Close Parkers

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
Have you ever gone out to your car and had some huge vehicle park so close to you, you couldn't get in? What is the protocol in such a situation? Last night, I stopped at the store on the way home. I found a parking spot next to those cart corral sort of things. When I am alone, I like parking next to them as I do not need to open the passenger door (and there is no one on that side to ding your door), but the downside is you tend to need to park a bit closer to the white line. Well, it wasn't an issue as the space next to it was empty and there weren't many cars in the parking lot any way.

So imagine my horror when I walked out and some huge vehicle parked so close (I was within the parking line) to me that I there was only room for a small person to be able to squeeze into the car. Fortunately for me I am a small person, however, had I been average size, I wouldn't be able to get in my car. I figured the only way for me to get in was to open my car door so that it hit the vehicle next to me so I did. Normally I am careful not to ding other cars with my door, but this person was obviously an inconsiderate a$$ so I was well within my rights to ding him.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 14
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:59 am
Death would have been a bit severe, but dinging seems to moderate. A broken limb, perhaps? Applied vigorously about the head and shoulders of the offending driver.

The only excuse for close parking is when all of the spaces are marked "compact car only," all of the handicapped spaces are taken, and the only consecutively free spaces are more than half the lot away.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:09 am
DrewDad wrote:
Death would have been a bit severe, but dinging seems to moderate. A broken limb, perhaps? Applied vigorously about the head and shoulders of the offending driver.

The only excuse for close parking is when all of the spaces are marked "compact car only," all of the handicapped spaces are taken, and the only consecutively free spaces are more than half the lot away.

Had I known that it would have been appropriate to do more harm, I would have waited for the culpert right next to his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
One thing this country could use in my estimation would be some sort of a Hotel California style SUV dealership in which the would-be SUV purchasers enter via the door and then either stay there forever as in the case of the hotel or exit via the chimney as at Auschwitz.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:18 pm
Re: Close Parkers
Linkat wrote:
Have you ever gone out to your car and had some huge vehicle park so close to you, you couldn't get in? What is the protocol in such a situation? Last night, I stopped at the store on the way home. I found a parking spot next to those cart corral sort of things. When I am alone, I like parking next to them as I do not need to open the passenger door (and there is no one on that side to ding your door), but the downside is you tend to need to park a bit closer to the white line. Well, it wasn't an issue as the space next to it was empty and there weren't many cars in the parking lot any way.

So imagine my horror when I walked out and some huge vehicle parked so close (I was within the parking line) to me that I there was only room for a small person to be able to squeeze into the car. Fortunately for me I am a small person, however, had I been average size, I wouldn't be able to get in my car. I figured the only way for me to get in was to open my car door so that it hit the vehicle next to me so I did. Normally I am careful not to ding other cars with my door, but this person was obviously an inconsiderate a$$ so I was well within my rights to ding him.

???

You parked within your space and, by your own admission, you parked "close to the line".

Was the other vehicle parked within the lines of their space?

If so, how is it that they were the inconsiderate a$$?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:24 pm
Linkat wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Had I known that it would have been appropriate to do more harm, I would have waited for the culpert right next to his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive.

You could have left a suitibly modified apple.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:05 pm
Re: Close Parkers
fishin wrote:
Linkat wrote:

???

You parked within your space and, by your own admission, you parked "close to the line".

Was the other vehicle parked within the lines of their space?

If so, how is it that they were the inconsiderate a$$?

It was the type of space that is next to the carriage corral so you do not have as much space and have to park near the white line - you have no other option or you cannot fit into the space - this is with a sedan not a big car or truck. The space next to me was empty and the parking lot as a whole was empty.

The big SUV next to me when I got out was parked on the white line. And s/he could have had another number of choice parking spaces as close to the door as the vehicle was parked.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:02 pm
In cases like these, vandalism is the only choice.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:28 pm
I got littlek these sticky notes - saw them in Harvard sq, but must exist elsewhere- they have preformulated messages that you can stick on the windshield. They are polite, if rather firm, informing the driver of what he has done and what consequences that has for others. Civic education.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:32 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
I got littlek these sticky notes - saw them in Harvard sq, but must exist elsewhere- they have preformulated messages that you can stick on the windshield. They are polite, if rather firm, informing the driver of what he has done and what consequences that has for others. Civic education.

Do you put those on before or after donkey-kicking a dent in their door?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:33 pm
I don't have a car, and am a happier person because of it. Nor a donkey.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:35 pm
dagmaraka wrote:

Hopefully they etch the message into the windshield.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:36 pm
(is a2k sticky? Or is it just me?)

The notes are good, but I usually write something very specific on the back (I've only used 3 of them). And then I hope it rains so they fuse with the windshield. I only use them to tell people to park better in my neighborhood where there's limited space (those people who take up two spaces).

So, those who live around here know about Porter square. They took an over crowded, tight-spaced parking lot and redid it to make it more crowded and tight-spaced. BEFORE they 'fixed' the lot I had to squeeze between two cars to get into mine, te other car had a crumpled fender which tore my pants as I passed. And we were both parked fairly properly. Sometimes it's the spaces that are at fault (or the lot planners).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:42 pm
(funny. now i have Post-it notes ad on the screen.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:16 pm
Yes, I had one of these huge, all black SUV parked next to me a couple of weeks ago and very close as well, but I needed to run one more errand and when I came back, the big SUV was gone and I had no problem getting into my car.
At home I discovered that the black color of the SUV was all over the
front corner of my bumper and one of the lights was cracked Evil or Very Mad
Luckily no dent and I was able to get rid of the black color eventually
and bought a new headlight. So I am as good as new again - until the
next idiot comes along...
0 Replies