Conservative brains are different from liberal brains

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 08:12 am
Left brain, right brain
Left brain, right brain
Are liberals more adaptable than conservatives? And what does it mean when someone switches sides?
Los Angeles Times Editorial
September 12, 2007

Astudy reported in the journal Nature Neuroscience suggests that liberals are more adaptable than conservatives. "Duh," you might say. After all, it's conservatives who insist that "when it's not necessary to change, it's necessary not to change." But this study goes beyond the truism that conservatives like to conserve to suggest that liberals might be better judges of the factsthan conservatives.

Liberal and conservative college students were asked to tap a keyboard when one letter appeared on a computer screen, and to refrain from tapping when they saw a different letter that appeared less frequently. Researchers found that liberals were less likely to mistake one letter for another; the lefties also registered more brain activity when the less frequent letter popped up.

Marco Iacoboni, a UCLA neurologist not connected to the study, said it showed that "there are two cognitive styles -- a liberal style and a conservative style." Lead author David Amodio, an assistant professor of psychology at New York University, explained the difference in terms of a commuter who drives the same way home from work every day. If he's a liberal, he is more likely to be alert to a detour. If he's a conservative, he's more likely to, well, stay the course.

Fun stuff, except perhaps for Fox News. But there's a problem with the templates of the rigid conservative and the flexible liberal. The history of politics and ideas abounds with personalities who migrated from right to left and vice versa.

One of the notable intellectual developments of the 20th century was the defection from communism -- the "God that failed" -- by disillusioned believers such as Arthur Koestler and Whittaker Chambers. More recently, the term "neoconservatives" was applied to former liberals who had moved right not just on foreign policy ("neocon" is now shorthand for a supporter of the Iraq war) but also on social issues such as affirmative action and crime.

The traffic is two-way. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the New York Times reported, "came to Wellesley as an 18-year-old Republican, a copy of Barry Goldwater's right-wing treatise, 'The Conscience of a Conservative,' on the shelf of her freshman dorm room. She would leave as an antiwar Democrat whose public rebuke of a Republican senator in a graduation speech won her notice in Life magazine as a voice for her generation."

So: Did former leftists move right because their liberal "cognitive style" alerted them to an alternative route to the just society? If that was the case, why didn't those same adventuresome brain cells eventually trigger a leftward relapse? And if the mark of a true conservative, neo or otherwise, is a neurologically grounded reluctance to change, can converts to the cause be trusted? Those, Dr. Amodio, are the real brain-teasers.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 08:54 am
JLNobody wrote:
Well, excluding "us", of course.

Three short sentences and the long pursued "they" are finally isolated and identified. Occam's Pfizer.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 10:49 am

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 03:47 pm
If our society lived up to the political ideals of the left, I don't think many leftists would be advocating change. But many rightists would. So change, as such, is not the dependent variable of relevance. But if we look at people in terms of rich and poor we might find the rich (usually conservatives--why not? the status quo is to their benefit) very conservative regarding change, while the poor can be expected to be liberal regarding change.

Problem with this distinction is that most poor people are too "dumb" to be liberal. Liberalism acknowledges a world of greys and "dumb" people are comfortable only in a world of black and white.
An interesting phenomenon is the fact that conservatives (even wealthy educated ones) are very willing (probably in a Machiavellian sense) to phrase their political propaganda in simplistic terms while liberals seem to want to be right and intelligent even when their more nuanced propaganda reaches fewer minds.

So, while neurological considerations are not totally to be rejected, the fact is that the political values of most people shift from liberal to conservative--to some degree--as they get older and financially more secure. Yet they retain the same nervous systems. I think that most (not all) of the variance can be accounted for with the variables: economic status, levels of education, and age.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:00 pm
blatham wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Quote:
hardening of the categories.

Lovely line, JL.

Finn suggests that we liberal types happily latch on to such a notion as this study apparently concludes because it helps us feel superior. Possibly. But I don't feel that I need help in the matter.

And after all, it isn't as if that 'superiority thing' is the sole province of folks on the liberal side. Though perhaps finn will show me wrong here by confessing his conservativism's inferiority and junior status.

One need not feel inferior to not feel superior.

Having a sense of superiority is not particular to Libs or Cons, nor is being superior in any number of ways. After all, Alec Baldwin is one hell of an actor.

The differences lie first in the fact that Libs need to feel superior and secondly it is their Lib beliefs which they feel mark them as superior.

As every amateur psychologist knows, the need to feel superior is an obvious reaction to the actual feeling of inferiorty, and this fits perfectly with the second point. What easier way is there to achieve superiority (or at least a sense of it) than to simply express agreement or acceptance of a particular ideology or belief system? Doesn't take any skill or talent,no particular strength of character, just the ability to say "Yeah! Me too!"

I think most Libs quietly recognize the vapid nature of their swollen sense of self. How else can we explain their need to cast the issues and times - and most importantly, their personal role therein - in tones and terms of such High Drama?

The current (Republican) government so clearly seeks to establish a dictatorship of the most vile and oppressive means, while they and their fellow Freedom Fighters of the Left risk life and liberty posting rants on A2K or joining a crowd of aged hippie dilletantes at a protest on the Washington Mall.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:25 pm
That's it: I'm an aged hippie dilletante!
How can I think you Finn?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:40 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Can one go through life without either a heart or a brain?

Yes. Our current president would be a fine example.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:44 am
Jonah Goldberg's rant still doesn't explain why conservatives think the W is still fine when it/he is obviously upside down.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
Sorry... hadn't read Bear's response yet...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:48 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Quote:

Lovely line, JL.

Finn suggests that we liberal types happily latch on to such a notion as this study apparently concludes because it helps us feel superior. Possibly. But I don't feel that I need help in the matter.

And after all, it isn't as if that 'superiority thing' is the sole province of folks on the liberal side. Though perhaps finn will show me wrong here by confessing his conservativism's inferiority and junior status.

Having a sense of superiority is not particular to Libs or Cons, nor is being superior in any number of ways. After all, Alec Baldwin is one hell of an actor.

The differences lie first in the fact that Libs need to feel superior and secondly it is their Lib beliefs which they feel mark them as superior.

As every amateur psychologist knows, the need to feel superior is an obvious reaction to the actual feeling of inferiorty, and this fits perfectly with the second point. What easier way is there to achieve superiority (or at least a sense of it) than to simply express agreement or acceptance of a particular ideology or belief system? Doesn't take any skill or talent,no particular strength of character, just the ability to say "Yeah! Me too!"

I think most Libs quietly recognize the vapid nature of their swollen sense of self. How else can we explain their need to cast the issues and times - and most importantly, their personal role therein - in tones and terms of such High Drama?

The current (Republican) government so clearly seeks to establish a dictatorship of the most vile and oppressive means, while they and their fellow Freedom Fighters of the Left risk life and liberty posting rants on A2K or joining a crowd of aged hippie dilletantes at a protest on the Washington Mall.

Did you do your little superiority dance after you posted this Finn?

Nothing like accusing the other side of being inferior to make yourself feel superior.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:26 am
I find the statistics on education level vs. political persuasion to be much more interesting than an isolated study.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 11:05 am
Eh gads! Criminy, someone quotes Jonah Goldberg?

That's like telling people you enjoy the taste of spit-up in your mouth.

Come hither to observe the take down on the paste-eating doughboy. and put down your coffee mug least you destroy your keyboard. tboggs.com had a Koufax Award nomination for it.... after "Flowers for Algernon"

http://www.danielkeyesauthor.com/whtmse.gif

http://tbogg.blogspot.com/2005/05/flowers-for-goldberg-nro-post-day-one.html
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 02:59 pm
parados wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Quote:

Lovely line, JL.

Did you do your little superiority dance after you posted this Finn?

Nothing like accusing the other side of being inferior to make yourself feel superior.

LOL at least he didn't brag about hob-knobbing with wealthy Australians.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 03:51 pm
sooooooo.. being superior means one is inferior and being inferior means one is superior?

hum....

Quote:
When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

No doubt about it, when arguing with the Right Wing one has come to expect falling in the rabbit hole and enter Wonderland.

Pass me that hukka!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:51 pm
HoW tough is this to follow Kuvy?

Does that really tax your brain cells?

Because I am fond of you I will try and explain:

If one doesn't feel superior, it doesn't necessarily follow that one feels inferior.

In other words, there is a contented realm between a sense of superiority and a sense of inferiority. Let's call it disengaged, well-adjusted, possesed of a sense of equilibrium...surely you can catch on now. Our laughable self-professed Buddhists might understand if they understood Buddhism as more than a "cool" label to self-apply.

Can you contribute with more than glib versions of "I know you are but what am I?"

Please confess that you were simply being bitchy and actually did understand the concept. I don't know that I can take many more disappointments from you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:56 pm
Roxxy

I forgot about my reference to my Australian friends, but obviously you did not.

How gratifying.

Almost as much so as you adopting my sig-line.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 07:56 pm
Quote:
Can you contribute with more than glib versions of "I know you are but what am I?"

I wouldn't dream of trying to top this version of it...
Quote:
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 01:13 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
HoW tough is this to follow Kuvy?

Does that really tax your brain cells?

Because I am fond of you I will try and explain:

If one doesn't feel superior, it doesn't necessarily follow that one feels inferior.

I don't know how I can say this without it appearing insulting, but the mundane is by definition not profound, and the statement can have a corollary actually more profound and realistic,

Quote:
If one doesn't feel superior, it doesn't necessarily follow that one doesn't feel inferior.

making it more concrete and valuable to the discussion at hand but since neither proposition can tested, what is the point in bringing either up? You well might have stated that ice cream has no bones.

In other words, there is a contented realm between a sense of superiority and a sense of inferiority. Let's call it disengaged, well-adjusted, possesed of a sense of equilibrium...surely you can catch on now. Our laughable self-professed Buddhists might understand if they understood Buddhism as more than a "cool" label to self-apply.

Yes it's called the Middle Way or Golden Path, the personal mean between the corporeal sensate world and asceticism. But those who follow the path find their confidence often considered arrogance by the incompetent.

If you feel competent to debate Buddhism with its followers on-site I invite you to do so, because your other argument is with Buddhists who I haven't seen on the thread but how I am sure that being so would just smile at you. But again you set up a straw man Buddhist, just to knock him down. Its hard to say who understands Buddhism even the Buddha knew how hard it was to pass on his vision of Enlightenment; the "Flower Sermon" of the Buddha is directly related to recognizing that difficulty and one recalls the words of linguist Henreich Zmmer on such matters:

Quote:
" The best things cannot be told; the second best things are misunderstood; and the third best are everyday conversation."
Heinrich Zimmer

But what specifically was your point in attacking Buddhists, for not understanding the ineffible? That's like attacking Charlie Brown and Snoopy?

Please confess that you were simply being bitchy and actually did understand the concept. I don't know that I can take many more disappointments from you.

No. The loose use of value judgments of quality as engines of behavior is nonsensical in this discussion. Words have meaning, and the examples used render them so amorphous in definition that they can be cobbled together to meet any circumstance. Language is supposed to remove the ambiguity of thought. It hadn't showed that to be true, No, indeed it is Humpty- Dumptyism of the First Sort.

Stop telling me you're fond of me. It creeps me out. I've told you before, dinner and drinks are fine, but I'm not going to bed with you. and you can go to the air port men's room by yourself, thank you very much!

btw

http://www.logosoftwear.com/cgi-images/HR0301.JPG
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 01:45 am
parados wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't dream of trying to top this version of it...
Quote:

Actually, it is not a pathology, instead it is the greatest gift the Ancient Greeks gave us. The sense of the individual as the center of the World. It is the bedrock, the foundation of civilization West of Suez. It is also the center of what drives economic Conservatives.

No person steeped in the cultural pyschology of the West has ever been content to be a spectator or a brick in the wall. We "make" history, we are not simply players in it and we are the heroes of our own lives.

Ridiculing individualism is pretty insane for a Conservative to do. Its like stabbing yourself in the eyeball because you don't like what you see.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 06:53 am
Finn sniffed:

Quote:

I forgot about my reference to my Australian friends, but obviously you did not.

How gratifying.

Almost as much so as you adopting my sig-line.

I adopted your sig-line? WTF?

And BTW, I have 94% recall, I've been tested.
0 Replies