Where Shall We Meet to Have Lunch?

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:48 am
Daughter has decided that she would like to become a flight attendant. In speaking with those in the flight industry, it appears there are some great perks for Mom, too. A pilot friend mentioned that family gets to fly free to many destinations or for example, $49 to Rome.

WHAT?

For $49 I could go to Rome just for lunch!

Then I got to thinking about all the other possibilities, which only served to complicate my decision. That brings me to you since I have never ventured past the US and Bahama's...

If we could meet for lunch at only one place in the world, where would you choose?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,867 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:09 am
As of this time and place, I'd pick up an elegant picnic lunch and amble slowly along the north coast of Cornwall, relishing the ocean views and being careful to avoid the sheep manure.

Squinney--

You might find some ideas here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2813347#2813347
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:26 am
Oh, yes, I just saw that one Noddy. (and lifted your words for my sig line. I LOVE it!)

We can make this one about places to lunch on a quick day trip if we like. Just one choice so it has to be an all time favorite.

A picnic at Cornwall... Shall we spread our blanket here...?

http://www.englishretreats.com/cornwall.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:20 am
Well, there was a fabulous little brasserie (sp?) in Paris where I had the last of the "lapin" (sorry, dlowan!) which was to die for. I would go back there in a heartbeat, if that chef was still there.

Another place I'd return to is a railcar restaurant in the Marktplatz in Frankfurt where I had the most delicious weisswurst... ahh, great food.

Can't think of just one - way too many good eateries!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:39 am
I still can get buddy passes from my friend who retired from PanAm/United. Or, as far as I know I can. I almost took her up on that once, but I remember it as complicated. The time I amost took her up on it, I ended up just buying my tickets..

First among the difficulties I remember - to get the paperwork from her, though these days I guess that could be emailed, but, uh, she doesn't email.

Second, there was some dumb rule like women had to wear high heels. I don't wear high heels at all, much less sixteen hours plus from the US west coast to Europe. That is apparently because you are representing the airline family, and mustn't be a slobbo.
Perhaps this rule has been modified. I wonder if Danskos count...

Third, there was something about having to get the pass for each stopover of the trip - her sister got stuck in Miami once and it was a big deal to get the next leg's pass, involving missed flights, etc.

Well, all that aside, I'll meet you in Roma, kiddo. Er, Beagle-O.
Where, well, we'll start at La Focaccia, the small trattoria near the front of Santa Maria della Pace, where I had my favorite pizza ever ever ever. Followed by gelato or dessert of your choice a bit later from Giolitti... this will leave you in the heart of Old Rome, with lots to see before you catch the plane back. (Me, I'll be stayin' a bit, using up that lottery moolah.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:44 am
Bratislava, Slovakia. My parents' back yard. You're all invited. My dad makes his own fabulous wine and we have a big outdoors wood stove outside for grilling/bbq-ing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 02:24 pm
Squinney--

Lovely, but that looks like the south coast of Cornwall.

The north coast is mostly well above the sea with thousands of black granite boulders--threre are only four fishing villages on the north coast, only four places where it is possible to beach a boat.

I lived there for a year and a bit and return frequently, mentally, when I want to admire turbulance from a safe viewing spot.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:14 pm
Squinney, In Norway, outside of Oslo, you take a tram up the side of a mountain to a restaurant in the clouds. Air crisp. Sky blue. Surroundings breathtaking. Lunch on the patio. I had cold lobster served on silver. Half the lobster arrived. I ate it. They cleared and reset may place. Then brought the second half.

I'd go back there in a heartbeat. I'll meetcha.

BTW, I'll meetcha if I get the discount too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:20 pm
Dutch Harbor, the Aleutians. When I was a sailor, in 1964, we stopped there to refuel. There was a whole town sitting there, empty. Seven persons were on the island, to fuel ships. When I googled it last year, I discovered there is now a resort there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:21 pm
Guam
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:06 pm
Noddy, then north shore it shall be. Turbulance at a distance. I like that. With you at my side I'd look it right in the face.

Paris would be wonderful, Mame. Not sure what a brasserie is, nor lapin. That's okay, though. You had me at weisswurst.

Wonderful, Osso. I would need a good guide for Rome. You are definitely going with me!

Slovakia... Yum! Hard to top a home cooked native meal.

You're in, Roberta. Norway must have been breathtaking!

Ah, Edgar, I hate when they take something quant and turn it into moolah machines. Maybe we could still find a cove?

I know nothing of Guam. Have you been there, Shewolf, or will we discover it together?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
Squinney--

Thanks for the kind words.

Believe me, as a Bachelorette in the Process of Recycling, you'll get pretty good at dealing with turbulence. I've been there, done that and can still use the t-shirt as a nighty.

On the other hand, you'll have lots of time to dream of exotic lunches.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
The poshest most expensive restaurant in New York.

(What is it? Anyone know? I'm going there one day.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:20 am
If it is strictly for eating....pretty much any where in Italy. The best food in the world.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:53 am
If you like Italian food.

Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:07 pm
Phnom Penh.

The airport is only 20 minutes away from the center by a tuk-tuk, and the food is phenomenal. Mixture of Chinese, Indian and French influences.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:10 pm
Let's stay in the good ol' US of A and head to Maine for some lobstah. Or is the season over?
Not in my fantasy! Very Happy

My stepson started working at the airport about six months ago. We thought we were in like Flint but then, he was laid off. He says. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't but, losing the perks before we'd even had a chance to use them sure added to the disappointment. Sad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:15 pm
eoe wrote:
Let's stay in the good ol' US of A and head to Maine for some lobstah. Or is the season over?
Not in my fantasy! Very Happy

Lobster season is never ovah! You can get it all year long - just costs more in the winter.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:15 pm
I'll pay!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
If you like Italian food.

Smile

I love all sorts of food - but I have never tasted anything better than the food in italy.
0 Replies