So much for "every vote counts"

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 05:49 am
If the repubs did this,the left on here would be screaming bloody murder,and making all kind of accusations about how votes are being denied.

Where is the outrage now?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/08/25/florida-dems-may-be-barred-from-08-convention/

Quote:

Quote:
Should the Florida Democratic Party ignore the DNC's ruling and move forward with a Jan. 29 primary, it will face sanctions including having all of its 210 delegates banned from attending the convention being held in late August in Denver. This is what Nelson and his Florida Democratic colleagues have vowed to fight.

How will the dems seriously be able to say they want every vote to count if they are not going to allow the Fl delegates to be at their own convention?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 640 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 07:19 am
Both parties are threatening to punish states that schedule primaries before the parties have authorized.

This quote from Google's news page shows it is not just a Democrat issue.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 07:31 am
MM doesnt care about facts, hes got his crawler set to go off anytime the word DNC comes up.All these states moving their primaries is just a media hype to get some early steam into some hopeful candidates engine. Itll all crash and burn when so many primaries are moved up that well all be numbed to it .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 07:56 am
Quote:
Republican leaders also are struggling to maintain control over the schedule of voting and could similarly sanction Florida's Republican Party.

Quote:
Democratic Party rules say states can't hold primaries before Feb. 5, except for Iowa (Jan. 14), Nevada (Jan. 19), New Hampshire (Jan. 22) and South Carolina (Jan. 29).
But then Florida passed a law setting its primary on Jan. 29.

Sanctions for violating the rules:
A state would lose some or all of its delegates to the nominating convention in Denver next August. And presidential candidates would be prohibited from campaigning in that state before the primary.

Florida is among 31 states that will present their voting plans today, but it's the only one expected to be found in violation of party rules.

Washington state

Although Washington in June moved up its 2008 presidential primary to Feb. 19, state voters will only have a partial say in allocating delegates.

State Republicans will allocate about half of their delegates based on the primary and about half on Feb. 9 party caucuses.

State Democrats, as in the past, will ignore results of the primary and allocate delegates using the results of its Feb. 9 caucuses.

Seattle Times archives and news services

Source (and full report): Presidential primaries get earlier, and political parties get angrier

What farmerman said ...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 08:19 am
Regarding MM's simple-minded nonsense, states are trying to elbow out other states so their electorate's votes will "count" and states with later proimaries won't count. Fundamentally, parties have the right to determine how their candidates are chosen. The only way that "every vote would count" equally is to have all the primaries on the same day.

What is amazing is that someone can post on a political forum on a daily basis without ever getting a clue about what he or she is talking about.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:00 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Regarding MM's simple-minded nonsense, states are trying to elbow out other states so their electorate's votes will "count" and states with later proimaries won't count. Fundamentally, parties have the right to determine how their candidates are chosen. The only way that "every vote would count" equally is to have all the primaries on the same day.

What is amazing is that someone can post on a political forum on a daily basis without ever getting a clue about what he or she is talking about.

kettle meet pot
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 02:08 pm
Democrats consistantly disguise their fraud by using minorities as shields.

Republicans are not that sneaky.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 06:13 pm
farmerman wrote:
MM doesnt care about facts, hes got his crawler set to go off anytime the word DNC comes up.All these states moving their primaries is just a media hype to get some early steam into some hopeful candidates engine. Itll all crash and burn when so many primaries are moved up that well all be numbed to it .

Just out of curiosity, which facts did MM seem to not care about?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 06:35 pm
You mean besides framing it as a solely Democratic Party problem, using a mis-leading headline and acting as if the nearly childish penchant for some State Committees to try and garner attention for their own state primary over all the others was somehow indicative of how Democrats as a whole behave?

Joe(why, nothing else whatsoever)Nation
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Republican National Committee (RNC) officials said they also are planning to enforce their rules, which allow them to take delegates away from states that hold primaries before Feb. 5 without permission.

I guess MM's headline would make sense if we can all agree the GOP has never been for every vote counting.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:35 am
Whats funny is that you on the left are attacking me, yet you seem to be ignoring one simple fact.

NOWHERE in the CNN article I linked to does it say the repubs were considering the same thing.

I was posting one article,yet all of you seem to want to attack me for what was NOT in the article.

I didnt write it,I just posted it.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 06:05 pm
The same drama
Mysteryman
I was posting one article,yet all of you seem to want to attack me for what was NOT in the article.
The same fate I had endured elsewhere .
Contents are unimportant and container draws the attention
Messenger is at fault for the message.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 06:59 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Whats funny is that you on the left are attacking me, yet you seem to be ignoring one simple fact.

NOWHERE in the CNN article I linked to does it say the repubs were considering the same thing.

Lame. Very lame.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 08:11 pm
parados wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Republican National Committee (RNC) officials said they also are planning to enforce their rules, which allow them to take delegates away from states that hold primaries before Feb. 5 without permission.

I guess MM's headline would make sense if we can all agree the GOP has never been for every vote counting.

What is really absurd is MM's strawman that if the Republicans "did this," Dems would be screaming bloody murder. It is a really stupid and misinformed contention.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:26 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
You mean besides framing it as a solely Democratic Party problem, using a mis-leading headline and acting as if the nearly childish penchant for some State Committees to try and garner attention for their own state primary over all the others was somehow indicative of how Democrats as a whole behave?

Joe(why, nothing else whatsoever)Nation

Well, they do appear to be a gnashing at teeth bunch of pansies... as your post indicates.

If you found the head line misleading, that would be on you as I did not find it misleading at all. Democrats are a whiny, ill-tempered bunch best swatted with a rolled up newspaper.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 05:51 pm
mysteryman wrote:

I guess you must have missed this part MM..

Quote:
Florida is not the only state considering moving their nominating contest into January, causing both the DNC and its counterpart, the Republican National Committee, a major headache. The RNC has similar restrictions on states, with the exception of Iowa and New Hampshire, from holding a nominating contest before Feb. 5.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:58 am
McGentrix wrote:

Well, they do appear to be a gnashing at teeth bunch of pansies... as your post indicates.

If you found the head line misleading, that would be on you as I did not find it misleading at all. Democrats are a whiny, ill-tempered bunch best swatted with a rolled up newspaper.

Speaking of gnashing at teeth and ill tempered...... Shocked
0 Replies