Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
Weapons Of Mass Destruction In Iraq

Well, I think the "give us time, we will find them" excuse can officially be used as toilet paper at this point. Even IF they did exist before the war, they're not there now, and we aren't going to find them.

So, I'm curious for your opinions. If you were in support of the war, does the fact that one of the "Big Three" reasons (terrorism and the liberation of the Iraqi people being the other two) for going to war was a mess of horse **** bother you or at all impact your feelings on the situation?

And, if you were against the war (particularly if you are from a country other than the U.S.) how does this make you feel about the U.S.? Obviously, some good came from this conflict. The Iraqi people have been freed from an oppressive regime. However, the International community pleaded with the U.S. not to go to war. Does the fact that the U.S. government made false claims about WMDs at all tarnish the good that has come from the conflict?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 892 • Replies: 18
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 03:14 pm
It remains to be seen how much good has come of it so far.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
I think what I have always thought. We have a lying SOB for president with the mentality of a child. He is an embarrassment to this nation and has reduced our creditability to zero.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:18 pm
See Above. Sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:27 pm
Bush is a lying S.O.S. and will probably be reelected. anyone remember reagan?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:33 pm
Shhh. I'm trying to forget. Worked for him.

Er.

Am I channeling Bob Hope?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:39 pm
Can't we change the channel?

Washington seems like it's on a very long commercial break.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:47 pm
dyslexia
Quote:
Bush is a lying S.O.S. and will probably be reelected.

Who was it that used the big lie strategy. Ah yes, now I remember no names just initials A.H. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:55 pm
What Au said plus irritation at the idea that terrorism or links to bin Laden are still even mentioned as an "excuse."

It seems very clear to me that Bush asked Congress and the people to believe him, presenting information which he knew to be unreliable and false. If he were doing that to justify, say, taking over the state government of California, he'd be in jail or the nuthouse by now.

Why are we putting up with his protracted myth-making about Iraq? Why are we putting up with the notion that, oh well, after all, we dethroned Saddam, as though cavalierly dispatching so many lives, so much credibility, such a huge chunk of deficit, and the good will of the international community could so easily be done just for one lousy kid's pleasure at running another bad kid out of the playground.

Welcome CerealKiller! Please give an extra whack to anything that's frosted.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 06:27 pm
Unfortunately we are stuck with the results of his big lie and now make the best of a bad situation. However, what we cannot do is cut and run. That fact may just be the factor that reelects bush. I remember during the second world war during the election campaign the slogan was "don't change horses in mid stream."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 06:37 pm
Yeah, but if it's a blind and lame nag? I'd rather a savvy Donkey, myself...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 06:42 pm
Tatarin
You may however be in the minority.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:39 am
Well, duh! That's where the best people live, Au!!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:50 am
Well, somewhere I got the idea that the reason for the war was so that Iraqi oil would be sold in US dollars, instead of Euro dollars.

Somewhere I also came across all the contracts that were going to be awarded, awarded to Amercian companies who would then subcontract it out to Brits and Iraqis.

Hum, the Americans make the money, but do none of the work.

It was a while back when I read this, and, frankly, I'm so disgusted I just quit paying attention.

Anyone who knows anything about this, I'd be happy to read your thoughts.

If there were weapons, couldn't the regime have sold them--or moved them out of the country--before we moved in?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:00 pm
dupre
If there were WMD's I am reasonably sure that Saddam would have used them. The fact that he did not can only lead me to the conclusion that they were no longer available. The administration has softened its rhetoric from having WMD's to having a program for or the capability of producing them. I can't quite make up my mind whether Bush and his band of merry men are stupid or outright liars.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:02 pm
au they are not merry men nor are they stupid------
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:34 pm
au1929 wrote:
I think what I have always thought. We have a lying SOB for president with the mentality of a child. He is an embarrassment to this nation and has reduced our creditability to zero.

I don't think I can improve on what au had to say on this -- so I won't even try. Just thought I'd give it second ink here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 01:49 pm
I'm coming around to your way of thinking, AU.

You kind of narrow down the options, don't you, dys?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
Roger, just my prior experience with Lyndon Johnson/Richard Nixon/Robert McNamara et al.
0 Replies