Boston: Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester and Hyde Park

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 08:47 am
A few years ago, my then landlady predicted the downturn in the economy would be followed by higher violence and non-violent crimes (like break-ins) rates. Seems she may have been right. In 2005 crime rates in total, have been falling. But the homicide rate isn't.

A group of teenagers from Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester and Hyde Park (sections of Boston) compiled info in a survey about how crime effects the people who live in those neighborhoods. They analyzed the data and made pie charts (good for them!) to show the governor. I hope Governor Patrick gives them some time.

Quote:
Of about 200 people ages 14 to 24 surveyed during a one-week period, about 62 percent said violence was the biggest problem in their community. More than 85 percent of the respondents said they had at least one friend who was a victim of gang-related violence, and 70 percent had at least one friend who was a victim of domestic violence.

"We have heard and seen stuff like this all the time," Jackson-Young said yesterday, as she stood in a Boston University classroom, analyzing the results. "It's just in numbers, now."

After conducting the survey, the teenagers entered the data into computer spreadsheets and divided them into a series of pie charts they hope to present to Governor Deval Patrick today. They will go to the State House, toting their results and a two-page letter to the governor requesting a meeting with him so they can discuss their findings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,496 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:55 pm
Was the economy responsible for this black-on-white attack in Boston?

Quote:
Couples recall 'shocking' attack
Atlanta pair may not return to city

By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff | August 20, 2007

Nora Sullivan and her husband drove up from Atlanta this month to visit his brother and sister and her husband for the weekend and tour the city's historical sites.

The group walked the Freedom Trail, ate oysters on the half shell at Quincy Market, and in the evening went to the top of the Prudential Center and dined at the Top of the Hub, where Sullivan's sister-in-law, Laura Sullivan, treated everyone to dinner overlooking the city.

But the visit that included some of the best aspects of Boston quickly clashed with one of the worst -- its crime.

On their way back to the hotel, the couples were assaulted by three women, who slammed Nora Sullivan, 25, in the face with the wedge heel of a shoe and grabbed Laura Sullivan, 36, by the hair, tearing at it so violently, parts of her scalp were ripped off.

Two weeks after the attack, Nora Sullivan and her husband said they may never return to Boston. Laura Sullivan, who works for a staffing agency four blocks from the scene on Tremont Street, said she avoids walking near the place.

"I would never want to go back there at night, that's for sure," Sullivan said yesterday in a telephone interview.

Police have not arrested anyone in connection with the Aug. 5 assault, but Laura Sullivan said the next day a detective told her he planned to look at cameras in a nearby parking garage to see if anything was captured on film. She said she has not heard anything from police since then.

"This incident is under investigation," said Elaine Driscoll, spokeswoman for the Boston Police Department. "It appears to be an isolated incident. The department has received no other reports of any type of similar incident prior to or since the time that this was reported. If there were any witnesses in that area who might have seen anything, we would appreciate it if they would come forward with any additional details."

The women said they are still trying to understand why they were attacked.

"We did not provoke these women or say any kind of hateful things to them," said Nora Sullivan by phone from Georgia. "We were simply trying to get back to the hotel."

After dinner, the couples went to the Alley off Boylston Street, a popular strip of bars downtown. Laura Sullivan's brother, who lives in Tennessee, went back to the Courtyard Marriott Hotel in the Theater District, where Nora Sullivan and her husband also were staying.

About 1:30 a.m., the couples, who said they were laughing and chatting excitedly, began walking back to the hotel. They were about a block away when they saw three women whom they estimated to be in their late 20s staring at them.

As the couples passed, Nora Sullivan said, the women, who were black, screamed "honky" at them and swore at her.

Laura Sullivan said she responded, "Excuse me?"

"They took offense at it," she said. "Who knows what offends people?"

The couples walked on hurriedly and were about 10 feet away from the hotel door when the attack began, she said.

Nora Sullivan, who fell to the ground, looked up to see her sister-in-law surrounded by women. One woman had grabbed her from behind and wrapped her arms around Laura Sullivan's face.

Suddenly, several other people appeared on the sidewalk with them, she said. Some tried to help the couples, but others joined in and hit Nora Sullivan's husband.

"He got punched in the face," she said. "He said the guy just came out of the crowd and just sucker-punched him."

The fight broke up when police officers arrived. The crowd scattered, and Laura Sullivan said she was placed in an ambulance.

Nora Sullivan said the attack might have been motivated by race. But Laura Sullivan said she does not know what to think.

As she stood on the street, being hit by at least six women while her husband tried to shield her, she said she felt more confusion than pain.

"What's going on?" she recalled thinking to herself during the attack. "What happened?"

Driscoll said it is too early in the investigation to determine whether the attack was racial. "To suggest a motive at this point would be inappropriate," she said.

Laura Sullivan said she was also confused by the reaction of one police officer, who she said seemed to think she instigated the attack.

"I think he was treating me as though I was in a street fight, and I was sitting there and I had just been attacked," she said.

Security guards at the Marriott Hotel filed a police report on behalf of the victims.

"I never heard about an incident like that before," said Willie Nagda, a hotel manager who has worked at the Marriott since January. "This is the first time I heard about someone being attacked in the past six months."

At Boston Medical Center, a doctor put seven staples in Laura Sullivan's scalp, which might have been ripped by one of her assailants' jewelry or from her hair being yanked. For several days, she said, she could not sleep on her back or the right side of her body because of the pain. The bruise on her leg is finally fading.

"It was shocking, absolutely shocking," Nora Sullivan said. "We were just wanting to have a good time."

Boston Globe
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:25 pm
When I was working on my Master's Degree in Economics I did a statistical analysis of how the unemployment rate effects the crime rate and of course there is a huge correlation.

A downturn in the economy would be a similar situation. What would seem logical - people don't have jobs/their economic situation becomes worse, etc., they become desperate and/or lash out. The stats simply support what happens when people become desperate.

I also read the article Miller supplied - horrible situation, but this did sound a bit more race related. However, it is still possible these individuals may have felt these uppity rich white folks are having a great time while I'm struggling - could be a combination of anger at their economic situation or just plain anger or just some idiots.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:29 pm
Well, bad economics WITH the gap between rich and poor growing - bad situation.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:34 pm
Sometimes there's no rhyme & reason to the crime rate, at least over a period of just a few years. Lynn had an insane amount of murders one year, then dropped by a huge amount for the next couple, then back up again.

As long as those areas are poor, they're going to have high crime rates, unfortunately.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:38 pm
I bet there's a reason. But, it might not have been economic. When I was living in GA, there was a huge influx of high-quality heroin. Several people died, the drug trade boomed, pot without heroin traces was hard to come by. I dunno if the crime rate peaked also. But, life sure did change for a year or two. I lost friends, my friends broke up, I broke up, people were crashing at other people's hou.... oh, wait that's sort of normal for athens, ga.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:01 pm
The fact that the Boston Police Dept. has a terrible rate for clearing crimes doesn't help. As of last week the homicide clearance rate for this year was at 17%. Boston cops have never been good at this stuff. The best they've ever managed is 64% (2003) and the 15 year average is in the low 50s.

The Police Dept. has basically told the criminals that there is no law enforcement and they are free to do whatever they want to do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:46 pm
Fishin - any theories as to why that is?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:02 pm
I dunno for sure. Some of it probably has to do with the Boston PD's reputation over the decades. It doens't seem to matter who they hire, most people still see is as a bastion of white Irish guys. I think that may have worked for them in the 40s and 50s when they could get away with bashing heads to keep people in line but that doesn't work any more.

The Irish have been pushed out of (or left) much of the city so everyone isn't related to a cop any more either. Boston is a minority majority city now and it isn't just one minority group either. It used to be that cops had a lot of influence over a neighborhhod even when they were off duty but the small enclaves seems to have dilluted that.

Back 30 or 40 years ago the police were "tuned in" to the neighborhoods better and, while there was a lot of police corruption, it was controlled corruption. If something happened that the police weren't controlling they could find out who did it in a hurry and make an example of them.

They aren't tuned in any more. People are suspicious of the cops and don't talk to them. The cops don't control the city - the city controls them.

All things considered, IMO, Bostion is probably the most racially divided and racist cities I've seen and the police are in the middle of it. Until they change their hiring practices they aren't going to get a handle on things.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:06 pm
I was going to ask what would change it. A revolutionary change in management? What is it Giuliani did in NYC?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:35 pm
I don't know what they did in NYC.

If it were up to me, I'd recommend that they put a map of the city on the wall and stick a pin in for the address of every cop they have. After that, every new cop they hire should come from a block that doesn't have a pin in it and they should keep going until the distribution is fairly even across the city.

They need cops that know the people in their neighborhoods and the people need to know the cops. Once cops and non-cops know, trust and talk to each other they'll start solving crimes.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:09 am
Quote:
Bostion is probably the most racially divided and racist cities

No, Chicago is the most racially divided and racist cities, in my opinion.

And it will never change. The whites left the City, moved to the suburbs, the blacks moved into the City. Then, the blacks decided that middle class neighbor hoods in the City weren't what they were looking for, and decided to move to the suburbs. With this happening now, the whites are moving back to the City, and to the high-rise up scale condos of the near loop areas.

In and out, back and forth and all the time, section after section of the City going slum...With only a select group of areas being conserved by the politicians.

Part of the Boston problem stems from the fact that the mayor of Boston is a first class dummy. Many, many Bostonians have complained of the lack of police in the theatre district at night ( after 8 pm ). As a matter of fact, the only times you'll see cops in that area at night is when the BSO is playing or or one of the theatres has a show. These cops are "on a detail" and as such are not paid by the City.

Late at night, that area is still infested with drug dealers and prostitutes. Still nothing is done...

With assaults on tourists , such as discribed above,
tourist visits to Boston will decline.

Perhaps tourists should arm themselves with pepper spray, before touring the City of Boston.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:31 am
struth - it is an odd part of town filled with dressed up theater-goers and dressed-down drug users and sellers. At what point did it spread out of the edge of chinatown?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:43 am
The whores and drug dealers have been in Chinatown for some time. The whores walk the streets night and day and no one seems to care, except the home owners in Chinatown who can't get rid of this human trash.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm
There aren't nearly as many whores walking around Chinatown at night as there were 8-9 years ago. It used to be comical, seeing all the fat crackheads strolling around in lingerie.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:24 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
There aren't nearly as many whores walking around Chinatown at night as there were 8-9 years ago. It used to be comical, seeing all the fat crackheads strolling around in lingerie.

late at night, there's bunches of hispanic whores working their way around that club where the Blue Man group performs. These are young women too...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:26 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
It used to be comical, seeing all the fat crackheads strolling around in lingerie.

The "girls" in front of the NEMC are a bit different, wearing suits, glasses and carrying brief cases...They give themselves away however, when they start to flag down the truck drivers..

Round trip with these "girls" is about 30 min and they're back out there in front of the Shubert...
0 Replies