TVs in Grocery Stores and Malls

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:37 am
Recently I have seen TVs in Malls and grocery stores and I don't like it! When I'm shopping especially in the grocery store, I'm not going to stop and watch some recipe thing they had going on - I only knew it was some sort of cooking/recipe as I couldn't help but overhear it. That's another thing; I cannot stand hearing the advertisements and whatever else crap they have on when I shop. So far this is the only grocery store I have seen these TVs in - so I can at least shop elsewhere.

What the heck is going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,990 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:47 am
It baffled me when I saw that the local grocer had put in a TV. It was angled so that anyone waiting in a very long check out line could watch while they waited, but it also was aimed at the deli, distracting the people working there. They have the news on, most of the time, or political talk programs. Very odd.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:10 pm
Hrrmmm... This is a new thing that I haven't seen yet.

It it the store's way to demonstrating that they've gone "high tech" or just another way to through sales pitches at you for things you probably don't need?

Skip the nonsense and keep the prices down!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:18 pm
fishin wrote:
Hrrmmm... This is a new thing that I haven't seen yet.

It it the store's way to demonstrating that they've gone "high tech" or just another way to through sales pitches at you for things you probably don't need?

Skip the nonsense and keep the prices down!

I think it is advertising.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:32 pm
Can you spell "C-A-P-T-I-V-E A-U-D-I-E-N-C-E"?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:20 pm
I was in Stop and Shop yesterday and noticed that everyone who entered the front door was recorded on film by a large camera at the top of the door.

Why?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:31 pm
linkat, are these tv's showing regular tv shows or just like receipes and and ads for stuff they want you to buy?

Something that just started here at gas stations really annoys me.

First it started with some loud obnoxious commercial being played on a speaker while you pumped your gas. You can mute it, but it's a pain in the butt.

Now, a lot of stations ask for your zip code before you can pump. I really hate that. The first time I screwed it up, like hit enter before putting in all the numbers...it told me to try again....just for the hell of it, I put in the zip code of where I grew up 2000 miles away. It wouldn't take it, or let me pump.

I thought, "what if I was just traveling through the area and didn't know a local zip code"

so I went in and shot the attendant, and turned all the pumps on for free gas for everybody.

Don't mess with me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:34 pm
Chai wrote:
linkat, are these tv's showing regular tv shows or just like receipes and and ads for stuff they want you to buy?

Something that just started here at gas stations really annoys me.

First it started with some loud obnoxious commercial being played on a speaker while you pumped your gas. You can mute it, but it's a pain in the butt.

Now, a lot of stations ask for your zip code before you can pump. I really hate that. The first time I screwed it up, like hit enter before putting in all the numbers...it told me to try again....just for the hell of it, I put in the zip code of where I grew up 2000 miles away. It wouldn't take it, or let me pump.

I thought, "what if I was just traveling through the area and didn't know a local zip code"

so I went in and shot the attendant, and turned all the pumps on for free gas for everybody.

Don't mess with me.

You're Awesome!

I didn't stop to watch - it sounded like they were making something like a recipe, but the jist I was getting it was advertising some sort of food item.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:46 pm
Miller--

Quote:
was in Stop and Shop yesterday and noticed that everyone who entered the front door was recorded on film by a large camera at the top of the door.

Why?

Because it is "Stop and Shop" , not "Stop and Shoplift" or "Stop and Commit Armed Robbery".
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
I see the occasional tv at the mall, i'm not sure i've ever seen one at the grocery store... but i get at least one a week at some of the clubs i play.....the adams apple gives 'em away though...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:54 pm
Chai wrote:

That's a security feature. You have to know the zip code that the bill is sent to, or you can't pump.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 03:55 pm
Cisco's pushing a new product for advertising; flatscreen TVs connected to a computer network that display ads.

I guess they never heard of "cable."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:05 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Chai wrote:

That's a security feature. You have to know the zip code that the bill is sent to, or you can't pump.

well then, I'm sorry I shot that attendant.

fortunately, it was just a flesh wound.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:10 pm
whenever i'm asked for my postal code, i always give them one of two, neither one mine

on the CBC (national radio), there used to be a program called basic black, hosted by arthur black, to make the postal address easy to remember he used to make up little phrases to go along with the postal code

when he was toronto it was Make 5 Wieners I'll Eat 6 (M5W 1E6) and when he moved to vancouver, he used Vacuum 6 Basements 4 Attics Too (V6B 4A2)

i switch up using these postal codes at stores all over the windsor area, i wonder what it does to the data, these random visits from toronto and vancouver
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:20 pm
some day, it'll all catch up to you.

it's a house of cards.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:49 pm
hehehe

I use the same postal codes djjd does. I suspect we're not alone ... a roving band of attic vacuumers ...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 04:01 am
The TVs are probably also to distract you from the s....l....o.....w cashiers.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:12 am
jespah wrote:
The TVs are probably also to distract you from the s....l....o.....w cashiers.

could be this one was near the deli counter and you know how slow they can be!

The ones in the mall (for you Bostonians it was in the South Shore Mall) seem to be strictly advertising. It is kind of surreal when I first saw them - like I was in one of those Sci-Fi in the future sort of movie.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:15 am
Like in Blade Runner?

When I first say that movie, and the moving advertisments, it really freaked me out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:45 am
Chai wrote:
Like in Blade Runner?

When I first say that movie, and the moving advertisments, it really freaked me out.

Yeah like that.
0 Replies