ART CHAT - AUGUST Did Painting Die? Sundays,8-10pm NY time

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
Major international installations such as the Venice Biennale focus more and more on installation art. Many of the most reviewed gallery spaces in major cities seem to promote art that involves almost anything but paintings that are meant to hang on walls. Digital art is coming into its own..or is it? Is traditional painting - abstract or representational - dead as a doornail? Much of the "new" art has expanded the envelope of what is thought of as "visual art".

Do you think this apparent change in art interest is true? Are you stimulated by the changes and use new ideas in your own work? Are you displeased by the shift from traditional painting/sculpture, bemused by it, or delighted by it (if you think there has been a shift)?

Come join us on the A2K chat room at 8-10 p.m. New York time, every Sunday in August. People tend to pop in and out at different times, so wait a few minutes if no one is there when you check.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,285 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:11 am
where is this chat room?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
You find it on both the Home page and the Control Panel page of A2k...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 10:10 am
I'm sorry i can't join the chats but it translates as some horrible hour in the morning here Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:21 am
I know, Vivien, we should change the time. That was set up early when the chat was first started. How about something like 7 pm London time, 2 pm NY, 11 am for Los Angeles? As it has been, Hebba in Denmark can't do it either...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 04:08 pm
Hi everyone I am missing you a lot.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 12:37 am
ossobuco wrote:
I know, Vivien, we should change the time. That was set up early when the chat was first started. How about something like 7 pm London time, 2 pm NY, 11 am for Los Angeles? As it has been, Hebba in Denmark can't do it either...

that would be great Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 10:20 pm
Hi, Vivien, I just caught your answer (have been sort of out, this week), and hi, Joanne, we miss you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:27 pm
art
Yes, Joanne; we are looking forward to your return.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:29 pm
Just a quick FYI. The chat room will be removed shortly and I am not sure when it will return.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 05:18 pm
art
Craven, I hate to be a kvetch but AARRGGGHHH!

p.s., I'm sure it's justified and necessary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 05:21 pm
Thanks for the notice, Craven.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 06:25 pm
thats why I was the only one there last night. I hope it returns before we get back from our expedition
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 07:35 pm
art
I don't know how I missed you. I was in the chat room for about a half hour, with "Kud97" (?) and the infamous Letty. It was an enjoyable if brief chat.
Enjoy you expedition.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 08:25 pm
I was there right at the beginning, 5:03 my time (CA), but I didn't wait around this time like I usually do, staying around the computer area with the chat room onscreen. When Craven brings it back, if he does, maybe we can nail down a couple of likely times for chat so people from England and Denmark and California and Arizona can check in.

The chat has been supposed to be scheduled for two hours, as it was set up, and has often gone on that long, but it is hard to wait an hour if you are the first one there.

If this gets going again, we could pm people who we know are interested...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 11:04 pm
art
Good points, Osso. Hope it doesn't turn out to be the eulogy for Chat (RIP).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 11:20 pm
And welcome back, jlnobody!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:27 am
JL, do you do any on-site painting when you go to your desert place? Id love to have a week or so out in the desert to just sit and do landscapes and skies.
Were starting to get some spectacular sunsets here in MAine , and it will be so for the fall and into the winter . I have a spot picked out for a skyscape in September as a one last painting before we have to wrap up and head south.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:42 am
art
Farmer, I have plenty of opportunity to do on-site desert landscape painting. Unfortunately, I've have neither the preparation nor the inclination to take advantage of it (one of God's little ironies). My tree, snow and beach scenes are strictly from my imagination--and abstract take-offs from nature, or my conception of nature's beauty.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:54 pm
I'll do my best to put a chat up again. If nothing else I'll create a remotely hosted chat room for you all.
0 Replies