Gay Clergy-About time or moral oxymoron?

hobitbob

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
When we encounter trash, do we contemplate its merits and demerits, or do we just walk around it or kick it aside?

Sudden mental image of Britney Spears! Shocked
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:49 am
Bummer, ILZ, I hate when that losing a post thing happens to me ... since you had other problems in there too, and it just wasn't a good day, I dunno if this'll help in the future, but what the heck ... when you're composing a richly detailed post, do it in an external text editor, and "SAVE AS" often. That way, you don't lose everything unless you lose the computer. In fact, if you save your changes to external storage or to removeable media, and SAVE OFTEN, even losing the computer isn't going to leave you with a bunch of wasted effort.
Now, of course, while I KNOW this, I mostly don't DO it Shocked . I wind up losing stuff all the time ... frustrating as hell, especially as I have no excuse at all ... I have a server-based network, and all of my machines can write to and read from any drive or access any other peripheral anywhere in the system ... ZIP drives, outboard hard drives, Flash drives, Keychain drives, optical burners, tape backup, all of that. Its there for me if only I'd take advantage of it. I swear a lot, and try to convince myself I'll do better next time. At least I'm consistent Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 04:00 am
Point taken.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:51 am
I now compose in an "external text editor" (didn't know that was what it is called) -- and edit frequently -- because of those kinds of loses myself.

But yesterday, I cut and pasted one of those externally text edited posts -- and thought I submitted it.

I must have just hit the preview buttom -- and then Xed out of the thread. I later discovered that the post had not gotten into the thread -- but only after going into several other threads and posting there -- which erases the external thingy.

It was a long, complicated response to JL!!!

I re-created it as best I could.

But I have discovered that if you are dumb enough (or in this case, if I am dumb enough) you can still screw things up.

Hey...computers may be a pain-in-the-butt -- but they also are the greatest invention of all time, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:56 am
Frank- If it is a long response, I would suggest that you write it up in your text editor, and SAVE IT as a document. Then, if you screw it up when you copy and paste, it can always be retrieved. Then, once it is safely ensconced in A2K, you can delete it from your documents, if you want!
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:16 pm
Gay Clergy,

If the only other choice is to have hatred and persecution I am for a gay clergy.
There is no law or doctrine or power that should be above the love of Christ.

Christ said the 2nd MOST important commandment is to LOVE.
Quote:
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[/b]

God created the Garden of Eden and put man and woman into the garden and they all proceeded to have a relationship. This is the natural state God wanted for mankind. To be able to multiply.
And this scripture backs up the natural use of man for woman and visa versa.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the NATURAL use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the NATURAL use of the woman,
burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
0 Replies

rschief49

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:26 pm
why do I think I am gay
Your attraction to the same gender could have been formed at an earlier age(as early as 3 to 4 years of age possibly). First we must understand that having an attraction to the same gender DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. This attraction could of been caused by early experimenting with a friend(the first kiss,or playing house),or it could have been innocently done by experimenting with a sybling,or even if a child was molested,or toyed with by someone of the same gender causing an attraction to the same gender. Years later,like most kids,they may have forgot,or blocked this out,why they formed an attraction to the same gender ,but have a lasting effect on their subconscious(possible post traumatic stress).::: Also some children may have a disorder called gender identity disorder,or a sexual identity disorder(definitions can be found at Gender Identity Disorder Santuary.....http://www.mhsanctuary.com/gender/dsm.htm and http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/online_artcls/intersex/sexual_I_G_web.html ) --This is not the same thing as forming an attraction to the same gender, NOR DOES IT MEAN YOU ARE GAY. Never call a child gay,because that child may think he/she is;if the child is undiagnosed,or untreated or uninformed. Show your parents this web site so they can see another view also,and then both you and your parents can make decisions together as a family.Many children are tortured with the fear of being considered gay,some withdraw from society at an early age because of the name calling,damnation being preached instead of the causes being discussed openly. I can say at 7 years old I would of liked to have been informed that being attracted to same gender did not mean I was gay,or that I was not gay, but i may have gender identity disorder,or sexual identity disorder.I used to rally for gay rights,thought I was born gay,now I rally for gay tolerance,because we can know,but not understand.We need time to heal...(for those that are concerned with issues of transsexual,transgender,transvestite, or bisexual:its my belief that we manifest our own rationality with what we know)............................................................................................................................................................ ------direct comments to [email protected]
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:14 am
Ruach wrote:
Gay Clergy,

If the only other choice is to have hatred and persecution I am for a gay clergy.
There is no law or doctrine or power that should be above the love of Christ.

But Jesus worshipped and prayed to the god who said:

Quote:
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." Leviticus 20:13

And Jesus also said of that law, and the others like it:

Quote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER, SHALL BE DONE AWAY WITH UNTIL IT ALL COME TRUE." Matthew 5: 17ff

How do you reconcile this?
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:00 pm
Jesus is the spiritual fullfillment of the OT laws. He brings more justice and mercy in the fullfillment of the OT law. This is what man lacks. Pure justice and mercy.
[quote]John 4:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore LOVE IS THE FULFILLING OF THE LAW.
[/quote]For the law was written to show the filthiness of mankind. The things that can cause a brick wall between God and mankind.
But Jesus fulfilled all the laws with LOVE and FORGIVENESS.
Forgiveness in the OT was done by man through the shedding of blood of an animal. Which was setting up mankind for the perfect shedding of blood through Jesus, absoutley pure and sinless. For now no other sacrifice will suffice. And to try to make a sacrifice for redemption of sins through the shedding of Blood, whether it be beast or human , GOD has stated it stinks in his nostrils.
NT is a fullfilling of the Laws of the OT, BUT it contains a true sacrifice acceptable to God, because Jesus did the work of GOD.
The punishment for homosexuality in the Bible was to the death. There was no atonement for that sin. Reader take note.
But today ALL SIN is forgiveable. God judges the heart.

For one person to focus on the sin of another and not see the sin in their own life makes them a hypocrite. The inward search of our own sin, should consume much of our own time. Surprised But calling a person a hypocrite is senseless, we are all hypocrites at one time or another.

Quote:
1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his LOVE IS perfected in us.

Jesus did state:[quote] I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them.[/quote]
and love is the fullfillment of the law.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 06:28 pm
Actually, typological discussion really only begins in the later 5th century CE. I reccomend doing some basic research into the mediterranean in Late Antiquity.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 08:41 pm
OT is quite often mentioned by NT apostles. And scriptures from the OT are recalled by Jesus on occassions.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:41 pm
Yes, but typology, the interperetation of passages in Torah as prefiguration of NT events is a later phenomenon. It reached its zenith in France in the 12th century. Most likely Yeshua had receieved formal rabbinical training. Paul was a memebr of the priesthood, as was Yeshua's brother James. I would be more surprised if they were unfamiliar with Torah. In addition, you have to remember that the gospels and other, non-cannonical works, underwent a great deal of editing until the end of the fifth century.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 03:19 pm
hobitbob, Jesus being raised in Nazareth and did attend Torah learnings as he grew up. This would seem obvious, since Nazareth was a small but orthodox town in those days of his growing up. Jesus, before his ministry began, did go to temple and talk with the rabbis and they were amazed at his knowledge. Because he had the HS and the Torah to teach him. Torah has always been debated, but only the letter of the Law is what they understood, they failed to see the mercy of the law and justice. They also failed to see their Messiah right in front of them, and justly so, we would to, many do. There was a lot of false messiahs before Jesus. The HS is what is necessary to see the truth in Torah, the times where it is alluding to the Lord, as the Son of God. With Jesus fulfilling the Messiah prophecies.
I believe the work of the HS is being highly manifested within believers
and more and more true and accurate knowledge is being presented.

Quote:
Yes, but typology, the interperetation of passages in Torah as prefiguration of NT events is a later phenomenon. - hobbittbob

I might be missing the point you are trying to make.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:27 pm
Considering that Nazareth didn't even exist before the 2d century CE, I fear you are. "Nazareth" is a mis-translation from Greek to Elizabethan English. The correct traslation would be "Nazorean." It referred to a sect of Jewish activists (we would call them "terrorists" today) that Yeshua likely belonged to, as did Judas, Peter, and of course his brothers James and Yeshua Didymus.
The point I'm trying to make is that attempting to use a poorly translated text as a basis for life is ludicrous. Your beliefs are based on errors. Why not merely try to live a moral life?
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:53 pm
Why don't you try giving up mans intelligence, which is far below the standard of God , and try to live a moral life according to what the bible teaches is moral and right.
You have a lack a daisical look at life. Good is good enough is what you think.
Give your intelligene a shot at living a moral life as seen from teachings of the HS.
1.compasssion
2.steadfast
3.not jealous
4.no strife
4.no outbreaks of anger
5.holding your tongue from anger
6.love your neighbor as yourself
7.longsuffering
8.patient
9.kindness
10.perseverance
11.forbearing one another in love
12.forgiving one another
13.comfort the feeble minded
14.support the weak
15.gentle
16.helping the orphans and widows
17.serving one another in love.
18.do no covet
19.be not greedy
20.it is better to give than to receive
After you have attempted to live by these standards then you shall begin to feel the persecution. For the morality of men is substandard to the morality of Jesus.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 07:33 pm
Quote:
Why don't you try giving up mans intelligence, which is far below the standard of God , and try to live a moral life according to what the bible teaches is moral and right.

The hubris reflected in this statement, typical of those coming from "Christians" is one reason I find your type so distasteful. Lets look at some of the "moral guidelines" of the Bible.
-Kill the entire population of groups who disagree with you.

-Kill those who have sex outside of marriage.

-Kill those who believe differently from you (Are you noticing a patteren here?)

-Restrict the participation of women in activities outside of the home.

-Submit to authority without question.

-Make slaves of those with different belief systems.

These are but a few examples of biblical "morality. No thank you. I prefer reason to blind superstition.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:22 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I hadn't seen that response.

Anywho, the example of science was not intended as a comparison of the two but to simply illustrate that prevalence of an accepted notion is in no way a basis for its justification.

The point is that "chronological snobbery" is simply a fallacious argument. It's an appeal to tradition (argumentum ad antiquitatem) in disguise.

It's most commonly coupled with an equally fallacious slippery slope argument.

Why it isn't more easily recognized is because "chronological snobbery" has use that isn't fallacious (though I have never seen it used without fallacy).

The legitimate use is to refute a fallacious argument that just because we do things the way we do now it is correct. This would be the opposite to an argumentum ad antiquitatem but I know of no term in common use for this because i have never seen this fallacy in action.

So what I am trying to say is that "chronological snobbery" is just about always a fallacious argument, unless it is used in response to a fallacious argument that bases the validity of something exclusively on its modern adoption.

The comparison with science was an easy way to illustrate the fallacy of argumentum ad antiquitatem. It was not meant for an apples to apples comparison of religion to science.

I will use a different example.

"What's wrong with the world today? We are losing our values. The sin of homosexuality is becomming accepted as a way of life. Feminism is making women try to be men. Sex is pervading our culture. If our forefathers saw this they would be appalled!"

Now all of the above judgements might be valid, but in the above not a single argument establishes (or even attempts to) validity.

It's merely a fallacious argumentum ad antiquitatem. This is pretty much what "chronological snobbery" is.

For example, the tolerance of homosexuals in modern society is not based on the commonality of its acceptance, to reject it on grounds of "chronological snobbery" is to ignore all the arguments about said tolerance and simply make an appeal to tradition.

Now if the tolerance is argued as justified merely on the basis of its modern acceptance it is a perfectly valid rebuttal. But nobody really argues that tolerance is right just because it's more common these days. So that argument does not address any of the merits of tolerance but simply goes for fallacy instead.

I agree with all of this. However, it doesn't really apply to the argument JM, Frank, and I were making - namely, that constant re-inventions of the fundamental doctrines of religion in accordance with societies moral trends is absurd (hence the term "chronological snobbery.")

All of the things you said above are insightfull and ring true. But we are not discussing whether or not acceptance of homosexuality is a good or bad thing for society. We are discussing whether or not homosexuality should be accepted by religion and all of the implications therein. As JM and I said earlier, religion is based on the concept of Divine Truth - an eternal, unchanging moral code. It cannot simply "evolve" or "advance" the way that morality in society can.

So, when someone makes the argument that gay clergy is a super-duper idea, they are essentially saying that everybody else throughout 2000 years of Christianity was wrong - because, unlike society as a whole, religious morality is not fluid and it there is only one correct way. Invartiably, this new intrepretation is perfectly in lne with whatever the latest moral revolution has been (ie- homosexuality.) Since this pattern of re-intrepretation is ubiquitous to every age, I think the term "chronological snobbery" fits perfectly.

I see your point that "chronological snobbery is an appeal to tradition in disguise." But the chronological snobbery argument is not an appeal to tradition for the sake of an appeal to tradition. It is merely a way of pointing out the fact that a) every generation re-intreprets the Bible, often changing the fundamental doctrines withen, b) that these re-intrepretations are always designed to jive with new moral trends. Now, this is either an incredible coincidence or evidence of the absurdity of religion itself.

So people who advocate constantly changing religious intrepretation are doing the exact opposite of chronological snobbery. Essentially, they are saying that "this is the right way to do things, because it is they way my people, in my age, in my place do things." Or, in this case, they are saying pro-gay intrepreatation of the Bible is correct because my generation of Western civilization accepts homosexuality. To the extent that "chronological snobbery" is an appeal to tradition, is the same extent that the pro-gay clergy stance is an appeal to modernity purely for the sake of modernity. Same difference.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 07:36 am
Ruach wrote:
Jesus is the spiritual fullfillment of the OT laws. He brings more justice and mercy in the fullfillment of the OT law. This is what man lacks. Pure justice and mercy.

Well, I can take your word for this Ruach -- or I can take the word of Jesus, who said:

Quote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER, SHALL BE DONE AWAY WITH UNTIL IT ALL COME TRUE." Matthew 5: 17ff

So tell me....what should I go with -- your word or the word of Jesus?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:35 am
Just to stir the pot a little,here, Frank ... what you've got there is the Purported word of Jesus, and that from a single source, without external corroboration Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:54 pm
Hobitbob, If you say this....."Your beliefs are based on errors. Why not merely try to live a moral life?" And you find it reasonable to say; what is your problem with me saying ......... " Why don't you try giving up mans intelligence, which is far below the standard of God."
There is no point of discussion , unreasonableness prevails.
0 Replies