WEEKEND BOX OFFICE 3/14: Robots Rule!

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:55 am
Shrek 2 is fabulous!

I literally laughed til I cried.

It's quite a moralistic tale, much as Shrek was. I guess it's all about hiding the moral of the story - to make it more palatable.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:06 pm
Exit polls reveal many will go back to see it again -- adults to pick-up on a lot of inside jokes on various subjects but most pointedly the film industry itself.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:00 am
TOP STORY
World's Greek chic at the B.O.
'Troy' supreme as 'Shrek' girds for battle

By Don Groves

Demonstrating more firepower abroad than at home, "Troy's" flag flew atop the B.O. in 55 markets last weekend.
Meanwhile, "Shrek 2" ruled in five Asian territories and the Cannes fest proved a good launching pad for "The Motorcycle Diaries" and "Bad Education."

Trojan War epic captured an estimated $71 million on a massive 10,272 screens in 58 markets, marking the industry's sixth biggest weekend ever and the studio's third best behind the last two "Matrix" installments. Its international cume soared to $146.9 million, leaving domestic's $86 million in its wake.

"Troy" is a sure bet to sail to $250 million but whether or not it reaches $300 million will depend on how it stands up to "The Day After Tomorrow," which launches this weekend day-and-date on 8,234 prints in 100 countries, blanketing the world except Japan and South Korea.

Brad Pitt/Eric Bana starrer "Troy" seized pole position as it marched int! o 11 markets and it was No. 1 again in its soph sessions in 44 out of 47 territories.

No Pitt stop

Pic, helmed by Wolfgang Petersen, commanded $10.9 million from 506 locations in the U.K. (including $4.3 million in sneaks), the territory's biggest debut this year and Warners' fifth highest.

Japan delivered an impressive $6.1 million on 568 screens, with previews, although, sans sneaks, 8% below "The Last Samurai." Italy registered $6.3 million on 822 (WB's fourth highest three-day preem) and South Korea stumped up $4.6 million on 305 (the distrib's third biggest).

"Troy" posted the industry's fifth biggest bow in Russia ($3.4 million on 230), No. 4 of all time in Taiwan ($2.6 million on 240, with sneaks) and the best for an R-rated release in Denmark ($1.5 million on 78, also including previews).

Adaptation of Homer's epic held tenaciously in its second voyages, banking $19.7 million so far in Germany, down 9%; $10.6 million in France, slipping 9%; and $12.! 5 million in Spain, off 31%. Other stellar hauls include Australia's $ 9.1 million (declining by 35%), Mexico's $8.5 million (retreating by 25%), and Brazil's $4.2 million.

Ogre gobbles Asia

Unleashed on Friday, "Shrek 2" gobbled up $646,000 on 37 in Hong Kong, $552,000 on 26 in Singapore, $353,000 on 81 in the Philippines, $350,000 on 67 in Thailand and $170,000 on 31 in Malaysia.

The sequel more than doubled the original's first three days in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines, and it beat "Finding Nemo's" three-day bows in Singapore and the Philippines. UIP is holding "Shrek 2" in the rest of the world until late June/early July for the school vacations.

"Van Helsing" dropped by an average of 40% in its third stanza abroad, minting $15.6 million from 4,847 playdates in 41 countries, elevating cume to $119.2 million.

Arguably the action-adventure had less to lose after worrying 55% plunges in its second weekend. It has a shot at hitting $200 million if it clicks in Japan and South Korea.

Hugh Jackman/Kate Bec! kinsale starrer has mustered $22.2 million in the U.K. (off 35% at the weekend), $15.2 million in Germany (down 29%), $9.6 million in Spain (losing 44%), $7.7 million Down Under (shedding 33%) and $6.9 million in Mexico (abating by 29%).

Cannes pix stick

Director Pedro Almodovar's "Bad Education" fetched a terrif $350,000 on just 44 screens in the U.K. and fell by a mild 22% in its second turn in France, tallying $3.6 million.

Walter Salles' "The Motorcycle Diaries" motored into Italy with a handy $677,000 on 210.

After its Cannes preem, "The Ladykillers" drew a solid $1 million on 208 in Spain, positioned as an upscale alternative to the popcorn fare. But the Tom Hanks starrer took a soft $701,000 on 140 in Japan, where the Coen brothers have never caught on.

"Kill Bill Vol. 2" climbed to $64.3 million in 34 territories, overtaking domestic, driven by France's $3.8 million in seven days. However Quentin Tarantino's pic grossed a tame $337,000 on 145 in Mex! ico, where the first edition didn't work and auds shy away from overtl y violent themes.

It's pocketed a nifty $15.4 million through its fourth chapter in Blighty, although tracking 25% below the predecessor.

Nearing the end of its pilgrimage, "The Passion of the Christ" levitated to $234.1 million, including Italy's $27.1 million, the U.K.'s $20.5 million and Japan's $9.7 million.

In Japan, local click "Crying Out for Love in the Center of the World" showed excellent stamina despite "Troy's" invasion, wooing $4.7 million in its third sojourn (off 8%), spurring its total to $24.7 million.

In Germany, spoof "Der Wixxer" was a hoot, grabbing $3.4 million on 426.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:03 am
Shrek II was fantastic. It deserves the critical kudos and box office take.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:06 am
I am making the trip to the multiplex near Disneyland in the next few days -- I'm taking Mom and my Nephew.

"Passion," BTW has done nearly 600M world wide. Devide that by an average price for a theater ticket and it works out that about 15% of the Christian population has seen the film (not taking into consideration those who say the film who aren't Christian and who saw it twice or more times -- which would be the masochists).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:08 am
I'm looking forward to "Jesus vs. Jason" which promises to be even more of a gore-fest than the original. Uh oh, wrong film thread. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:08 am
(Or the sadists, whichever...)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:18 am
Yes, the "Passion" sequel thread did run out of steam. I can't imagine anyone buying the DVD to play over and over in the privacy of their own home. You don't suppose they'll lock it up with they guns?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:20 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Yes, the "Passion" sequel thread did run out of steam. I can't imagine anyone buying the DVD to play over and over in the privacy of their own home. You don't suppose they'll lock it up with they guns?

Nah, they'll keep it in the toolshed with the nails.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:28 am
If they bought the giant nail to hang around their neck, they can add the DVD to the chain. It sparkles but not enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:41 pm
Shrek 2 is definitely worth a repeat visit for me.
I can't believe I'm actually planning to pick up the soundtrack as well.
A movie that can make me snort is a rare find Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:48 pm
King Arthur - release, July 2004

Based on a more realistic portrayal of "Arthur" than has ever been presented onscreen. The film will focus on the history and politics of the period during which Arthur ruled -- when the Roman empire collapsed and skirmishes over power broke out in outlying countries -- as opposed to the mystical elements of the tale on which past Arthur films have focused.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:49 pm
I just saw snippets of the original "Shrek" at sozlet's friend's house. Looks good! I think this might be the first real movie we see as a family. ("Shrek" I, on video at home.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:25 am
I rarely watch movies but was dragged to Shrek 2. I didn't like it. The first one I liked but this one fell prey to what I hate about modern animation films that are set in the past: it tried too hard to be the present.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:30 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I rarely watch movies but was dragged to Shrek 2. I didn't like it. The first one I liked but this one fell prey to what I hate about modern animation films that are set in the past: it tried too hard to be the present.

You raise a good point, but it was highly entertaining nonetheless. My one bugbear with the movie was the choice of 'Living la Vida Loca' as the finishing song. That joke has already been done to death.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:06 am
I loved loved loved the Vida Loca thing. Loved it.
Setanta and I can't agree about who we think was THE star - I go for Jennifer Saunders - he's pitching for Antonio Banderas.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:12 am
The casting of the voices is inspired. But didn't they have a part for Joanna Lumley?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:19 am
From today's Variety:

SPACE THRILLER ON LAUNCH PAD
Lightstorm fuels star vehicle
Harrison Ford is set to star in "Godspeed," an outer space-set thriller that is being put together by James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment. Cameron, who has not directed a regular feature since 1997's "Titanic," will not be at the helm but will produce the film with Lightstorm's Rae Sanchini and Jon Landau.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:34 am
good grief. grampa goes to mars?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:52 am
He is getting a bit long in the tooth for an action thriller if that is the storyline. I would think as well as George Clooney tackled the part in the remake "Solaris" that he could take over the parts once earmarked for Ford. More later.
0 Replies