Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 02:09 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,267 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 02:16 pm
Republicans are not racist. They just hate poor people no matter if they are black, brown or white.

(Really, I don't think race is the problem)
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 02:24 pm
Greeny, you may be right. But, perhaps, you have to have lived in the South to really know.

It might just be politics, whereby the whites are afraid that the blacks will take control. For instance, Mississippi is about 50 percent black, but the whites have retained control for the most part.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 02:32 pm
I don't know about American politics.
I can only form my own opinion from the American souces.

"Segregation in the South is a way of LIFE.
It is precious and Sacred Custom.
It is one of our Dearest and most Tresured possession.
It is the Means whereby we live to
Social peace, Order and Security"---Judge Thomas P Brady
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 02:55 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I don't know about American politics.
I can only form my own opinion from the American souces.

...Judge Thomas P Brady

Your "American source" is one of the most radical segregationist judges and your quote is from the early 1960's?? You need new sources.

I think the Republican party leadership is not racist per say, but they are clearly courting the dwindling racist population, not only of the South, but of the mid-West and the anti-immigrant population of the Southwest. In my lifetime, I have seen open racism give way to private racism and that give way to closet racism. Even in the deep South, it is no longer acceptable to make racist comments in public although it occasionally pops up in disguish like in the immigration debate. I believe that the Gen Xers will be the first full generation to benefit from these changes and as they inherit the reigns of power, we will go from an era of baby boomers actively rejecting the racism they learned as children to leaders who didn't learn racism at their parents' feet. We've seen good progress over the last 40 years, but it will be the Gen Xers who really get us there.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:03 pm
thanks for your clarification Engneer.

"We are all decendants of Adam and
we are all product of racial miscegenation.--Lester B Pearson
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:10 pm
Thank you engineer...I live here in the South and I am so frustrated by the tired claims that we are not making progress. I think we are. My kids do not see a difference in children of color and themselves. It pleases me to no end. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:46 pm
From my perspective we are not making progress overall. We are making progress in some areas and we are getting worse in other areas.

Look at what is happening to Arab-Americans.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:15 pm
engineer wrote:

Even in the deep South, it is no longer acceptable to make racist comments in public although it occasionally pops up in disguish like in the immigration debate. I believe that the Gen Xers will be the first full generation to benefit from these changes and as they inherit the reigns of power, we will go from an era of baby boomers actively rejecting the racism they learned as children to leaders who didn't learn racism at their parents' feet. We've seen good progress over the last 40 years, but it will be the Gen Xers who really get us there.

I am far more pessimistic. I think the level of racism is the same... just the targets of racism change.

The slurs of Hispanics... and especially of Arabs made by public figures are as bad as hateful comments have ever been.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 06:01 pm
I think there is solid progress in interracial relations. However, I think there is a long way to go, and that Krugman is dead on.

I live in South Carolina, and I now see a lot of interracial dating and marriage. This is a step in the right direction.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:02 pm
Yes, I live in NC and see the same thing. We're working on it, but our children will go farther in eliminating racism than we can imagine. Every now and then you get a glimpse of what racism looks like elsewhere and realize how far we've come even if we have a long way to go. When Boris Becker decided to marry a black woman, his wife and later his children received death threats from his adoring German public. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine that in the US if a popular sports figure entered an interracial marriage. Forty years ago, yes. Today, no.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:34 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
engineer wrote:

Even in the deep South, it is no longer acceptable to make racist comments in public although it occasionally pops up in disguish like in the immigration debate. I believe that the Gen Xers will be the first full generation to benefit from these changes and as they inherit the reigns of power, we will go from an era of baby boomers actively rejecting the racism they learned as children to leaders who didn't learn racism at their parents' feet. We've seen good progress over the last 40 years, but it will be the Gen Xers who really get us there.

I am far more pessimistic. I think the level of racism is the same... just the targets of racism change.

The slurs of Hispanics... and especially of Arabs made by public figures are as bad as hateful comments have ever been.

I suppose I'm less pessimistic on this point having seen the changes in American society (re african americans) over the last 40 or 50 years.

But directing attention towards other contemporary targets of racist sentiment is valid. Re arabs, we see the concomitant anxiety that white/western culture is threatened...a boilerplate racist notion.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:43 am
I could not disgreee more with Krugman on this position.

"Last Thursday there was a huge march in Jena, La., to protest the harsh and unequal treatment of six black students arrested in the beating of a white classmate. Students who hung nooses to warn blacks not to sit under a "white" tree were suspended for three days; on the other hand, the students accused in the beating were initially charged with second-degree attempted murder.
"

The problem is not that the black student was punished too severly.
It is that they did not punish thew white kid s for hanging the rope on the tree.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:53 am
woiyo wrote:

"Last Thursday there was a huge march in Jena, La., to protest the harsh and unequal treatment of six black students arrested in the beating of a white classmate. Students who hung nooses to warn blacks not to sit under a "white" tree were suspended for three days; on the other hand, the students accused in the beating were initially charged with second-degree attempted murder.
"

It is that they did not punish thew white kid s for hanging the rope on the tree.

And this you consider evidence of racial equality?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:52 am
Um, of course it's racism. There's a heavy element of Racism in the 'southern strategy.' They just use code words and different tactics to promote it.

Here's Lee Atwater describing how it works:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:47 am
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:03 pm
So as a passive participant of this forum I wish to pour forth my views.
I had never been to USA nor I will till my death.
My blood family members are there and I have enough informations about racial problems in USA.
Racial problems are still there in USA( not only reps or dems)
THIS IS A2K and not Abuzz.
So I wish to follow your observations
and as a mark of respect
I quote this which reflects my views.

"Well-adjusted people may get caught up in a tangle of social forces that makes them goose-step their way toward such abominations as the calculated execution of 6 million jews.....
It may be comforting to believe that the horrors of of WW2 were the work of a dozen or so insane men, but it is a DANGEROUS belief,
one that may give a false sense of security."
-------------------------------------------- Melly Harrower------------
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:36 pm
Ramafuchs, its difficult to understand what it is you are trying to say. Furthermore, what you are injecting into this thread is not germane to the subject under discussion. The question is not whether or not racism exists in the United States--anyone who would deny that would be a fool. But racism exists in every corner of the globe. The Turks were free to come work in Germany for over fifty years, but neither they nor their children born in Germany are citizens, while someone of German descent who has never set foot on German soil has the right to go there and become a citizen upon arrival. The National Front in England would like nothing better than to crack every skull covered in brown skin they can lay their hands on.

The question is specific to the political institutions of the United States, specifically, a question of whether or not the Republican Party is covertly racist. For as interesting as your comments might be, if they were coherent, they are not on topic.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:03 pm
The fact is this.
Republicans are as worst as Hindu fundamentalist or Islam fanatics.
Regarding racism I had aired my views with a quote relevant to the subject of this topic.
If you think that it is flippant and nonsense, I beg you to ask the moderators to delecte my views..
But allow me to observe the views.
Thanks
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:41 pm
woiyo wrote:

"

They didnt punish the white kids enough, thats true.

BUT,there is a big difference between hanging a noose in a tree and actually beating somebody.

Should the kids that hung the noose have been punished more?
YES they should have.

But,they didnt assault anyone, they didnt beat anyone, and they didnt use a gang to attack one person.

That is the difference.

Advocate,
As far as giving DC a voting member in Congress, that would require changing the Constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Washington%2C_D.C.

Quote:
Throughout much of its history, Washington D.C. residents lacked representation in the Federal government. The Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution, ratified in 1961, gave the District representation in the electoral college. The 1973 District of Columbia Home Rule Act provided the local government more control of affairs, including direct election of the city council and mayor. Because it is not a state, the District of Columbia still lacks voting rights in Congress.

Quote:
Amendment 23 - Presidential Vote for District of Columbia. Ratified 3/29/1961. History

1. The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct: A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment.

2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

And for your education, here is the District of Columbia Home Rule Act...

http://www.abfa.com/ogc/hrtall.htm

So,until DC actually becomes a state,they cannot have a voting member of congress, according to the constitution.
0 Replies