blueberries and peaches

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:52 pm
It's that time of year. I picked up a quart of blueberries and 5lbs of peaches at the farmer's market yesterday. I don't normally make baked fruit desserts, but I've got so much of both of them that I thought I'd surprise Mr B. I'd like to make a fruit crisp/crumble/brown bette/ sort of thing but I don't have any oats and I don't want to make a trip into town just for oats. I have flour, butter, white and brown sugars, nuts, and assorted baking needs but that's it. I have oil but I used the last two eggs for breakfast this morning. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,688 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 02:18 pm
Graham cracker crumbs?

The blueberry season here in PA may be ending. Damn all inevitable deprivations.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
I have graham crackers so, yes, I could make crumbs.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 04:38 pm
Useful nomenclature:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/CobblerHistory.htm
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 04:49 pm
Interesting, noddy.

Quote:
Grunts or Slump - Basically a cobbler, but called Grunt or Slump in New England. Usually cooked on top of the stove. In some parts of New England, it is a steamed pudding with berries.

I spent many years in New England, but I never heard either of these terms used.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 05:20 pm
hmmmm, I have some granola with raisins and almonds. I could pick out the raisins...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 05:58 pm
Here's a crumb topping that doesn't need oatmeal:

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
t tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger (optional but yummy)
1/3 cup butter or margarine

combine all ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle ober fruit and bake at 400 F until fruit is tender and the top is lightly browned (about 40 miniutes.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 06:19 pm
That would work, swimpy, thanks.

I just saw that I'm supposed to let the fruit macerate for hours or overnight. I'll get it 'stewing' and figure out what I'm going to use for the topping. It won't be overnight, but I'll let it rest for a couple hours.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:57 pm
I went with the granola. The first comment I heard was about the raisins <so, pick 'em out> Evil or Very Mad Younger daughter, who has my aversion to cooked fruit and had already eaten half a dozen peaches and half a pint of blueberries, wanted to know why I'd wasted so many blueberries and peaches. Twisted Evil Older daughter was shocked that I'd made a cooked fruit dessert and said, "Wow, Mom! This is delicious!" Very Happy All's well with the world....
0 Replies