Ghosts??? Or???

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:31 pm
Ok. I don't necessarily believe in ghosts. But something weird happened and I'm interested in knowing what it was, if that's possible!

I recently bought a 100 year old house in town. I was in the basement fiddling around with stuff. The two doors upstairs were locked. I definitely heard someone walking around upstairs - and it sounded like they had shoes on. I called out 'who's there?' and didn't get an answer. I wasn't freaked out at this point. I thought I must have forgotten to lock those doors and went to see who was in the house. It was THAT convincing! I had to unlock the door to get in. Nobody was in the house. I checked the other door; it was also locked. Therefore nobody could have gotten in, no one was there. So - what the heck WAS it? This is a really small house so it wasn't like someone was hiding and I didn't see them. The footsteps sounded like they went from the front to the back of the house, then stopped. Like I said, that door was locked and no one could have escaped without my seeing them, as the place is fenced.

I'm creeped out. Shocked And annoyed because I think ghosts are kid stuff. I hope.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,286 • Replies: 94
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 10:27 pm
We had a ghost that opened the kitchen cupboards and left the doors opened.

It must have been a ghost because our kids denied doing it.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 03:30 am
I have heard noises like this many times in a couple homes now. I have even had a radio change stations on me...watching the very dial turn before my eyes.

I don't know what it's all about but, being a bit freaked is completely understandable I think.

A buddy of mine was just talking about someone walking on his floor, downstairs from him, and sitting on his couch! He heard the very noise made when someone sits down with hardwood floors.

He thought someone snuck in too. If stuff like this is kids stuff.....there are alot of adult kids out there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:38 am
Old houses creak. That was probably what you heard. It is very romantic to ascribe the happening as something "ghostly", but, IMO, that is sheer whimsy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:59 am
Creaking is one thing , but a pattern of actual walking up and down stairs or opening doors so that its clearly audible and follows a pattern of direction (often going in circles) , is a bit strange. we had such an occurence at our house years ago and it went on for months until we had a "sensitive" come over and do a sweep through the house and give us her ideas.
Im a scientist and wholly respectful of empirical evidence and yet, I think theres something interdimensional going on whenever people report these manifestations.

We have houses in our area(including ours) that are all from the 1700's and many of them, not all, have some sort of unexplained patterns of sounds and happenings. One of the local stories is about the Iron Master house at nearby Ho pewell Village Historical site. The Ironmasters Mansion has a rocking chair that rocks twice a year, every year for a few hours and the story is that 2 of the the Ironmaster children were taken by some childhood diseases in separate incidents and the sound rocking occurs at the approximate time and date when the kids died.
Im not willing to dismiss this as poopycock. Theres too much audio and film evidence and eye witness accounts from people who are not nuts, and this occurs all over the world. Its just one more thing about the physical world that we dont yet understand. Ghosts? maybe, energy from an eventthat has not gone back to a ground state> who knows..

The gosts of the Maryland Lighthouses are legends that keep resurfacing, so much so, that this year, at the Maryland "lighthouse challenge" (where evryone has to visit all 13 Eastern SHore lighthouses to win a tee shirt. Everybody is given tour directions to be able to find em all inan 8 hour day. BUT, one of the local authors who writes tales of the paranormal, will be about each lighthouse to talk about its own "ghost" and the evidence that supports the tales.
Its a ,"Scare yer kids so that theyre in therapy for life" , day.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
"Who ya gonna call...Ghostbusters!"

I don't know where you live, but here's a bunch of ghosthunters:

http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com/tapsfamily/tflist.html

I believe in ghosts in the sense that it's some form of energy left over from people and events. Energy has to go somewhere when someone dies. How it manifests is elusive.
Does that make any sense.?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 06:25 am
Re: Ghosts??? Or???
bathsheba wrote:
Ok. I don't necessarily believe in ghosts. But something weird happened and I'm interested in knowing what it was, if that's possible!

I recently bought a 100 year old house in town. I was in the basement fiddling around with stuff. The two doors upstairs were locked. I definitely heard someone walking around upstairs - and it sounded like they had shoes on.

What kind of heating system is in the house?

And was there any water running at the time?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:06 am
ros, You start with all the things you can check or can explain, then, sometimes youre atill left with things you cant.

Agnosticism, in its purist form, doesnt have the ability to pass judgement on anything spiritual. I tend to be areligious because of lack of any credible evidence. Paranormal manifestations, on the other hand, are something else. Maybe its physics playing out its myriad of rules that we dont yet understand or maybe its just "something else".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:33 am
farmerman wrote:
ros, You start with all the things you can check or can explain, then, sometimes youre atill left with things you cant.

Agnosticism, in its purist form, doesnt have the ability to pass judgement on anything spiritual. I tend to be areligious because of lack of any credible evidence. Paranormal manifestations, on the other hand, are something else. Maybe its physics playing out its myriad of rules that we dont yet understand or maybe its just "something else".

Hi FM, but you don't know that it's something 'paranormal', all you know is that it's something unknown or unidentified.

Why would you draw conclusion that 'unknown' = 'paranormal'. Isn't it more probably that the causes of the unknown are of a more banal variety.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:44 am
I admire FM's openness; but I prefer Roz's sobriety.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:04 am
I too believe there is some sort of energy in play. I don't accept ghosts, in the sense that the departed roam among us, but, do acknowledge something to be there. My youngest half brother violently hates religion and notions of gods. But, he believes in something akin to ghosts, after occurrences he has experienced. He and my Mom lived in Minnesota for a short time. The house they stayed in had these unexplained door opening/shutting episodes, and, there was one spot in the house they felt some sort of force had concentrated itself. Even the dog would not go near that place. His later experience, the day Mom died, might be written off as purely hysterical. I won't venture to say. He claims her personal items flew off of shelves with no one being near enough to be the cause. One day, somebody will come up with a satisfactory explanation. Atheist Philip Wylie wrote a book on these happenings. It was a novel, but it offered a few ideas, such as the one expressed by happycat.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:13 am
bathsheba wrote:
I definitely heard someone walking around upstairs - and it sounded like they had shoes on.

Obviously a case of lost soles.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:31 am
All Im saying is "I dont know and Im not disallowing anything yet". Im not jumping to either conclusion (ie ,maybe its a ghost or maybe your, "its a plumbing leak"). We can check out all the plumbing leaks and pipe hammerings etc.

The concept of multiple hypotheses doesnt preclude remnant energy freom a past existence. Multiple hypotheses also, dont preclude multiple dimensions. In fact one does an entire section of a complex function semester in multi-dimensional analyses in which we take for granted, mathematically, that a host of answers , all fitting the problem conditions can exist simultaneously. Many of these solutions are imaginary and downright goofy, but, under the right circumstances of dimension.

Im a very boring empiricist , but Ive seen ewvidence that hasnt yet been satisfacorilly explained wrt "paranormal" (PS , paranormal is just a term, not a religion)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:35 am
how bout "genetic memory"?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 11:09 am
Hmm...I had an experience that reminds me of yours not too long ago, Bathsheba.

We were staying for a few nights in a house where the owner had passed away in the house not too long before. His things were still all in the house as he'd left them, etc (sounds weird, but he was an acquaintance, and the person who was caring for the house is a friend, and we were stuck for a place to stay, so...). He was an avid musician, and down in the basement all of his musical equipment was still set up, including his drum kit.

Well, I had thought it might be weird to stay in a house someone had died in, but it wasn't bothering me, and we'd stayed the first night with no problem. However, the second night, I woke up about 3 am to the sound of a slow, rhythmic tattoo being played on the drums down in the basement.

I listened to it for several minutes, trying to convince myself it was something else, but I could even pick out the individual tones of the different drums; I could hear the snare, the bass, the toms... I woke my husband, made him listen. He pretended not to be nervous, but wouldn't go downstairs and see what it was, either (ha!)... The next morning we took turns going down in the basement and banging away on the drums while one of us stayed upstairs to listen and see if it was the same sound. It sounded just the same. I was nearly convinced-- nothing else made noises like that, we checked everything, listened to the furnace and the water heater and the pipes. It happened again the next night; we laid awake and listened. I'd finally met a ghost!

But...

The third morning, while I was taking a shower, guess what? The drumming started again-- and it was the water heater. *heehee* Man, was it convincing. Even when you knew what it was and stood right there listening, it sounded like it was coming from the drums. So...you may want to double check on things like the furnace and the water heater before you start telling all your friends about your ghost Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 11:50 am
Well, I had several odd experiences after my husband died, and it didn't upset me one bit. Didn't imagine it either.

farmerman. Genetic memory! Wow! I have been searching for evidence of that very thing, and I don't mean "instinct".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:11 pm
Farmerman, doesn't "genetic memory" smack of Lamarkianism?
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:43 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
bathsheba wrote:

I recently bought a 100 year old house in town. I was in the basement fiddling around with stuff. The two doors upstairs were locked. I definitely heard someone walking around upstairs - and it sounded like they had shoes on.

What kind of heating system is in the house?

And was there any water running at the time?

The heating system is a natural gas 'woodstove' type situated in the living room, and is turned off. No other heating system in this old place. No water running anywhere, outside or inside. I can understand creaking is common in old homes, but this was definitely a sound that moved TOWARDS me overhead, and went from the front to the back, as I said, then stopped. The sound of someone walking with hardsoled shoes was convincing enough to me that I had to stop what I was doing to see what was going on.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 04:53 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Hmm...I had an experience that reminds me of yours not too long ago, Bathsheba.

We were staying for a few nights in a house where the owner had passed away in the house not too long before. His things were still all in the house as he'd left them, etc (sounds weird, but he was an acquaintance, and the person who was caring for the house is a friend, and we were stuck for a place to stay, so...). He was an avid musician, and down in the basement all of his musical equipment was still set up, including his drum kit.

Well, I had thought it might be weird to stay in a house someone had died in, but it wasn't bothering me, and we'd stayed the first night with no problem. However, the second night, I woke up about 3 am to the sound of a slow, rhythmic tattoo being played on the drums down in the basement.

I listened to it for several minutes, trying to convince myself it was something else, but I could even pick out the individual tones of the different drums; I could hear the snare, the bass, the toms... I woke my husband, made him listen. He pretended not to be nervous, but wouldn't go downstairs and see what it was, either (ha!)... The next morning we took turns going down in the basement and banging away on the drums while one of us stayed upstairs to listen and see if it was the same sound. It sounded just the same. I was nearly convinced-- nothing else made noises like that, we checked everything, listened to the furnace and the water heater and the pipes. It happened again the next night; we laid awake and listened. I'd finally met a ghost!

But...

The third morning, while I was taking a shower, guess what? The drumming started again-- and it was the water heater. *heehee* Man, was it convincing. Even when you knew what it was and stood right there listening, it sounded like it was coming from the drums. So...you may want to double check on things like the furnace and the water heater before you start telling all your friends about your ghost Laughing

The thing is I just bought the house and nothing is turned on. The water heater is off. The only source of heat is off (natural gas woodstove type of heat). The water heater is in the basement - where I was when I heard the weird sounds above me. The pipes are also in the basement. Nothing is leaking. Nothing was on.....I'm perplexed! I hope it isn't haunted because I want to rent it out. Cool Funny thing is, the sound of feet walking stopped when I called out. Also, my dogs don't like to be in the house, which I attributed to it just being a strange place they weren't familiar with. But now I'm not so sure. I think I'll take a friend next time!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:00 pm
Quote:
doesn't "genetic memory" smack of Lamarkianism?
, actually, quite the opposite. If you are calling genetic memory inheritance of acquired characteristics youd be a bit off the point.
First off Lamark was A lmost 2 centuriea before MEndel ND Hd no idea of genetics. Hell, even Darwin was a bit LAMARKIAN.

If youconsider molecular bio, Lamarck wsnt really that incorrect, as STR alleles show that populational (noncoding) attributes can be acquired in FEW GENERATIONS and then inherited. Its just an accumulation of mutations.
0 Replies