Maintenance notice 9/19/2007

Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
Oh, that URL is obvious enough -- in retrospect. Thanks, tinygiraffe!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Thanks for getting rid of those popups. They were really annoying.

I've never had a pop-up on this site. Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer -- that should solve a lot of your pop-up problems.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
Joe, You read my mind; I downloaded FireFox yesterday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:01 am
The pages seem a bit wide today.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:12 am
Roberta wrote:
Are reports of spam getting through? Without the responding e-mail, it's hard to know.
jespah wrote:
We're not getting much in the way of reports on the Help Desk.
I can't submit a ticket through the Contact Us or the Help Desk.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:02 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
is the search feature going to become premium?

i can get to it by typing in a simple url, but i can't find a link to it from any page, and i don't want to circumvent anything that might earn a ban.

I put it back, had forgotten it.

TTH wrote:
I can't submit a ticket through the Contact Us or the Help Desk.

That's not a bug, it's a feature!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:24 pm
Now that you wrote it, it is....nice catch phrase.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:51 pm
What about the A2K Amazon link?

Several years ago you gave me a link to copy so that I could ordered directly--and impulsively--without visiting A2K every time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:54 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
What about the A2K Amazon link?

Several years ago you gave me a link to copy so that I could ordered directly--and impulsively--without visiting A2K every time.

It's still there where it has always been, on the home page.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 01:09 pm
Walter--

Several years ago I asked Craven whether I could copy that A2K link in my "Favorites" list to ensure some piddling percentage of my orders were credited to A2k.

He said he'd check and then gave me a link that was a little more complicated than amazon.com. This link no longer works.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:42 pm
Noddy, try this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/104-4721450-0959916?ie=UTF8&keywords=search&tag=able2know-20&Go.x=12&index=blended&Go.y=10&link%5Fcode=qs
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:34 pm
thanks craven.

aha, i see it! while we're on the subject of links, where can i go to find out how to post url's that won't get deleted by mods?

i mentioned how to get portableapps, (someone asked for something) which afaik is a free (and open source) site, but that post joined the choir invisible.

if links are that much of an issue, it's a board quirk i can tolerate, but it would be easier to do so if knew which ones to not bother posting.

and don't get me wrong- this is a great board.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:40 pm
Jes--

Thanks. The second volume of Paul Kearney's The Sea Beggars should be credited to A2K--second hand, of course.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:46 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:

aha, i see it! while we're on the subject of links, where can i go to find out how to post url's that won't get deleted by mods?

The current policy (it is slated to change) is in the TOS, but the basics are that sites affiliated with the poster are removed. Sometimes mods will make mistakes with this policy but it is what it is.

I happen to think the policy is currently too draconian, but that's not their fault either. In the future much of that kind of moderation will be in the hands of the users themselves but until we finish the new version of the site and launch the "democracy" feature the policies are what they are.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:04 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:

The current policy (it is slated to change) is in the TOS, but the basics are that sites affiliated with the poster are removed. Sometimes mods will make mistakes with this policy but it is what it is.

I happen to think the policy is currently too draconian, but that's not their fault either. In the future much of that kind of moderation will be in the hands of the users themselves but until we finish the new version of the site and launch the "democracy" feature the policies are what they are.
With all due respect, for those that don't know what "TOS" is, it is in the "Disclaimer - Terms of Use" at the bottom of the page.

Edit: I am still getting pop-ups from Puyallup & now Tacoma Shocked
I don't live there Twisted Evil
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:00 am
that's fine, i admit to usually ignoring the tos/faq (i knew the term, but it's a good point) on most phpbb (you know? i can code a little in php but i don't know what it stands for...) forums, as i've never seen one that deviated from the default that comes preinstalled. i do look for stickies, which are common.

i'm affiliated with two sites, one is down and the other has "tinygiraffe" on the front. i won't be linking to them or any (known)commericial sites, but i'll watch to see if the rules open up, thanks.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:47 am
Now I get this:

"Not Found
The requested URL /zonetags/a2k/leaderboardros.php was not found on this server."

Good, I am glad it is lost Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:55 am
Craven - You are such a tease with your little hints here and there of whats to come. The tension / anticipation is killing me!

Tiny - you can include personal links in your profile. Just not currently allowed as open self promotion on threads is my understanding. Once you include a personal link in your profile a new button will appear at the bottom of each of your posts that people can click on if they want to.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:19 pm
Yep.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:21 pm
jespah wrote:
Yep.

You make me hot when you're really succinct.

Embarrassed
0 Replies