Canadian dollar wother more then US greenback.

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:43 am
The Canadian dollar opened on par with the American greenback for the first time in over 30 years.
I'm no economist, so I have no idea what the implications on the US currency or economy will be.
I have heard that the Euro is comparitively very strong....

Even though Canada has a mere 32 million people does this, or will this impact the US economy at all? If so, how? If not, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 838 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:50 am
Of course it will, the canadian looney will allow our northern alien folks the opportunity to buy more imported goods from the USA such as space heaters for their igloos.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:41 am
The Loonie's strong against the Euro as well.

Good news for Canadians who aren't living on U.S. or European pensions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:59 am
Re: Canadian dollar wother more then US greenback.
candidone1 wrote:
I have heard that the Euro is comparitively very strong....

Quote:
Euro roars to record high 1.4120 dollars

The euro raced to an all-time high of 1.4120 dollars on Friday as the US currency came under heavy selling pressure on expectations of further interest rate cuts in the United States.

The European single currency leapt past 1.41 dollars for the first time since its creation in 1999 following a Federal Reserve warning that US mortgage market woes could worsen.

The euro later pulled back to stand at 1.4074 dollars, which compared with 1.4065 dollars in New York late on Thursday.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:05 am
i hate when that happens. now when i'll go back to slovakia i will be the "poor relative from america".
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:56 am
Hmmm....interesting.

I remember hearing a while back that there were fears (in the US) that the American dollar may no longer be the currency used to measure oil prices. Has the rising loonie and the long term strength of the Euro done anything to legitimize that fear? Or is that an entirely different issue.

I'm pretty clueless about economics, especially with respect to the US dollar being the international standard for trade.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:20 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Of course it will, the canadian looney will allow our northern alien folks the opportunity to buy more imported goods from the USA such as space heaters for their igloos.

You don't need a space heater in your igloo if you wear a toque, a parka and pair of mukluks.

Don't you know nuttin'?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:28 pm
Re: Canadian dollar wother more then US greenback.

I love it when that happens! Especially right before I go to the US!

It'll be like playing monopoly...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:31 pm
Some people say I'm a no 'count. Others say I'm no good.
But I'm just a nat'ral-born travelin' man, doin' what I think I should, O, yeah. Doin' what I think I should.

[Chorus:]
And I don't give a damn about a greenback dollar, spend it as fast as I can.
For a wailin' song and a good guitar, the only things that I understand, poor boy, the only things that I understand.

When I was a little baby, my momma said, "Hey, son. Travel where you will and grow to be a man
And sing what must be sung, poor boy. Sing what must be sung."

[Chorus]

Now that I'm a grown man, I've traveled here and there. I've learned that a bottle of brandy and a song,
The only ones who ever care, poor boy, the only ones who ever care.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
Finally! Now I can use my US quarters to get stuff on the cheap from those Canadian vending machines.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:13 pm
No such thing as cheap stuff in vending machines anymore, bubba.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:42 am
I wanted all these years and now no cheap stuff for my quarters? Boy, life isn't fair.
0 Replies