Where Shall We Meet to Have Lunch?

eoe

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
some day...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:19 pm
italian...in italy is awesome for sure. i think cambodia was the only country where i'd say the food just about anywhere was even better...and i was in a few countries.

morocco comes close, too, but perhaps after italy. greece...bah. doesn't do it for me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm
I will have to go to cambodia then - at least to eat! I love good food!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm
Or Lowell, Mass. or Long Beach, Cali... lots of Cambodians there. There are some worthy restaurants in Lowell to explore.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:52 pm
Lowell is a bit of a hike for me - I'm south of Boston.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:53 pm
You could probably drive it faster.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:00 pm
Oh, my. I had almost forgotten about Indian food. I love the couple of good places we have here in Raleigh. An Indian family in the neighborhood brought me some leftovers from one of their family gatherings after hearing that I love Indian food. Was similar to the restaurants so I'm assuming both are authentic'/ close to what real Indian food is like.

Yum! Make mine HOT!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:55 pm
Dag--

I'll be visiting family in Lowell in October and will seek out the Cambodian restaurants.

Do you have any specific recommendations?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:58 pm
Singapore - I've eaten the best Asian cuisine there, which was a mix
of Thai, Chinese, Indian and Indonesian. Superb!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:00 pm
squinny, To keep the whole trip somewhat on the economy-side, I suggest the Mandarin restaurant in Saigon. It'll be the cheapest, best meal with fantastic service you'll ever experience. It's now one of my favorite restaurants in the whole world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:03 pm
Mandarin

Cuisine Vietnamese, Chinese

Hours Daily 11am-2pm and 5:30-10pm

Address 11A Ngo Van Nam

Location District 1, Around Town

Phone 08/822-9783

Fax 08/825-6185

Prices Main courses $5.70-$18; set menu from $17 per person (minimum 2)
Credit Cards AE, MC, V

Frommer's Review

On a quiet side street between busy Le Than Thon and the river, cross the threshold at Mandarin and you enter a quaint, elegant oasis that will have you forgetting the seething city outside. Decor is an upscale Chinese motif with timber beams, fine Chinese screen paintings, and artwork on two open-plan floors. It's plush but not stuffy, and you'll feel comfortable in casual clothes or a suit. The staff is professional and attentive but doesn't hover, and it is helpful with suggestions and explanations. Ask about daily specials and set menus. I had an excellent spicy sautéed beef served in bamboo with rice. For a memorable meal, don't miss the famed duck done in a sweet "Mandarin style." The steamed lobster in garlic is as good as it sounds and their seafood steamboat for four is a real coupe. The restaurant features a live classical trio (call ahead for schedule).

For that $18, you'll get a meal worth much, much, more.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
I'm hungry.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
From the review, I wouldn't know where to start! It all sounds delicious.

Now, do I have to know another language or have you all found in your travels that I could navigate with English? Hadn't thought about that before now. Somewhere during the day I'll likely need a potty break.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:14 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dag--

I'll be visiting family in Lowell in October and will seek out the Cambodian restaurants.

Do you have any specific recommendations?

I'll scope it out, noddy. I'll be there on 31st and 1st sept. We plan to find a good Cambodian restaurant, and I'll report back to you. we might also be working with the Cambodian community in Lowell - so I'll have insider access, too!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:14 pm
Most popular tourist places have English speaking staff - and a English menu. Wink
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:16 pm
Whew! That's good to know. I'll start putting together my itenerary.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:48 am
Dag--

Quote:
I'll scope it out, noddy. I'll be there on 31st and 1st sept. We plan to find a good Cambodian restaurant, and I'll report back to you. we might also be working with the Cambodian community in Lowell - so I'll have insider access, too!

Good. My son who lives in Lowell can't recommend a good Cambodian restaurant, but would love to discover one.

Eating quantities of good food is one of our family hobbies.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:07 am
Food Street, Lahore, Punjab in pakistan. You can experience Cuisine of the whole Indopakistan SubContinent. On a street side built in Mogul Times , renovated some. I will wait to go there until things settle down a little bit in that region.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:17 am
Anywhere, really. Somewhere new, in a country I've never been to (yet).

With a new friend.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:17 am
Lorna wrote:
Anywhere, really. Somewhere new, in a country I've never been to (yet).

With a new friend.

That's one of the benefits of travel; making new friends. I have friends all over the world because of my travels and meeting people. About five percent keep in touch, but that's reasonable. Some are more regular than others, but I know if I drop them an email, they'll usually respond. Even met Lindsay Hamilton, professional singer, who lives near London. Met her on a cruise from Lisbon to Barbados a few years ago. She's been in shows such as Les Misereables and other Lloyd Weber shows. Have quite a few friends in the UK, and have been to London twice for a a2k gathering.
0 Replies