Operation Mars

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 03:56 pm
Two NASA probes will soon explore opposite sides of Mars, studying the terrain and looking for any evidence that water may have once been present on the planet.

NASA's budget in fiscal 2003 was $15.33 billion. Many people believe space exploration yields valuable practical discoveries as well as laying a wider groundwork for progress of the species. Others believe it is inappropriate to spend billions on space programs when there are pressing matters of greater concern on the surface of the planet.

Where do you stand?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 790 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:05 pm
I think the "laying a wider groundwork" part is very important, if I understand you correctly. Specifically, space exploration is the "sexy" part that gets the big bucks, but a lot of those big bucks actually go to more pure scientific efforts. These efforts may be purely theoretical -- reaching a greater understanding of the universe and how it works -- or have direct bearing on our everyday lives. (Medical advances, et al.)

I'm kind of reminded of the discussions re: the Patriot Act and similar (or worse) promises to "protect" America, that if civil liberties are so thoroughly trodden upon, it's not America that is being protected -- the American ideal is in fact damaged by such draconian measures.

Similarly, while I am loath to say "let them eat McDonald's value meals", I think there is intrinsic worth to humanity to let science flourish.

(Full disclosure -- my husband is an astrophysicist.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:14 pm
sozobe
That's cheating. Laughing
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
Hmmm....well, as someone who's first bachelors was in molecular bio, I am all in favour of the space program, and the exploration of Mars and Europa in particular. Microbial ecology anyone? Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:21 pm
I fully support space exploration for many reasons, both romantic and practical. AlthoughI believe that we are not working hard enough to solve the pedestrian problems of life here on Earth, it is still a necessity to expand our presence in space.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:21 pm
In the grand scheme of things, $15 billion is a very very small drop in the budget bucket. I think we get quite a bang for our investment and what we learn in space just might help prolong the time until that day our own planet dies.

I know it isn't the immediate gratification people want these days, but sometimes thinking about the future is more important then exploiting the present.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:24 pm
It is important not to forget what the space program has always yielded in the way of new technologies, and, therefore, in jobs for our own citizens, as opposed to what the capitalist pigs constantly export to cut their bottom line and line their pockets. Never was there a government program which yielded such returns as NASA.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is important not to forget what the space program has always yielded in the way of new technologies

What advances?
Watching mice piss in weightless conditions?
Watching a plant grow in weightless conditions?

How is knowing how a plant grows in weightless conditions going to help?

It seems the faster and further something goes, the more people says "Wowzers!".... let's give money to this thing, it must be important! Faster! Further!

There is no point sending people into space. The best and the brightest should be trying to help us figure out what this planet needs us to do for us to survive as a species.

Idolatry should be dropped in favour of a system that benefits mankind instead of vicariously fulfilling everyone's child-dreams of becoming astronauts.

Sad really.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:31 pm
Nah, most of us already know instinctively what can the save the planet and the human species, it's just that we ignore it. Leave space exploration to NASA, and curing disease to scientists and doctors. Why should they be responsible for solving the human condition? Shouldn't we all be doing that for ourselves?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:03 pm
wenchilina
By visiting this link you can see that the space program helps our everyday lives with things from improved cancer treatments to sunglasses.
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/industry-02f.html
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:01 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Nah, most of us already know instinctively what can the save the planet and the human species, it's just that we ignore it.

well thank goodness you have everything figured out. Funny, scientists forecast based on population statistics versus carrying capacity it's a tad late but hey, clearly you have the scoop.

Any of the items mentioned weren't products of the space program-- they were used by the space program. Ah, well, I'll concede that there may have been one or two things that would have taken another year by themselves to really get into the marketplace, but since I'm no expert, I'll just have to wait for the answers from the aliens that will be hooking into my computer.

Let's waste money sending a hubble to mars, a planet that is not hospitable to humans but hey man, screw the earth and utilizing those excessive funds for helping the planet we live because wow there might have been water on mars

whoopdedoo
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:52 pm
Space exploration is definetly important.Without it we wouldn't have satellites, and without satellites there would be no such thing as global communication, weather prediction(doppler radar), geographical data, correct mapping, GPS etc.... among all the other NASA spinoffs.

Still I can't help but think this is where the govt. should start trimming the budget.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:45 am
The military and foreign adventurism is the first place to cut the budget, in my estimation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:07 am
Exactly, edgar. We're spending some obscene amount in Iraq every day.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 08:30 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Without it we wouldn't have satellites, and without satellites there would be no such thing as global communication, weather prediction(doppler radar)...

I get and agree with your overall point but Doppler Weather Radar has nothing to do with Satellites excpet of the possible use of them to relay the actual collected data.

There are thousands of tangible products and technologies that we use because of NASA research. Perhaps the greatest reson to continue their funding is the intangible though. For millions of people NASA symbolizes their hopes and dreams. Everbody's gotta believe in something (I believe I'll have another beer. Wink ).
0 Replies