The Cairns Diaries

hingehead

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:42 pm
@Izzie,
Hi Iz

It's all back to normal. Floods gone. Food on shelves. Drama over until the next cyclone or croc attack!
msolga

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:11 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
It's all back to normal. Floods gone. Food on shelves. Drama over until the next cyclone or croc attack!

Hooray!

You survived!Very Happy
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:34 am
@hingehead,
Ahhhhhhh.... good news HH - so pleased to hear it!

Now... if we just get Victoria to cool down........

verra happy all is good with you and yours love. x
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:51 am
Over 500 reported cases of Dengue now. An 80 year old woman died of it this week.

A local GP says that there are around 15 different mosquito-borne viruses doing the rounds of Cairns at the moment, with Dengue being the worst. It feels like everyone's at least a little sick, headaches, itching, muscle aches, bronchial issues.

We've had a week of 'non-wet season weather' hot but not humid, lots of sun. Nice.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:04 am
Welcome Hamish, to FNQ

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.gif?1236313132981

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:48 am
Please keep us posted, hinge. Looks rather onimous!

(For a minute there, reading your post, I thought that "Hamish" was a new poster & a new resident to FNQ! Wink )
hingehead

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:52 am
@msolga,
We're all rather blase about it - let's hope it wipes out townsville and leaves us alone !!JOKE!!!
Izzie

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 07:14 am
@hingehead,
Oh Man.... another one! I guess you're used to all these weather systems but... man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dengue too......................... nasty nasty nasty.

Take care hun. x
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 08:08 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

We're all rather blase about it - let's hope it wipes out townsville and leaves us alone !!JOKE!!!

A bit tasteless! It could cause thousand of dollars worth of improvements.

Seriously though, send him down Brisvegas way. We still need a some buffer in the dams.
hingehead

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:58 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
Seriously though, send him down Brisvegas way. We still need a some buffer in the dams.

The threat map (above) is constantly updated - we're out of danger but it does look like he's on his way to brisvegas (at least Hervey Bay)!
Eorl

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:56 am
@hingehead,
Yeah, looks that way. Yikes. Cat 5 huh. Folks in the Whitsundays should be feeling a little wary about now.
hingehead

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:56 am
@Eorl,
Bloody hell! A cat 5 at Hayman! I hope Long Island is OK (fond memories).
Eorl

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:14 am
@hingehead,
I think they evacuated Long and South Molle, on account of them being kinda flat. Apparently this is co-inciding with the biggest tides of the year.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:43 am
@hingehead,
Quote:

um ... are there any Townsville A2Kers? You'd better watch your back, hinge! Wink

I just heard, driving back home from the country this afternoon, that Hamish has been down-graded. I'm hoping that makes things a bit less nasty at your end ... & townsville's!! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 01:46 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
A bit tasteless! It could cause thousand of dollars worth of improvements

Shocked

What a tasteless comment, Eorl! Wash your mouth! Wink

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:43 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

Shocked ...and be careful what you wish for, ya frikkin' moron! Neutral

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:45 am
@Eorl,

Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:10 am
Hamish is down to a Cat 4 (only 260kmh winds!). So far he stayed away from the coastline but each community he passes is sweating on him making a sudden right turn. Let's hope he peters out as cross the coastline and drops a bunch of monsoonal rain in the brisbane catchment area.
hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:10 am
Cairns lost all electricity for about twenty minutes tonight. Third time this year we've lost power for no reason (but at least this time I didn't have to drive home from work through dud traffic lights). Kind of like a little taste of living in a third world country.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Hamish is down to a Cat 4 (only 260kmh winds!).

Only 260 kmh winds. Hey, you got off lightly!Wink

Just being silly, hinge. You must be so sick & tired of this!