What happens kids when you commit yourself for depression?

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:36 pm
what happens to kids if you commit yourself to the hospital for depression?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,396 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:53 am
I don't understand your question.

Do you mean legally?

Psychologically?

Please be a bit more specific.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:34 am
Are you in the US?

Do you have family or friends that could assist you?

Commiting yourself for deperession does not mean you lose your children to Social Services unless you commit yourself without making care arrangements for them.

Is that what you are asking?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:48 am
Photogal--

Welcome to A2K.

Your question is a bit confusing.

Are you a kid, asking what happens to a depressed person who is being treated as an inpatient?

Or are you a mother, worried about what will happen to your children if you are hospitalized?

In either case, please give us more detail so we can help.
0 Replies

photogal279

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:08 am
No I'm an adult dealing with depression. I'm a single parent and I want to make sure that if I ask for help and they end up commiting me that I don't lose my son. Right now no custody is setup between me and the ex and I'm afraid he will use it to gain custody. But in my eyes asking for help when needed is stronger than continueing on like I am.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:18 am
You need to make alternative care arrangements, as ironclad as possible. Are your parents still living? Do you have siblings who could help out? The court will look a lot more favorably if the arrangements are more concrete, e. g. instead of vague promises, your mother (or whoever you choose) comes to the commitment hearing and says under oath that she (or he, etc.) will care for your child. Also helps if you've set aside a specific fund. This is getting across the idea that you are getting treatment but that your child is still coming first in your life and you are doing everything you can to extend care, even while you're in a treatment facility.
0 Replies

photogal279

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:29 am
What if I don't have the funds to set aside for him? We make it ok but we live paycheck to paycheck. I imagine that I would be able to get short term leave from my good paying job but is that enough? Will the courts try to give him custody during treatment? Thinking it is better to be with the father than with the grandparents?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:42 am
Do you have an attorney? What are the current visitation arrangements? Is there a reason that you would not want your child with his Dad while you seek treatment other than thinking the time with him may set precedent and risk him getting primary custodial care?

If you think you need treatment you probably do. Is there an outpatient option?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:45 am
Photgal, can you go see a social worker? I don't know what the protocol is, but they'd be very helpful. Of course, the whole thing would be documented.
0 Replies

photogal279

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:45 am
No I don't have attorney. I can't afford one. We basically have been flying by the seat of our pants the last few years that we have been seperated. His dad lives in another town and my son just started Kindergarten. He is having a hard enough time adjusting to school that he needs to have some consistency in his life. Grandparents just live a block away from our house and he would be able to attend the same school.

I have started the process of applying for child support. I know it is a little late but at the time I thought I was doing the right thing for my son. By not starting a big argument between me and his father.
0 Replies

photogal279

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:46 am
I'm already in therapy and on anti-depressants but I had a really bad night last night and went for a long drive. I almost drove off into a revine on purpose and it scared me. I need more constant help right now so I don't mentally damage my son.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:48 am
Good thinking, photogal. What would be worse? If your son losses you to a 'car accident' or if your son goes to live with his father for a time?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 01:27 pm
Photogal--

How often does your son see his father?

These days most hospitalizations are for short periods of time because this is what insurance covers. You might be in and out without your husband having any reason to know.

Is your husband actively seeking custody?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 01:35 pm
Photogal- There is something here that does not "compute". You say that you are ready to sign yourself into a hospital, and in the next breath you are concerned with some guy that you met via computer dating.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2836520

If you have a problem, we are here to help you, but please don't make sport of what is a serious subject.

I shall, for the moment, assume that you are being truthful. Signing oneself into a psych hospital is not the same as being committed. Make your arrangements for your child, and get the help that you need. Good luck!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 01:46 pm
Phoenix--

I can see that the uncertainity of a developing romance could contribute to depression.

I'm guessing that the sympathetic responses to Photogal's first thread gave her the courage to open this discussion.
0 Replies

photogal279

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 02:45 pm
My ex and I were never married. Which makes for its own sticky situation.

I'm not hear to make sport of any type of serious situation. I was in trouble last night and was looking for anywhere to go before I did something stupid.

My son see's his dad as often as he comes around. Sometimes every weekend sometimes every other. Sometimes it could be months in between.

I am much better today and will be keeping all doctors appointments with my pyschologist and therapist.

Thank you all for your encouragement.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:38 pm
Photogal--

Sometimes just announcing that you are finding life very difficult at a given moment is enough to dissolve some burdens.

Remember, we're here for you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:46 pm
photogal279 wrote:
I'm already in therapy and on anti-depressants but I had a really bad night last night and went for a long drive. I almost drove off into a revine on purpose and it scared me. .

Out of curiosity, which event occurred first, the above quote or the one below?

photogal279 in her Casual Sex thread wrote:
I had a long talk with him late last night. I told him I needed to know where I stood. Basically he said he is committed to seeing where the relationship goes.
0 Replies

photogal279

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:01 pm
The above quote happened first.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:07 pm
photogal - we all have good days and bad days. Sounds like you had a really bad day. I'm glad you are getting help and recognized that your thoughts the other night were not healthy.

One more question, you said child support is just now being initiated. Has paternity been determined yet?
0 Replies