Fleck 5600 SE, 64K Grain Water Softener...thoughts?

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:24 am
TonyOde wrote:
What do I want? I want what I need, good clean, soft water that will not damage appliances such as my new pricey washer and dryer, I do not want the stains I am seeing (is this a sign of high iron and my hague not doing its job?). I am not so much concerned about the salt usage as I am about having my water properly filtered and softened.

And IF this Fleck is not as good as I could have, what recommendation do you have as one that would be better suited, at a reasonable price?

Also, about testing the water.....although the numbers I posted are a year or so old....why can't those be used to determine my needs? Would my well water change that much from one year to the next?
Thanks

I meant how much do they want price wise for this softener?

Depending on your current water analysis data I would probably suggest a different resin and such in a larger softener that would give you better salt efficiency but... we need current data because your water could have changed over the last year or two. I will not use old data because it isn't smart, it's like using an old chest x-ray or blood test. And anyone that uses your old data, stay away from them except for an example only.
0 Replies

TonyOde

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:14 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
TonyOde wrote:
What do I want? I want what I need, good clean, soft water that will not damage appliances such as my new pricey washer and dryer, I do not want the stains I am seeing (is this a sign of high iron and my hague not doing its job?). I am not so much concerned about the salt usage as I am about having my water properly filtered and softened.

And IF this Fleck is not as good as I could have, what recommendation do you have as one that would be better suited, at a reasonable price?

Also, about testing the water.....although the numbers I posted are a year or so old....why can't those be used to determine my needs? Would my well water change that much from one year to the next?
Thanks

Depending on your current water analysis data I would probably suggest a different resin and such in a larger softener that would give you better salt efficiency but... we need current data because your water could have changed over the last year or two. I will not use old data because it isn't smart, it's like using an old chest x-ray or blood test. And anyone that uses your old data, stay away from them except for an example only.

They want 450.00 for the Fleck 5600 ES. I stopped by Sears Hardware today...they have free testing there. Just have to bring in samples which I will do asap. I will report back.
Thanks
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:04 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
That would be the 1%

What % of the systems you drop ship to online buyers is made by Clack?

Resin is much more than 1% of a softener. It's the heart of a softener.

Clack makes the plumbing connectors, the by-pass valve, the control valve, the top and bottom baskets and distributor tube, the brine tank, the salt grid, the brine well and cap, the brine pickup tube and they distribute/sell the gravel. That only leaves the resin tank and Structural, the world's largest tank manufacturer, makes it. I don't know who makes the paper the manual is printed on, or who prints it but... that's all the parts there are to ALL softeners.

You probably don't know it but they probably make most of that stuff you sell with your Fleck 2510 valve. And they've been doing it since 1946.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:08 pm
TonyOde wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

They want 450.00 for the Fleck 5600 ES. I stopped by Sears Hardware today...they have free testing there. Just have to bring in samples which I will do asap. I will report back.
Thanks

Be sure you get exactly how many ppm of iron and how many grains/gal of hardness, Not something like "man! that's high iron" and "very hard water".

The $450 for a 5600 2.0 cuft a year old is half plus the delivered price of my 2.0 cuft with a Clack WS-1 valve on it and the 'extras' I include. So you should be able to do better than the $450 they want. But if you learn more about the Clack WS-1, you may want one.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:19 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:

The $450 for a 5600 2.0 cuft a year old is half plus the delivered price of my 2.0 cuft with a Clack WS-1 valve on it and the 'extras' I include.
So you should be able to do better than the $450 they want. But if you learn more about the Clack WS-1, you may want one.

You should step up right now and do the right thing - sell him your properly sized Clack WS-1 with the 'extras' for $450.00 shipped to his door.

You still make money and everybody is happy - anything less would be a rip off.
0 Replies

hobbs

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:19 pm
Visions of a "cage match" . . .
between Gary & justalurker. From going to different boards the last 2 weeks it seems justalurker has a HUGE ax to grind with Gary? All I know for sure is Gary in one of only two internet dealers I have found that tell you about proper sizing and programing of correct salt dosages for the system you are purchasing. The other is NOT the one who justalurker recommends. As for the dig that Gary just drop ships parts, how do you think Boeing assembles airplanes? They have assembles shipped to them from all over the world.
0 Replies

harrorainsoft

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:55 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
The Ecowater brand is nothing more than a glorified Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool etc. with a HIGH price sold through a dealer instead of a big box store. They even look alike! They share the same control valve and tanks.

What makes the Ecowater any different than a Kenmore etc. and why don't they cost the same $800+/- instead of the $3500+/- the Ecowater dealer charges?

Scion, Toyota, and Lexus. All share parts. Price difference is ridiculous. And difference in quality is phenomenal.

Pontiac, GMC, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick.
Ford, Mercury, Lincoln.
Nissan, Infiniti.

Really, your reasoning is so flawed it's funny. You want more examples? I can go on for days with computer parts.
0 Replies

harrorainsoft

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:07 am
Re: Visions of a "cage match" . . .
hobbs wrote:
between Gary & justalurker. From going to different boards the last 2 weeks it seems justalurker has a HUGE ax to grind with Gary? All I know for sure is Gary in one of only two internet dealers I have found that tell you about proper sizing and programing of correct salt dosages for the system you are purchasing. The other is NOT the one who justalurker recommends. As for the dig that Gary just drop ships parts, how do you think Boeing assembles airplanes? They have assembles shipped to them from all over the world.

And Boeing assembles them before they are sold, tests each and every one to make sure it works exactly how it should, and why are you comparing an internet water softener to an airplane manufacturer? My understanding is that assembly is required when you receive the softeners. Also, Boeing will warranty their planes, Gary does not warranty the softeners himself.

And how do you know that his sizing is correct? He said I'd need a 1.5 cu. ft. tank, yet 2 local professionals said I only need 1 cu. ft. tank. The local professionals have been in the business for 45+ years and one of them normally only does commercial services. Unless you yourself are a water softener expert, I don't see how you can determine this.

Look, I'm not against Gary. He is wanting to help people and wanting to make sure they have the best softener he believes they can buy for the cheapest price. But, he also pushes hard to try and close a deal for his own personal benefit. Which is fine. But, he is too full of himself for his own good. And his reasoning for some things is completely absurd. And, all the back and forth crap is so damn confusing, I find it best NOT to read this forum to save yourself some headaches. Feeding the fire baby!
0 Replies

TonyOde

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:56 am
Wow, I start a thread asking about a softener, and this is what it turns into? Come on fellas, aren't we all adults here? This is a bit ridiculous to be honest.
Anyway, I got my water samples, took them back to Sears Hardware. There was a gentleman there I kinda knew. He seemed pretty knowledgable about wells systems, having grown up and now living with one. So, he tested my water, and said my current softener is working just fine. Said I could probably adjust it a little bit so it wont' use quite as much salt. I don't recall the readings he came up with, but I know one was the usage of 26 grains, and I think iron at .5.
The only thing he recommended was possibly putting on a whole house filter on my water line going into my softener. So I guess I'll stick with what I have for the time being.
Thanks
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 08:10 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
The Ecowater brand is nothing more than a glorified Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool etc. with a HIGH price sold through a dealer instead of a big box store. They even look alike! They share the same control valve and tanks.

What makes the Ecowater any different than a Kenmore etc. and why don't they cost the same $800+/- instead of the $3500+/- the Ecowater dealer charges?

harrorainsoft wrote:
Really, your reasoning is so flawed it's funny.

You paid $3000 for a softener.... you bought a local dealer...

And I see you are posting of salty water problems today, that's the day after it was installed and you think it is due to new resin... It isn't.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:14 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

harrorainsoft wrote:
Really, your reasoning is so flawed it's funny.

You paid $3000 for a softener.... you bought a local dealer...

And I see you are posting of salty water problems today, that's the day after it was installed and you think it is due to new resin... It isn't.

harrorainsoft wrote:

Hmm... how can you assume that I paid $3000? Do you really think that I would even consider paying that much for a water softener when I know I could get one online and have someone install it for a grand total of about $1000 max? Yeah... I think not.

I paid way less than $3000 for my EcoWater ERR 3502R30. All the piping of the old softener was replaced, the drain line was re-routed, new bypass valve, new faucet with soft water in the garage, AND 10 year warranty on both valve and control board, as well as lifetime warranty on both tanks.' And 1 year service warranty. Oh yeah, system comes with a wireless remote which tells me how much water i use daily, daily average usage, ability to start a regeneration cycle without lifting my ass off my chair, total gallons of water left before next cycle, how much salt left in the tank, when i will need to add salt, and all this other stuff. All for significantly LESS than $3000.

Please tell me that you can offer all of that. And if I were to sell this place, it costs $25 to transfer all the warranty stuff to the new owner.

To assume is to make an ASS out of U and ME. And assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups. These wise words were told me by very wise men.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:24 am
hobbs wrote:
between Gary & justalurker. From going to different boards the last 2 weeks it seems justalurker has a HUGE ax to grind with Gary?

Hobbs,

What seems to a casual observer as"an axe to grind" is an effort (appreciated by hundreds) to help others not make the same mistakes I did when investigating, shopping, and purchasing water treatment equipment. That effort has been spurred on by numerous personal attacks aimed directly at me, my wife, and my family when my comments regarding Gary are specifically aimed to his and methods of doing business during my actual experience.

Having done business with Gary Slusser I've earned the right to comment on the experience. I stand by each and every comment I have made regarding that experience on every forum and every comment is absolutely true and accurate regardless of how they strike you or whether you agree.

If you actually do check around the other self-help forums on the internet you will see that there are many people receiving honest, unbiased, and accurate water treatment information from real water treatment professionals without personal attacks, bullying, or (prohibited) sales pitches. The reason for that is that Slusser has been banned from those forums for exactly that behavior.

There is absolutely nothing that Gary Slusser offers that can not be found many other places for the same or lower cost and I recommend that those alternatives be investigated, simple as that.

The fact that the moderators here allow Slusser to make repeated personal attacks is a pity and lowers the appeal of this forum dramatically. There's room here (and everywhere) for people to disagree on any and every subject without being personally attacked.

Want to see the REAL Gary Slusser? Just look at Harrorainsoft's thread. After a polite and civil inquiry he was inclined to buy from other than Gary and the next post was Gary insulting him. Now that's professional, helpful, and ethical.

As far as drop shipping EVERYTHING, not just parts, Slusser bellows on the front page of his web site... "My offer to you: "Tell me what you want and I'll build it for you". The truth is that Gary never sees, touches, or builds ANYTHING that the customer receives and in my case I received the wrong color resin tank and Gary refused to get me the color I ordered because he didn't feel it really mattered... as the customer I did.

Since then, I've spent considerable time learning about water treatment and quite some time with a variety of control valves. I've honed my skills beyond Slusser's ability as I don't need the special tools that he requires to rebuild Fleck control valves. I've been helping MANY people in the area and adding when I felt I could to posts on these forums. I advocate research, competitive shopping, and checking locally to start and getting water tests from a certified lab rather than Huhey, Dewey, and Louie with test strips to identify exactly what needs to be treated in your water ESPECIALLY when you have well water. Slusser tales issue with that and he has every right, but many with common sense and an interest in their health and their wallet agree.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
justalurker wrote:

As far as drop shipping EVERYTHING, not just parts, Slusser bellows on the front page of his web site...
"My offer to you: "Tell me what you want and I'll build it for you".

The truth is that Gary never sees, touches, or builds ANYTHING that the customer receives ...

That's a fact jack!

I could never do that, I need to inspect everything before it goes to the end user.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:55 am
hobbs wrote:

justalurker has been following me around since we had an argument about the use of potassium chloride and how much the salt dose must be increased. That was in Aug 2005.
harrorainsoft wrote:
And Boeing assembles them before they are sold, tests each and every one to make sure it works exactly how it should, and why are you comparing an internet water softener to an airplane manufacturer? My understanding is that assembly is required when you receive the softeners. Also, Boeing will warranty their planes, Gary does not warranty the softeners himself.

All the parts of a softener except the resin, gravel and brine tank are operated and pressure tested etc. by the manufacturer before being sold to their distributor, that's my supplier.

Yes my customer spends roughly 30 minutes assembling their softener. They become intimately familiar with all the components and know it was put together correctly with the right volumes, types etc. materials.

The warranty is a manufacturer warranty against workmanship and materials failure over a specific time frame; 5 and 10 years. When there is a problem, in 3.75 years I've had 19-20 problems out of 880 sales of the Clack WS-1 control valve, I and/or the customer are supposed to troubleshoot and then I am supposed to receive and evaluate the 'bad' part and return it to the supplier for evaluation and then back to the manufacturer if needed. Then the supplier sends a new part to the customer. I DO NOT DO IT THAT WAY. I have the new part sent and then the customer sends the old part back to my supplier. Eventually I get a credit of my cost of the part, but not the freight cost.

Example; the end of Aug. a customer that had a problem in Jul 2004 and in Jul/Aug 2005 called with the same problem. I originally sent him a new stack and then a new stack and piston. The unit worked for 12-13 months each time. Now this Aug. I have a new circuit board sent. Same problem. I have a new control valve sent and that fixed the problem. He sent the circuit board and old valve back and I might get a credit in the next 3-4 months.

That is the hardest problem I've had in 21 years in this business, I still don't know for sure what was wrong with the valve. The customer was able to manually regenerate the unit so he had soft water but not automatically.

He spent roughly 1.5 hrs calling me and troubleshooting and changing parts over two weeks. All it cost him was less than $20 to ship the stuff back by UPS after I gave him the info and a RMA#. And if something else goes wrong, we'll do the same again. He has commented that he'd rather do this when needed than to have spent the additional $2800 the local dealer wanted ($3950) for the same thing in the same size. BTW, it is a 3.0 cuft softener. My record so far, a local dealer wanted $4995 for a 1.5 cuft with a Clack WS-1. I delivered one for $688.00, with my 'extras' that the local dealer didn't offer or include.

harrorainsoft wrote:
And how do you know that his sizing is correct? He said I'd need a 1.5 cu. ft. tank, yet 2 local professionals said I only need 1 cu. ft. tank. The local professionals have been in the business for 45+ years and one of them normally only does commercial services. Unless you yourself are a water softener expert, I don't see how you can determine this.

He may be a customer or just someone that has done all the research, as all should be doing... I suspect you didn't go to any resin manufacturers' web sites as I suggested. He probably has, so he knows about the SFR of resin and you and those "professionals" you mention don't.

harrorainsoft wrote:
Look, I'm not against Gary. He is wanting to help people and wanting to make sure they have the best softener he believes they can buy for the cheapest price.

No the "cheapest price" is not correct... the best softener and control valve for as low a price as possible, yes.

harrorainsoft wrote:
But, he also pushes hard to try and close a deal for his own personal benefit. Which is fine. But, he is too full of himself for his own good. And his reasoning for some things is completely absurd. And, all the back and forth crap is so damn confusing, I find it best NOT to read this forum to save yourself some headaches. Feeding the fire baby!

I pushed you! How? I didn't think you were a DIYer from your first post, and I asked you and you said you weren't. All I have done is to give you info to help you buy a softener locally. It's beside the point but think you're an idiot for spending $3000 for a softener, especially an Ecowater but up to now, I had no proof of your opinion of me.

As to my absurd reasoning... if you can find anything that I've said about softeners that is not true, please let me know. DON'T use gossip though, use facts from control valve and resin manufacturers not gossip from competitors or your buddy etc..

BTW, your softener is only sold in the residential market, what I proposed you look at is used in residential and commercial markets. What reasoning do think causes that? Also, many commercial softeners are assembled on site.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:10 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
justalurker has been following me around since we had an argument about the use of potassium chloride and how much the salt dose must be increased.

Not true... I've been following the self-help forums and reading the technical information from control valve and resin companies for way longer than that, leading up to active research and shopping for the Clunk softener I bought from you. I got sucked in by your sales drivel disguised as concerned and knowledgable information and learned a lot from the experience. Since then, I've learned volumes more.

I feel for the tens (hundreds?) of millions of people worldwide who think they have soft water when they really don't because you didn't size and sell them their softeners. All the info anyone could need or want is readily available for any who choose to pursue it. The alternative is to be a lemming and lead a salesman to their wallet. Blindly believing YOU is no different than blindly believing the people YOU say are ripoffs.

I found it more time effective to relegate the Clunk softener to doorstop duty than chase a problem for a few years and your admission that "I still don't know for sure what was wrong with the valve" speaks volumes for your (lack of) technical ability. Now I understand why you need to use the Fleck special tools.

I can get that level of service from Pep Boys and not have to wait for UPS or FedEx.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:29 pm
Strange that I nor you, or Google, can find any other of my customers sharing your opinions of me or the Clack control valve.

But then they listen to me and do it right. Maybe it's just you being irresponsible like I told you you where when you threatened me.

And since you never told me there was something wrong with your softener... who's fault is it that I didn't help you fix it?

BTW, one of those, as you call them better than me, experts... he just said yesterday that Clack copied the Fleck 7000!! Yet the Clack WS-1, 1.25 and IIRC, the 1.5 hit the market in early 2000-2005 and the 7000 was not released to dealers until Feb 1 2005...

He's also the same guy that said Clack had an indexing problem yet none of my suppliers or I have ever heard of it; but maybe the one I don't know what was wrong with had an indexing problem. It was sold in Jul 2004 just days before or after you you bought yours.

Another of those experts and you now, say that two hours for pre-brining is insufficient for salt to dissolve in the brine tank to 100% brine strength.... He actually says it takes many days to creat 100% briine. What a joke!! And you believe it!

If that were the case no twin tank, or many if not all the big box store brands, and Ecowater etc. softeners would ever work after the first regeneration. They ALL have pre brining Steve. So does the Fleck 6600, 6700, Proflo IIRC, the Clacks all have it too. And I'm probably forgetting a few.

I have all but 925 pre brined softeners (purchased online only) in/at customers' homes operating without problems. Those softeners are installed in utility rooms, basements, garages, crawl spaces and outdoors from Maine to Southern Calif to south TX (#1 state as to my sales) to south FL and to an island in the Puget Sound of extreme NW WA. But then there's yours in Edgewood NM and it has problems. LOL

I say it suffered from an operator error and the whiny operator is unwilling to take any responsibility for the problem.

I suspect you never wondered why I don't re-register (although I have on a few) and post on any of those forums you, Andy and DUNBAR PLUMBER got me banned from, including the two I decided to get myself banned from. Also, I suspect you don't know this but I have only once contacted admin anywhere about you (I was successful BTW) but I decided to not do that again. I'll bet you can't figure out why I did or didn't do those things.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:40 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
justalurker wrote:

As far as drop shipping EVERYTHING, not just parts, Slusser bellows on the front page of his web site...
"My offer to you: "Tell me what you want and I'll build it for you".

The truth is that Gary never sees, touches, or builds ANYTHING that the customer receives ...

That's a fact jack!

I could never do that, I need to inspect everything before it goes to the end user.

You two have no idea of the numbers of people that know that online dealers do not stock anything and drop ship everything.

They actually know what I mean by that "I'll build it for you" statement.

They also appreciate the lower prices they are charged as compared to the much higher prices a stocking dealer charges for the identical thing.

You guys should look at this stuff from the point of view my customers. You'd probably both feel better.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Strange that I nor you, or Google, can find any other of my customers sharing your opinions of me or the Clack control valve.

They are buying softeners from Sears.

Gary Slusser wrote:
And since you never told me there was something wrong with your softener... who's fault is it that I didn't help you fix it?

You just admitted that"I still don't know for sure what was wrong with the valve". I fixed it... made it a door stop. Now, it's an OK loaner.

Gary Slusser wrote:
Another of those experts and you now, say that two hours for pre-brining is insufficient for salt to dissolve in the brine tank to 100% brine strength.... He actually says it takes many days to creat 100% briine. What a joke!! And you believe it!

North American Salt engineer says so too. You know NASalt? They are the largest miner and supplier for softener salt and KCl in the western hemisphere.

You're right Gary. You know it all... the engineers at NASalt don't know salt and the people at Purolite don't know their resin and every and all other water treatment people on the planet know nothing or are wrong.

Fortunately for those who seek accurate information there are multitudes of levels above you who do know and are skilled in their fields where fact can be obtained and then an informed decision can be made.

I've never been banned from a self help forum and every forum you've been excused from is civil, respectful, and considerate... what a coincidence.
0 Replies

hobbs

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:35 pm
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

You guys are better than TV.

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/images/smilies/pound.gif
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:

You two have no idea of the numbers of people that know that online dealers do not stock anything and drop ship everything.

Those numbers are tiny and insignificant.
0 Replies