End the Game. Build one America. Lead the world.

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 01:48 pm
To succeed for our children where we have too often failed for ourselves, we must choose a new course. Those wedded to the policies of the 70s, 80s, or 90s are wedded to the past -- ideas and policies that are tired, shop worn and obsolete. We will find no answers there.

But small thinking and outdated answers aren't the only problems with a vision for the future that is rooted in nostalgia. The trouble with nostalgia is that you tend to remember what you liked and forget what you didn't. It's not just that the answers of the past aren't up to the job today, it's that the system that produced them was corrupt -- and still is. It's controlled by big corporations, the lobbyists they hire to protect their bottom line and the politicians who curry their favor and carry their water. And it's perpetuated by a media that too often fawns over the establishment, but fails to seriously cover the challenges we face or the solutions being proposed. This is the game of American politics and in this game, the interests of regular Americans don't stand a chance.

Real change starts with being honest -- the system in Washington is rigged and our government is broken. It's rigged by greedy corporate powers to protect corporate profits. It's rigged by the very wealthy to ensure they become even wealthier. At the end of the day, it's rigged by all those who benefit from the established order of things. For them, more of the same means more money and more power. They'll do anything they can to keep things just the way they are -- not for the country, but for themselves.

Politicians who care more about their careers than their constituents go along to get elected. They make easy promises to voters instead of challenging them to take responsibility for our country. And then they compromise even those promises to keep the lobbyists happy and the contributions coming.

Instead of serving the people and the nation, too many play the parlor game of Washington -- trading favors and campaign money, influencing votes and compromising legislation. It's a game that never ends, but every American knows -- it's time to end the game..
We cannot replace a group of corporate Republicans with a group of corporate Democrats, just swapping the Washington insiders of one party for the Washington insiders of the other.

The American people deserve to know that their presidency is not for sale, the Lincoln Bedroom is not for rent, and lobbyist money can no longer influence policy in the House or the Senate.

It's time to end the game. It's time to tell the big corporations and the lobbyists who have been running things for too long that their time is over. It's time to challenge politicians to put the American people's interests ahead of their own calculated political interests, to look the lobbyists in the eye and just say no.

And it's time for the American people to take responsibility for our government -- for in our democracy it is truly ours. If we have come to mistrust and question it, it is because we were not vigilant against the forces that have taken it from us. That their game has played on for so long is the fault of each of us -- ending the game and returning government of the people to the people is the responsibility of all of us..
http://johnedwards.com/news/speeches/20070823-hanover-speech/

The world expects a benign, benevolent, courteous brotherly leadehip form USA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,269 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 01:52 pm
"The world expects a benign, benevolent, courteous brotherly leadehip form USA "

How did you arrive at that conclusion? What makes you say this?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 01:59 pm
Ragman
I hope you know that I had aired my displeasure with the corporate controlled american system.
Proove me please that you uphold the present system is perfect and above board.( Kindly read the full text of the link which I had furnished above please)
Thanks for your instant response
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:49 pm
I was a little surprised to find this on a John Edwards for president site. If I thought he was capable of that sort of vision, I would not only vote for him, but would also campaign for him.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:58 pm
Edgar
" If I thought he was capable of that sort of vision, I would not only vote for him, but would also campaign for him."
I am quite sure that the whole world willtacidly follow your steps.
I had highlighted this to think deeply and act according to once conscience.
I know that the citizens of USA will think differently..
Thanks
Rama
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:27 pm
Ragman
My name is the same in Abuzz and elsewhere where I air my views.

How did you arrive at that conclusion? What makes you say this?"

Experience sir.
I have nothing to DECLARE except my honesty and decency.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:51 pm
Re: End the Game. Build one America. Lead the world.
Ramafuchs wrote:
To succeed for our children where we have too often failed for ourselves, we must choose a new course. Those wedded to the policies of the 70s, 80s, or 90s are wedded to the past -- ideas and policies that are tired, shop worn and obsolete. We will find no answers there.

But small thinking and outdated answers aren't the only problems with a vision for the future that is rooted in nostalgia. The trouble with nostalgia is that you tend to remember what you liked and forget what you didn't. It's not just that the answers of the past aren't up to the job today, it's that the system that produced them was corrupt -- and still is. It's controlled by big corporations, the lobbyists they hire to protect their bottom line and the politicians who curry their favor and carry their water. And it's perpetuated by a media that too often fawns over the establishment, but fails to seriously cover the challenges we face or the solutions being proposed. This is the game of American politics and in this game, the interests of regular Americans don't stand a chance.

Real change starts with being honest -- the system in Washington is rigged and our government is broken. It's rigged by greedy corporate powers to protect corporate profits. It's rigged by the very wealthy to ensure they become even wealthier. At the end of the day, it's rigged by all those who benefit from the established order of things. For them, more of the same means more money and more power. They'll do anything they can to keep things just the way they are -- not for the country, but for themselves.

Politicians who care more about their careers than their constituents go along to get elected. They make easy promises to voters instead of challenging them to take responsibility for our country. And then they compromise even those promises to keep the lobbyists happy and the contributions coming.

Instead of serving the people and the nation, too many play the parlor game of Washington -- trading favors and campaign money, influencing votes and compromising legislation. It's a game that never ends, but every American knows -- it's time to end the game..
We cannot replace a group of corporate Republicans with a group of corporate Democrats, just swapping the Washington insiders of one party for the Washington insiders of the other.

The American people deserve to know that their presidency is not for sale, the Lincoln Bedroom is not for rent, and lobbyist money can no longer influence policy in the House or the Senate.

It's time to end the game. It's time to tell the big corporations and the lobbyists who have been running things for too long that their time is over. It's time to challenge politicians to put the American people's interests ahead of their own calculated political interests, to look the lobbyists in the eye and just say no.

And it's time for the American people to take responsibility for our government -- for in our democracy it is truly ours. If we have come to mistrust and question it, it is because we were not vigilant against the forces that have taken it from us. That their game has played on for so long is the fault of each of us -- ending the game and returning government of the people to the people is the responsibility of all of us..
http://johnedwards.com/news/speeches/20070823-hanover-speech/

The world expects a benign, benevolent, courteous brotherly leadehip form USA

Edwards? Please...

The Onion ran a better story on him.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:49 am
I do believe you are being a little too optimistic to think America will lead the world, from what I can see most countries are turning away from the US, Britain is lessening ties and here in Australia the same thing will happen when we get rid of our mini Bush (ar*s licker for Bush) at the next election in a few weeks time.
As a matter of interest Bush is in Sydney for the APEC meeting and the authority has cordoned off much of the city centre to keep the protesters away from him; that fool has done more to discredit your country than anyone or anything in my living memory of seventy years.
The world is sick of guns and bombs and wars, if that is what your leaders want tell them to fight amongst themselves and leave the rest of the world out of it!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:09 am
Unfortunately, nice words spoken by a hypocrite.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:13 am
Antons words sounded truer than yours Woiyo.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 04:01 am
woiyo wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand, "spoken by a hypocrite?"
What is that supposed to mean, do you know, or are not sure, perhaps you could explain?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:47 am
anton wrote:
woiyo wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand, "spoken by a hypocrite?"
What is that supposed to mean, do you know, or are not sure, perhaps you could explain?

John Edwards is a hypocrite.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:35 am
Poor old John, whoever he may be, we all have our crosses to bear. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:05 pm
Let me thank you all
Friends
Most of you had critical observations about John.
I think
content is more important than the container.
Message is more vital than the messenger.

"We must move beyond the wreckage created by one of the greatest strategic failures in U.S. history: the war in Iraq. Rather than alienating the rest of the world through assertions of infallibility and demands of obedience, as the current administration has done, U.S. foreign policy must be driven by a strategy of reengagement. "

The lesson is that we cannot only be warriors; we must be thinkers and leaders as well.

And so as we contemplate a national security policy for a new century, we must ask ourselves far-reaching questions:
Are we truly denying our enemies what they seek?
Are we doing all we can to win the war not only of weapons but also of ideas?
Are we battling the fear our enemies sow by planting seeds of hope instead?"
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070901faessay86502/john-edwards/reengaging-with-the-world.html
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:14 pm
Re: Let me thank you all
Ramafuchs wrote:

I think content is more important than the container.
Message is more vital than the messenger.

Most rational voters weigh the content of the message against the person's ability to actually carry out the ideal. Having a message means nothing if the candidate can't accomplish it.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:42 pm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:45 pm
End the Game. Build one America. Lead the world.
Is that supposed to be some kind of joke? The US has trouble enough cleaning up it's own house. It is time we stop trying to be the police force and conscience of the world and concentrate on fixing what is wrong at home. Our tax dollars should be spent on bettering the lot of the citizens of the US not the whole damn world.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:48 pm
Re: Fishin
Ramafuchs wrote:
I do agree.

And yet you favor Edwards...

Quote:

Why shouldn't I? It's a load of tripe.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:23 pm
Fishin
The system in USA is outmoded in the modern times
A new approach is direly necessary and badly in need of.
I hope you partially agree and i respect your personal views about Edward

"It's a load of tripe."
Another personal observation about the messenger( a professor) and not about the message.
Thank you
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:28 pm
Re: Fishin
Ramafuchs wrote:
"It's a load of tripe."
Another personal observation about the messenger( a professor) and not about the message.
Thank you

Do you always just make things up as you go along? I said nothing about the messenger. The comment was in direct reference to the message.
0 Replies