The Cairns Diaries

roger

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:40 am
@hingehead,
Good news on the insurance. It doesn't sound at all like they are trying to duck responsibility. Still, the inconvenience and hassle. . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:43 am
@hingehead,
I had you still in Cairns, hinge, so it's a jump but I I'm fine with jumping.

I won't natter at you about where you are, I'll save that for later, when you're vulnerable (kidding).

Hang in.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 02:46 am
@hingehead,
I'm really sorry to hear all this, hinge.

I hope you managed to salvage all the important family stuff. Everything else can be replaced.

Hope you get sorted soon.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 12:38 pm
Well, damn!

2am Sunday is not a good time to find you or something is incontinent! Or in house!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 04:36 am
@hingehead,
Hinge! Damn!!!!!!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:21 pm
Well still in tiny concrete bunker that is our home until our house is fixed. Still not used to being under a flight path. The 4am wakes me most mornings so I'm usually at work early. But to day having my february op day to run errands. First up archie to vet and the two girls to dog shavIng But worried because cyclone Nathan is bringing a lot of rain (woke me two mornings in a row before the 4am flight.

Mrs hinge 3000km away looking after her mum and yorkeys knob is regularly isolated by flood water. What if I get stuck on the other side wjth three furries and one is still in the bunker?

The logistical worries of the cairns wet.

Ps looks we have another 8 weeks in this box.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:26 pm
@hingehead,
Take all the furries with you on the errands?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:27 pm
@hingehead,
can 4th furry go to daycare where 2 are being groomed (I used to do that occasionally because of errrrrr logistics)

8 more weeks? you'll be more than ready for a celebratory home-coming by then
hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:31 pm
@ehBeth,
No such thing as pet daycare here that I know of, and ive left it a litte late. Dogs apptmt 830 archie 845. Once I took all four to the vet at the same time. Now that was a challenge worthy of Survivor.
margo

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:38 pm
@hingehead,
Skip the vetting and such and stay home.

Things are starting to look soggy up there again!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 05:13 pm
Vet is minding archie while have a big brekkie in the mall. Two hours to kill until dogs are done. But the cafe has wifi and I know the waitress. She wworked at beethovens when I first got to cairns in 2005 and we both remember each other. Apparently I'm still drinking my coffee the same way.
hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 07:42 pm
@hingehead,
Home now and all is well with the world.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 08:01 pm
@hingehead,
Hinge, as you could figure out if you reread my posts, I'm not clear if you have been in Cairns or Estonia, so my comments are flibberygibbet.

Whichever, glad all well.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 08:07 pm
@hingehead,
ahh home at the bunker

hope all the furry characters are well
hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 10:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I saw osso but didnt feel the need to correct you. I was in 'Estonia' only in terms of superimposing a map of australia onto a map of europe. So yes still domiciled in cairns.
hingehead

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 10:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep beth all the furries are good and the girls look very pretty. My well laid plans of tidying up for mrs hinge's return tomorrow have hit a snag. The entire laundromat in yorkeys is out of order so the bunker looks like a chinese laundry.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:09 pm
Can't believe that to the hour the 9th anniversary of Cyclone Larry we will have Cyclone Nathan. In the wee hours of my birthday again. When we've booked a luxury hotel overnight. Again. Still haven't decided whether to cancel or not. Cairns at the very edge but hotel is in Port Douglas. We were both looking forward to a hot bath (bunker doesn't have one)

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.png?1426715793679
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:20 pm
@hingehead,
and all he wanted for his birthday was a hot bath

_______

head the opposite direction?
hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I confess Mrs Hinge wants it more than I - I just want to make her happy. She's very stressed because she can't buy me the birthday present she planned - because we don't have a house to put it in. I'm happy for a raincheck but she's not. Add to that her mother's cancer and dementia and last week's family wrangling in NSW (and occasional (needless) doubts about taking a package from the public service) she feels like everything's going pearshaped.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:50 pm
@hingehead,
that is an awful lot to take on

really - is there a spa type place in the opposite direction that would serve the hot bath and birthday happiness purpose?