What the Constitution says about Iraq

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:43 am
What the Constitution says about Iraq
By Mario M. Cuomo
September 3, 2007

Congress and the courts must recommit to the legislative branch's sole authority to declare war.

Most Americans want the war in Iraq ended, but it continues and Americans are killed, mutilated or wounded every day, as the Democratic majorities in Congress struggle to produce legislation that will take our forces out of harm's way. Meanwhile, President Bush continues to insist that as commander in chief, he has the constitutional power to go to war and decide when to end it, unilaterally. At the same time, another possible disaster emerges from the shadows: Bush appears to be considering a military assault on Iran, again apparently without Congress declaring war first.

How did we get to this point and what, if anything, can we do now?

The war happened because when Bush first indicated his intention to go to war against Iraq, Congress refused to insist on enforcement of Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution. For more than 200 years, this article has spelled out that Congress -- not the president -- shall have "the power to declare war." Because the Constitution cannot be amended by persistent evasion, this constitutional mandate was not erased by the actions of timid Congresses since World War II that allowed eager presidents to start wars in Vietnam and elsewhere without a "declaration" by Congress.

Nor were the feeble, post-factum congressional resolutions of support of the Iraq invasion -- in 2001 and 2002 -- adequate substitutes for the formal declaration of war demanded by the founding fathers.

What can be done now?

First, Democrats should make clear that it is the president who is keeping the war in Iraq from ending. Even if Congress were able to pass a veto-proof bill with respect to withdrawal, the president would resist enforcement of the bill, insisting that as commander in chief, he is immune from Congress' decision. That would raise a constitutional issue for the courts.

But judging by the courts' history concerning constitutional war powers, including decisions involving the Iraq war in the U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals in Massachusetts, the judiciary would, in all probability, choose not to intervene, claiming that the disagreement between the president and Congress is a political question.

However, the political-question thesis is nowhere referred to in the Constitution, and it denies the people the protection of the Constitution in dealing with perhaps the most serious question the nation has to face: "Should we go to war?" That position should be challenged as an abdication of constitutional duty by the courts, but the sad truth is that the current conservative-dominated Supreme Court would probably support our current conservative president. As a practical matter, that means only the president can end this waror change our strategy in Iraq.

Even if it is too late for Congress to remedy its failure to comply with the Constitution with respect to Iraq, at the very least our candidates for president and our congressional leaders should assure us that they will not allow this lapse to result in further unilateral acts of war -- against Iran, Pakistan or any other nation -- by this president or any other. Our leaders must make it clear that in the future, Congress will insist on compliance with Article I, Section 8 for any military action that is not fairly deemed an unexpected emergency.

It is frightening that our government has permitted this fundamental and costly constitutional transgression to persist for more than four years.

We must do everything we can to end the war in Iraq and avoid a new tragedy abroad by recommitting to strict adherence to the rule of law and to the Constitution by the president, Congress and the courts -- especially with respect to war powers.
--------------------------

Mario M. Cuomo, the governor of New York from 1983 to 1995, now practices law in New York.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 952 • Replies: 20
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:19 am
Deauthorizing the Iraq War
Senator Jim Webb (VA) attempted to add an amendment to the military funding authorization bill earlier this year to deauthorize congress' approval of Bush's Iraq War. House Speaker Pelosi and Senate Leader Reid both opposed Webb's amendment based Israel's opposition to deauthorization. Another example of Israel dictating U.S. foreign policy. ---BBB

Thursday, 03 May 2007
UPDATED: Sen. Clinton Seeks to Deauthorize Iraq War
UPDATE: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) discussed Sens. Clinton and Byrd's "sunset" legislation yesterday on CNN's Lou Dobbs Tonight:

DOBBS: Thank you very much. Senator Webb, now that the president vetoed legislation sent up from the Democratically led Congress. Congress now talking about de-authorization. Both the president and the Congressional leadership talking about compromise, where are we headed here?

WEBB: I think we've heard very strongly from the people in this country, in poll after poll, that they want to see something different in Iraq. And we need -- we have an obligation to try to do something different. And I think the connection between this appropriations measure and what you saw today with Senator Clinton and Senator Bird is some effort to get the message through to the administration that they have to do something different on the military side.

They started off on the political justification for this war, saying that it was Saddam Hussein and WMD. Then we were going to remake the Democratic institutions all across that region.

And we've reached the point where yesterday the president was simply talking about al-Qaeda who wasn't even in Iraq operationally when we started. We need to have the kind of focus on the military side where we can reduce our foot print and increase the diplomatic efforts as people had wanted.

ORIGINAL POST: It is time to end this failed war. The NYT reports that Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) is seeking to "sunset" the war authorization. Said Sen. Clinton on the floor of the U.S. Senate today:

SENATOR CLINTON: Madam President, I rise to join my colleague and friend, Senator Byrd, to announce our intention to introduce legislation which proposes that October 11, 2007 -- the five year anniversary of the original resolution authorizing the use of force in Iraq -- as the expiration date for that resolution.

As Senator Byrd pointed out, the October 11, 2002, authorization to use force has run its course, and it is time to reverse the failed policies of President Bush and to end this war as soon as possible.

Earlier this week, President Bush vetoed legislation reflecting the will of the Congress and the American people that would have provided needed funding for our troops while also changing course in Iraq and beginning to bring our troops home.

I believe this fall is the time to review the Iraq war authorization and to have a full national debate so the people can be heard. I supported the Byrd amendment on October 10, 2002, which would have limited the original authorization to one year and I believe a full reconsideration of the terms and conditions of that authorization is overdue. This bill would require the president to do just that.

The American people have called for change, the facts on the ground demand change, the Congress has passed legislation to require change. It is time to sunset the authorization for the war in Iraq. If the president will not bring himself to accept reality, it is time for Congress to bring reality to him.

I urge my colleagues to join Senator Byrd and me in supporting this effort to require a new authorization resolution, or to refuse to do so, for these new times and these new conditions that we and our troops are facing every single day. Madam President, I yield the floor.

-- From HillaryClinton.com

The NYT blog The Caucus notes that Sen. Christopher Dodd downplayed Clinton's move, saying he instead supports the "Feingold-Reid legislation, which would not only set a withdrawal timeline but also ultimately cut off war funds."

Regardless, these are bold moves -- and most certainly historic.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
Did this get lost along the way?

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/laws/majorlaw/warpower.htm
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 12:48 pm
You are right,congress has the sole power to DECLARE war.
Nobody is arguing that.

But,the President, as CinC,has the sole control over how the military is used.

There is nothing in the Constitution that gives congress that authority.

Also,the President has followed the letter of the War POwers Act,ecaxtly as congress wrote it.

None of you can show where he has violated it at all.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:05 am
mysteryman wrote:
Nobody is arguing that.

Also,the President has followed the letter of the War POwers Act,ecaxtly as congress wrote it.

He has not violated the War Powers Act.

it is Congress who can stop this so called war tommorrow if it had to the testiculiar fortitude to do so by stopping the funding.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:52 pm
woiyo wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Nobody is arguing that.

it is Congress who can stop this so called war tommorrow if it had to the testiculiar fortitude to do so by stopping the funding.

I 100% agree.
But the dems know that if they did that, the repubs would immediately start saying that the dems "abandoned" the military in Iraq, and they (the dems)would never hold the majority in congress again
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:07 am
mysteryman wrote:
woiyo wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Nobody is arguing that.

I 100% agree.
But the dems know that if they did that, the repubs would immediately start saying that the dems "abandoned" the military in Iraq, and they (the dems)would never hold the majority in congress again

An elected official, as a public servant, takes an oath to defend the Constitution. PERIOD.

Their "party affiliation" should be secondary to "doing the right thing".

The sad part of your comment is that you are telling the truth about ALL our elected officials in that the needs of their constituants are secondary to their party.

Yet too many people, especially here on A2K, fall in step behind their "favored party" and become sheep to their party. To me it seems more prevalent within the Democratic Party supporters, yet Republicans act similiar.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:39 am
Tell me if I am wrong but, it is my understanding that CONGRESS can stop this war (invasion) per the War Powers Act.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 12:03 pm
TTH wrote:
Tell me if I am wrong but, it is my understanding that CONGRESS can stop this war (invasion) per the War Powers Act.

Ok. You are wrong.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 12:15 pm
fishin wrote:
TTH wrote:

Ok. You are wrong.
Now that was funny. I have to thank you for my first laugh of the day Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 02:32 pm
A baseless reply like that ain't funny.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 02:40 pm
Advocate wrote:

Demonstrate that it is baseless.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:28 pm
Advocate wrote:
I thought it was funny.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:17 pm
fishin wrote:
Advocate wrote:

OK, but first give me the basis of your reply.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 06:20 am
Advocate wrote:
fishin wrote:
Advocate wrote:

OK, but first give me the basis of your reply.

My basis is the War Powers Act. Now prove me wrong.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 12:58 pm
Great, you provided a basis for your statement. I'm not sure, but I think you are wrong.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 01:01 pm
As of Monday, those additional troops will be there illegally under the War Powers Act of 1973.

After Vietnam, Congress passed the War Powers Act to close loopholes that were exploited by President Johnson to escalate US involvement in Vietnam without Congressional approval.

Ohio State law professor John Quigley agreed.

"If President Bush wants to send more troops, he is subject to the War Powers Resolution, which allows him to commit troops for only 60 days without an authorizing resolution from Congress," Quigley said.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:21 pm
Advocate wrote:
Great, you provided a basis for your statement. I'm not sure, but I think you are wrong.

So you admit that you have no clue what you are talking about yet I am wrong?

To funny. Razz
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:42 pm
Advocate wrote:
As of Monday, those additional troops will be there illegally under the War Powers Act of 1973.

After Vietnam, Congress passed the War Powers Act to close loopholes that were exploited by President Johnson to escalate US involvement in Vietnam without Congressional approval.

Ohio State law professor John Quigley agreed.

"If President Bush wants to send more troops, he is subject to the War Powers Resolution, which allows him to commit troops for only 60 days without an authorizing resolution from Congress," Quigley said.

John Quigley??? lol You had better come up with someone who isn't an Palestinain apologist and anti-war zealot if you expect people to actually think you have something here...
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:58 pm
Why is he wrong? Is it because you say so?
0 Replies