The Cairns Diaries

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 03:26 pm
@ossobuco,
We have an abundance of checklists, like: http://cyclones.incairns.net.au/2011/01/31/cyclone-preparation-checklist/

Basically make sure there are no potential missiles in your yard.
Make sure you've got plenty of drinking water.
Pick a safe place to ride it out (unfortunately we don't a building tradition of storm cellars)

We've got a three room granny flat downstairs. Spent last night getting stuff together. We've got light (candles, torches, flood light, generator) . Food for 4 days. A fan (34C at 98% humidity is not fun). Battery operated radios (actually mp3 players) . Mrs Hinge made plenty of ice. The back up kitty litter is in place. I started work early today so I can leave with plenty of daylight to secure the yard and the furniture on the top balcony. Things like wheely bins and green bags have to be stashed away.

Then when it's done I sit and worry about all the trees around our house - Larry knocked the tops off them in 2006 - fortunately they stayed in the tree until afterwards.

With Larry we were at the outer edge of the eye and went three days without power - thus the generator this time.

Mrs Hinge's theories is the more prepared we are the less likely we are to need the preparations.

We're on high ground so not worried about floods or high seas, but I am concerned about Cairns Base Hospital - it's right on the Esplanade.
Eorl

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 04:56 pm
@hingehead,
You don't want it heading for Cooktown Hinge, that would put you on the southern edge, and that's the worst bit.

9AM Live press conf on QPS MEDIA website as well as the Telly I assume.

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 06:14 pm
@Eorl,
Ok then, it's Port Moresby's turn to step up to the plate!
margo

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 07:36 pm
@hingehead,
Fingers crossed, then, hinge and Mrs hinge.

The ads at the bottom of this page were for ice makers and long life torches! (and something to do with a political party!) (just changed to Dating Queensland!)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:17 pm
@hingehead,
Thanks for even answering, ayiyi..
I tend to agree with Mrs. Hinge re preparedness, hope she's right.
Glad you're at higher elevation.
I've never had a storm cellar that I know of, but my last house had a basement, about four feet below grade and another 3 feet or so above grade, with a drain from it to the sewer system. (Maybe that's a storm cellar, dunno). It would flood about once every two years when the city drainage system backed up.

Just read that they are thinking of evacuating the hospital patients to Brisbane, (or sending some home).
roger

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:19 pm
@margo,
Now, it's battery powered candles. Great for power failures when you're stuck with lots of batteries.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, basement, storm cellar, them things - you always see them in American films and TV shows. We don't got any.

I have to buy a gas ring, tin shears, and deodorant on the way home tonight.
msolga

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:51 pm
@hingehead,
How's it going, possum?
Oh & Mrs Hinge & the critters, too. Smile
You must be feeling pretty stuffed after all this preparation.

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@msolga,
Still at work, big afternoon planned. Yuck. Admin has said we should do what ever we need to do to ensure our safety. Sweeties.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:02 pm
@hingehead,
Can you leave early? Could get a little hairy out there re traffic, craziness. In a different situation years ago, I was consulting for a person who was a later business partner, and Los Angeles started to go into a flames/looting/urban chaos thing - which we picked up on the radio at maybe 3 in the afternoon, and decided to go home. We ended up glad we did. Next day, the place right next door had been semi-decimated, as were other places in the neighborhood..
Depends on circumstances, I guess, re how close you are to stores and home.

Agree with msolga, re thinking of your pets - especially re the sounds and pressures of very heavy winds.
msolga

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:12 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Still at work, big afternoon planned. Yuck. Admin has said we should do what ever we need to do to ensure our safety. Sweeties.

That's very obliging of them. (or maybe that's what has to be done, is more to the point.)
Watching developments & listening closely, hinge.

I know you can't take too much time out to post on the internet, but we'll definitely be thinking of you as you go through this.
Make sure you all stay safe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:15 pm
Checking in to say we'll be thinking of the hingers and their neighbours. Be safe.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I started early so I can leave early anyway. Cairns is rural suburban, so not expecting major traffic jams. Looting not a major concern either. Currently just hoping no-one dies.

A new work buddy has just moved up from Sydney - welcome to Cairns. Their moving van was delayed by the floods, finally arrived yesterday, so no longer covered by old insurance policy and the new home insurer won't let them increase their coverage for the recently arrived stuff because there's a cyclone coming.

Insurance companies are outdoing the banks in bad PR in Queensland right now. Stories on the news last night that an insurer was refusing to pay out on destroyed homes because their hydrologist said water rising from the water table had hit the house an hour before the flood waters washed it away, and the home was only covered for the latter, not the former.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 09:25 pm
@hingehead,
Good, good.

Awful re your work buddy and the insurance mess.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 02:28 am
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml

For perspective, Australia is about the same size as the USA without Alaska.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 03:52 am
@hingehead,
Storm cellars are only found in "tornado alley," that section of the midwest and the Great Plains where such storms are common. There has been a slow movement in recent years for people to build a sturdy interior room in a house in Florida or along the Gulf Coast, a room which will withstand a hurricane, and which will protect the people inside from objects which become lethal projectiles due to the effects of the storm. They're still somewhat uncommon, though.
hingehead

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:11 am
@Setanta,
The cyclone advice says 'select the strongest room, usually the smallest'. We won't fit in the dunny (US=John). So the besser block granny flat will have to have us, two dogs and two cats until Mrs Hinge feels safe again.
msolga

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:34 am
@hingehead,
Just checking on how you're going, hinge.

How are you holding up?

So it will be bedtime soon, all of you in the granny flat?

And just checked the ABC news to check the progress of Cyclone Yasi. (Lots of info linked to this page, for any of you who are interested. Video reports, live radio streaming, a map tracking the cylcone, etc ...)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/01/3127249.htm
msolga

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 06:29 am
Quote:
Yasi could become category five monster
February 1, 2011 - 6:38PM
http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/2011/02/01/2161740/cycloneyasi420-420x0.jpg
The huge cyclone approaches the Australian coast from the Coral Sea. Photo: Reuters/Japan Meteorological Agency

Tropical Cyclone Yasi could become a category five monster packing 300kmh winds by the time it crosses the Queensland coast, the weather bureau has warned.

Latest Bureau of Meteorology modelling shows Yasi making landfall at Cairns early on Thursday morning as one of the likely scenarios.

Authorities doorknocking homes in north Queensland are now ordering people to leave their properties, amid fears Yasi will cause a two-metre storm surge. ...<cont>

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/yasi-could-become-category-five-monster-20110201-1abmx.html
msolga

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 06:41 am
@msolga,
Looks like Wednesday afternoon /night in the granny flat bunker then, hinge?

(But you must be fast asleep now, after all your hard work today ... Good night!)
0 Replies