Russia, China hold joint military exercise

Zippo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:21 am
Russia, China hold joint military exercise

The Associated Press
Published: August 17, 2007

CHEBARKUL TESTING RANGE, Russia: Fighter jets streaked through the air and hundreds of armored vehicles roared across a field in mock assault as Russian and Chinese forces on Friday held their first joint maneuvers on Russia's territory - an exercise intended to demonstrate their growing military ties and a shared desire to counter U.S. global clout.

The war games in Russia's southern Ural Mountains involved some 6,000 troops from Russia and China and also a handful of soldiers from four ex-Soviet Central Asian nations that are part of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, a regional group dominated by Moscow and Beijing.

Russia's President Vladimir Putin, China's Hu Jintao and other leaders of the SCO nations attended the exercise, which follows their summit Thursday in the Kyrgyz capital, Bishkek.

The summit concluded with a communique that sounded like a thinly veiled warning to the United States to stay away from the strategically placed, resource-rich region. "Stability and security in Central Asia are best ensured primarily through efforts taken by the nations of the region on the basis of the existing regional associations," the statement said.

Friday's military exercise involved dozens of aircraft and hundreds of armored vehicles and other heavy weapons which countered a mock attack by terrorists striving to take control of energy resources.

The United States, Russia and China have been locked in an increasingly tense rivalry for control over Central Asia's vast hydrocarbon riches. Washington supports plans for pipelines that would carry the region's oil and gas to the West and bypass Russia, while Moscow has pushed strongly to control the export flows. China also has shown a growing appetite for energy to power its booming economy.

Russia's Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Losyukov on Friday denied media allegations that the military exercise was aimed against the United States. "I don't see anything anti-American in the SCO exercise," he said, according to the ITAR-Tass news agency.

Moscow and Beijing have developed what they call a "strategic partnership" after the Soviet collapse, cemented by their perceptions that the United States dominates global affairs.

The SCO was created 11 years ago to address religious extremism and border security issues in Central Asia. In recent years, with Iran, India, Pakistan and Mongolia signing on as observers, the group has increasingly grown into a bloc aimed at defying U.S. interests in the region.

In 2005, the SCO called for a timetable to be set for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from two member countries, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. Uzbekistan evicted U.S. forces later that year, but Kyrgyzstan still has a U.S. base, which supports operations in nearby Afghanistan. Russia also maintains a military base in Kyrgyzstan.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad attended the annual summit for the second consecutive year.

On Thursday, Ahmadinejad criticized U.S. missile defense plans as a threat to the entire region. "These intentions go beyond just one country. They are of concern for much of the continent, Asia and SCO members," he said.

iht.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 438 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:07 am
I believe they did this a couple of years ago to.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:19 am
Amigo wrote:
I believe they did this a couple of years ago to.

Thats right they did. Iran, India and Pakistan have applied to become SCO members. I think they're gettin a little tired of US meddling in their countries. Bush won't be around to fight the enemy he created. soab!. Him and his gang of neo-con pedophiles will have retired with billions in their pockets. Whilst we fight his future wars, he'll be butt fecking his buddies/boys in some Texas ranches.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:51 am
The repedaphiles!!! Laughing I just made that up Laughing ......sorry.Back to the topic.

Yes what else were those countries supossed to do? This is why what Bush and America did from the beginning is so bad for the world and the country. And for a person with half a brain the future was flashing in front of your head as Colin Powell made his case in front of the U.N. and it was bull$hit. When he did that and the person next to me was beleiveing and hanging on every word.... Thats when I knew the world was f#@ked.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:04 pm
if i were russia, i'd do some military show-off as well. with GWB running around Europe, pushing installation of missile defense shield in eastern europe without getting russia on board/.

very unfortunate choices, if you ask me.
0 Replies