Is the international society democratic?

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:48 pm
It's a simple question for academic purposes.

Today I got into a debate with a classmate on whether the international society is a democratic society or not.

My view is that it is not.

We have had it proved over and over through the past centuries, on war history. If one disagrees but has enough economic power to impose its ideal, then democracy does not prevail.

Basically, powerfull states are sovereign to the international law.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 638 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 09:48 pm
economic power can thwart democracy internationally?

what about within the united states? do we have democracy here, or have economic powers imposed their ideal?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:09 pm
Re: Is the international society democratic?
superjuly wrote:

Today I got into a debate with a classmate on whether the international society is a democratic society or not.

Being that there is no International governing body that has the power or authority to exert control over every nation in the world I'd say no. For the "International society" to be a democratic society we'd all have to be a part of the same agreed upon society.

The UN comes as close as there is but it isn't universal (Switzerland, Taiwan, Tongo, etc.. aren't members of the UN) and complainace with agreements is completely voluntary. Some might argue that this isn't necessary but I would argue that by these countries not being members of the UN, they are seperate societies.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:42 pm
What is your definition of "the international society."

The Bretton Woods system of international monetary management? Or simply inclusive of whatever the hell you want it to be so it can fit your thesis?

Personally, I like the International Society of Weights and Measurements. They vote democratically.

Start with economic agreements follow through with trade agreements, finish up with legal agreements and tell what is within their penumbra, then let's discuss.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:03 pm
kuvasz wrote:
What is your definition of "the international society."

The Bretton Woods system of international monetary management? Or simply inclusive of whatever the hell you want it to be so it can fit your thesis?

Personally, I like the International Society of Weights and Measurements. They vote democratically.

Start with economic agreements follow through with trade agreements, finish up with legal agreements and tell what is within their penumbra, then let's discuss.

Iternational society is a term used in international relations - defined, for example by James Mayall or by Robert Jackson. Mayall traces it back to the Peace of Westphalia, and its sovereignty formula (cuius regio eius religio) that challenged the supreme authority of the Pope and kings. It would involve international law (peace treaties, covenants, agreements), regimes (system of agreements governing certain areas - water, environment...)... But it also involves major scholarly writings and traditions... - simply a loose system of laws, customs, traditions, principles.... that inform the behavior of international actors....

....roughly anyway, from what i remember.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:22 pm
Here is a link for anyone crazy enough to read the whole text:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/polis/englishschool/buzan02b.doc

The Primary Institutions of International Society 1
Barry Buzan
For BISA Conference
London
December 2002

...i rather like it... and a note: the term liberal in IR does not mean the same thing as in politics...ah, nevermind, nobody's gonna read the whole thing anyway Smile
0 Replies