Ghosts??? Or???

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:18 pm
Equus wrote-

Quote:
bathsheba wrote:
I definitely heard someone walking around upstairs - and it sounded like they had shoes on.

Obviously a case of lost soles.

That's sheer class.

My problem with ghosts is why they insist on clumping around in the upstairs rearranging all the furniture. Why don't they service the wheels and mow the flipping lawn and have the breakfast ready when you come downstairs.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:25 pm
But how does all this Lamarkianism explain what I heard? Or genetic memory? Does genetic memory live on in the so-called afterlife?

I remember reading somewhere that every religion from Egyptian to Christian has offered a way to the soul after death, a system by which the soul would go toward its judgment and find its place. In a reality made of energy, thoughts may literally be things. What if it was intended that we create our own realities after death?

Some things cannot be explained by empirical methods; these should not be discounted. We can't see air, but we know it's there.

I don't believe or disbelieve in ghosts, but there is a lot of unexplained phenomena out there. I just don't want it living in my house Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 06:19 pm
Wow, FM, that's news to me. I always thought that Lamark believed acquired traits could, and were, transmitted intergenerationally because he did know about genes--or natural selection.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:43 pm
farmerman wrote:
The concept of multiple hypotheses doesnt preclude remnant energy freom a past existence.

"Remnant Energy"?

You mean like antique electricity or something? Smile
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:45 pm
I'd sooner believe in extra-terrestrial visitors.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:51 pm
FM, sorry my response to you was meaningless--because I left out the word NOT in "because he did NOT know about genes..."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:54 pm
bathsheba wrote:
Some things cannot be explained by empirical methods; these should not be discounted. We can't see air, but we know it's there.

I don't believe or disbelieve in ghosts, but there is a lot of unexplained phenomena out there. I just don't want it living in my house Laughing

It's ok to say that you don't know what caused something. You can just leave it at that.

It's also ok to dream up wild possibilities, like supernatural entities or teleporting aliens, but just remember that one extraordinary claim is just as good as any other extraordinary claim, so they don't really get you anywhere as far as answering your original question.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:55 pm
I agree, echi. The belief in ghosts and souls would require of me that I eject most of my existing worldview. It would require too great an adjustment, whereas extraterrestrials fit into that worldview quite easily. But if they spoke middle class english as they do on the startrek series I would probably have a stroke from cognitive dissonance.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:02 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
bathsheba wrote:

It's ok to say that you don't know what caused something. You can just leave it at that.

It's also ok to dream up wild possibilities, like supernatural entities or teleporting aliens, but just remember that one extraordinary claim is just as good as any other extraordinary claim, so they don't really get you anywhere as far as answering your original question.

Yup. It's too nebulous a subject. I'll wear earplugs when I'm in that house.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:36 am
bathsheba wrote:
Yup. It's too nebulous a subject. I'll wear earplugs when I'm in that house.

It's interesting to see how people fill their voids in knowledge though.

After a generation of people growing up with Star Trek, you would think that footsteps from someone who isn't there (just as an example) would lead to speculation of transporter beams and people from the future. But many people still view such things as "ghosts" or lost souls. I wonder if those beliefs are more deeply grounded in our psyche and seem in some way more likely to us than other possibilities.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:47 am
I'm with farmerman on this one. I think there's too much evidence of "something" and not enough good explanations by way of things we're already familiar with.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:49 am
farmerman wrote:
Creaking is one thing , but a pattern of actual walking up and down stairs or opening doors so that its clearly audible and follows a pattern of direction (often going in circles) , is a bit strange. we had such an occurence at our house years ago and it went on for months until we had a "sensitive" come over and do a sweep through the house and give us her ideas.
Im a scientist and wholly respectful of empirical evidence and yet, I think theres something interdimensional going on whenever people report these manifestations.

Supernatural. :wink:
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:32 am
rosborne979 wrote:
It's interesting to see how people fill their voids in knowledge though.

After a generation of people growing up with Star Trek, you would think that footsteps from someone who isn't there (just as an example) would lead to speculation of transporter beams and people from the future. But many people still view such things as "ghosts" or lost souls. I wonder if those beliefs are more deeply grounded in our psyche and seem in some way more likely to us than other possibilities.

Excellent point. Ghost stories are as old as dirt, and fear of ghosts continues even in the face of more recent and more plausible explanations.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:37 am
JLNobody wrote:
I agree, echi. The belief in ghosts and souls would require of me that I eject most of my existing worldview. It would require too great an adjustment, whereas extraterrestrials fit into that worldview quite easily. But if they spoke middle class english as they do on the startrek series I would probably have a stroke from cognitive dissonance.
The day you have a stroke from cognitive dissonance is the day I find the Lord.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:38 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm with farmerman on this one. I think there's too much evidence of "something" and not enough good explanations by way of things we're already familiar with.

So, in place of "something" you are suggesting what exactly?

If there was a game show called "Guess what caused that noise", and they would pay you $10 million if you got it right, would 'ghost' really be on your list of possible guesses?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:42 am
I'm not suggesting a replacement of "something". That would imply that I knew the answer, which I'm plainly asserting that I do not.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:44 am
baddog1 wrote:
farmerman wrote:
Creaking is one thing , but a pattern of actual walking up and down stairs or opening doors so that its clearly audible and follows a pattern of direction (often going in circles) , is a bit strange. we had such an occurence at our house years ago and it went on for months until we had a "sensitive" come over and do a sweep through the house and give us her ideas.
Im a scientist and wholly respectful of empirical evidence and yet, I think theres something interdimensional going on whenever people report these manifestations.

Supernatural. :wink:

Ugh, I know. Maybe I'll just give up trying to make sense of things and switch to the mystic side of the fence for a while Wink Dance by the fire, cut the head off a chicken, sprinkle some blood around, throw some bones and bay at the moon for a while.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:47 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm not suggesting a replacement of "something". That would imply that I knew the answer, which I'm plainly asserting that I do not.

But you said, 'something we're not familiar with'. What did you have in mind for something we're not familiar with? Did you mean a crow hopping on the roof, or wind blowing a creaky window, or something less common?

Even though you don't put a name to whatever the 'something' might be, you still seem to imply something outside of our normal experience. Why would you expect there to be anything outside our normal experience?

(just asking. No offense or anything.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:53 am
(No problem.)

I suggest that it's something we don't yet understand because the explanations we have been able to come up with, based on things that we do understand, don't cut it. I think that our realm of familiarity (or things we do understand) is relatively tiny and so the likelihood of it being something outside of that is fairly high.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 12:25 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
(No problem.)

I suggest that it's something we don't yet understand because the explanations we have been able to come up with, based on things that we do understand, don't cut it. I think that our realm of familiarity (or things we do understand) is relatively tiny and so the likelihood of it being something outside of that is fairly high.

Kind of like Shocked :wink: Smile God?
0 Replies