Fountain of Youth or the Most Expensive Urine in Town?

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:27 am
About a month or so ago, my cousin told me about a book on maximizing brain functioning as we age. It is called, "The Better Brain Book"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594480931/bookstorenow57-20

Over the past few years, I had become increasingly annoyed with my "senior moments". I hated going into a room, and wondering the reason that I went there. I was pissed when I started a book, put it down, and had to restart it from the beginning, as I lost track of the plot and characters.

This book is very big into vitamins and supplements, especially those that control the free radicals in the body. At the beginning of the book, they ask a number of questions. According to your answers, they rate you as in:

Tier I- No memory loss.- The supplements are prophylactic, and serve to fend off the start of "senior moments".
Tier II- Mild memory loss- "senior moments"- That's where I fit.
Tier III- Serious memory loss due to some form of dementia.

After you determine your tier, the book lists recommended supplements, with the dosages that are appropriate. It also discusses nutrition, and offers mental exercises that will help stimulate the brain.

Some of the stuff, like Vitamin B, and COQ10, I was taking already. Some of the others were more esoteric. I said to myself, "what the hell", I would give it a shot.

Anyhow, two days into the regimen, and quite a few bucks poorer, I started noticing differences. I picked up a book I had been reading, and knew exactly who the characters were, and what was happening where I left off. I saw an old TV show from the late 1950's, and remembered the names of some minor actors who haven't been around in decades. When I walk out of the house, where formerly I would invariably have to return because I had forgotten something, now I practically never forget anything that I need. This morning I was looking for an item I had not used in months. After a few seconds of thinking about it, I went right to it.

Now the change is not perfect, but I must say that it IS dramatic. I also have to say that at the same time, I have been dieting, and have lost some weight. I also walk about 3-4 miles a day. I don't know if these lifestyle changes have done anything to enhance my mental functioning, but I know that overall, I am feeling much, much better.

Have any of you found ways to increase your mental functioning?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,581 • Replies: 23
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:32 am
I just quit reading all this hysterical crap about,, what were we talkin about?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:34 am
Duh, I dunno! Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:17 pm
I don't like exercise, but I know I'm sharper physically and mentally when I spend some part of every day moving vigorously.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:06 pm
I know a lady who says her memory for everything has improved since she started trying to learn Spanish. Can't vouch for it, but it sounds about right.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 07:49 am
I've also noticed that after a day with some vigorous motion, my dreams are both more colorful and more cheerful.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 07:57 am
roger wrote:
I know a lady who says her memory for everything has improved since she started trying to learn Spanish. Can't vouch for it, but it sounds about right.

Roger- I think that makes a lot of sense. When a person is attempting to learn something new, and really studying, he tends to develop a flair for details, which probably generalizes to other parts of his life.

Noddy- One of the reasons that I love to walk, is that I find it is a great stress reliever. After I walk myself to exhaustion, I find that absolutely nothing bothers me. It is probably a result of the endorphins kicking in. What I am working on now walking the same distance, but cutting my time down by a few minutes every day.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:13 pm
Phoenix--

I finally got around to reading one of the New York Life Span articles and learned that while walking is good, walking briskly is extra-good.

Evidently life was not supposed to be a languid event.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
Noddy- I have found that over time, as I am building my aerobic capacity, I am lowering my pulse rate, which tended to be high. My next goal will be to reach a point where I can start to taper off my blood pressure meds.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 09:38 am
I was able to go off blood pressure pills after I lost some weight and revved up my sluggish metabolism.

As for your mega-vitamins. Knowing you, you researched the issue to a fare-the-well before you parted with your money. All the same, I tend to classify a lot of people as Snake Oil Salesmen.

I'm a great believer in placebos and positive thinking. I've learned to "untrigger" an automatic rage with other peoples' irrationality by touching the right, outside seam of my jeans.

Particularly outrageous irrationality requires touching the fleshy part of my right hand--just under the fingers to the top of my right knee.

Voila! Baby, I'm I charge here!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 09:42 am
Actually, I do something similar. When faced with unmitigated irrationality, I slam the side of my outstretched left hand, with the pinkie down, into the crook of my bending right arm! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:02 am
Phoenix--

I don't waste my time intimidating the blethering fools--I just slow down my beating heart.

Better Blood Pressure through stealth.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
Quote:
As for your mega-vitamins. Knowing you, you researched the issue to a fare-the-well before you parted with your money. All the same, I tend to classify a lot of people as Snake Oil Salesmen.

Noddy, for the life of me, I don't know which stuff works, and which doesn't. The thing is, something is working, and I don't care to mess with success.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:13 am
Phoenix--

Women of our age have spent a lot of time being nurturing, giving, understanding and patient.

If your new pills give you a daily payoff for the years of self-sacrifice, go for it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 11:16 am
Could it just be a placebo effect? Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 11:42 am
Miller--

Quote:
Could it just be a placebo effect?

Maybe--or it could be a reward for all those years of Devotion to Others.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 12:38 pm
It is likely too late for this mushy brain but just in case, would you please name the supplements and recommended dosages?

I know exercise is a proven way toward better health, mental and physical, but something more is needed when you find that those little moments of forgetfulness happen with regularity.

Glad to hear you are feeling so much better Phoenix. It's been a long time for you and for most of those in the nurturing crowd. I say anything that helps without hurting in the long run, is worth the expense.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 05:59 am
Diane- Ok girl, you asked for it. It is a long list.

This is for Tier 2- Prevention, Repair and Enhancement-

DHA-300mg.
Co- Q10 - 60 mg.
Vitamin E- 200 IU
Vitamin C 200 Mg. 2X daily
Alpha Lipoic Acid- 80 mg.
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) 400 mg.
Acetyl L Carnitine 400mg
Phosphatidylserine-100 mg.
Vitamin B Complex supplement that has:
B1 50 mg.
B3- 50 mg.
B6 50 mg.
Folic Acid 400 mcg.
B12 500 mcg.

Take another folic acid and B12 in the pm.

Most of the common things you can get in a drug store. For the more esoteric stuff, you can get it at:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/

Di- It might pay for you to get the book. There is a lot of other stuff in there about nutrition, and effects of certain medications on brain functioning, and exercises for enhancing the functioning of the brain.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:22 am
Miller wrote:
Could it just be a placebo effect? Cool

I really doubt it. Too many positive things have been happening to ascribe it to placebo effect.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:36 am
Thank you for the listing. My doctor recomended Centrum Silver ( Shocked I'm 44!) mainly for eye care. Evidently there's a specific vitamin included, at the correct dosage, that has reduced occurences of macular degeneration, which is similar to the histoplasmosis I have.

I will have to compare the Centrum Silver with your listing to see what may be missing.

Then, I suppose I'm gonna have to get out of this chair and actually exercise. Yuck! But, I'll do it.

This is quite motivating. It would be great to see if others have the same improvements.
0 Replies