Walk In Bathtubs

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:33 am
Mr. Noddy is not in good physical shape. He has trouble climbing in and out of a conventional bathtub. He's seen the television ads for Walk In Bathtubs and is absolutely convinced that a Walk In Bathtub would improve his quality of life.

I'm less enthusiastic. All of that television and magazine advertising is costing a pretty penny. The installers seem to be Regional Company people instead of local contractors--which makes me wonder about repairs if a Walk In Bathtub springs a leak.

Our bathroom is a small room with a wall of storage cabinets. I'm afraid that a Walk In Bathtub would be larger than a conventional tub and mean sacrificing some of this vital storage space.

I'm also sure that a Walk In Bathtub would decrease the resale value of the house.

Does anyone have any information, good or bad, about Walk In Bathtubs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,735 • Replies: 39
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:41 am
No, but I'm interested in the problem and possible solutions.

... a slightly raised shower stall with a built in comfortable bench and hand spray thing?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 11:45 am
I don't know anyone who has installed a walk-in bathtub, but I have seen them in home shows. This article seems to be one of the few that is not hyping a particular tub:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-walk-in-bathtubs.htm

As far as lowering the resale value of the home, if it were me, I would not even consider that issue, although I really could not say whether it would lower the home's value. The important thing IMO is that Mr. N. can get safely in and out of the tub.

Hmmm..............Check this out:

http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=52336
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:16 pm
Osso, Phoenix--

Many thanks.

We own a bathtub bench and the shower head can be unclipped and hand-held. Mr. Noddy can sit on the bench and soak his feet--a diabetic necessity.

I'm thinking that Mr. Noddy wants to make a big festive fuss about Mr. Noddy and part of Festive Fussing is spending a great deal of money.

He would regard a three-day visit by a plumber as wonderful recreation.

I wouldn't.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:18 pm
a hand held spray in a lower, more reachable position? That wouldn't require a major tear out... but "new equipment"..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:25 pm
Osso--

The shower head is on a long hose and Mr. Noddy can lather up and then rinse himself stem to stern.

Obviously I'm hoping to find evidence that a Walk In Bathtub is an over-hyped aid for the elderly.

If we're into Home Improvement there are many more pressing small problems than a Walk In Bathtub.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:32 pm
Noddy- Is it simply that it would be more convenient for him, or is Mr. N. having difficulty getting in and out of the tub? How is his walking and balance? There are handles that you can attach to the top of the tub that will give him a bit more security as he gets in and out.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3775271&page=3

Mr. P. has an elderly friend. He just recently mentioned that the friend had told him that he was having difficulty lifting himself out of the tub, and had installed a grab bar for security. Is that an issue with Mr. N. ?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm
I had a grab installed recently. The shortest one would only fit if it were on about a 45degree angle. Turns out, that works really well. I also have a bathtub bench, but only used it to get past the side of the tube to use the shower. Oh, and to wash and rinse the feet. This was after I was able to stand unaided.

I can't imagine installing a walk in tube without actually seeing one in service. The idea sounds fine, but I worry about the execution. It might take considerable force to close it tight enough to get a good seal.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:43 pm
They have smaller ones that also function as a shower.

http://www.premier-bathrooms.com/easybathe_bathtub.php
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:44 pm
http://www.wasauna.com/handicap-bathroom.html

this has some other ideas...

Well, the bathroom outside at the end was pretty cool.

The thing that bothered me when I was reading about the walk-in tub ...you're just sitting there waiting for the water to fill and then to drain. I dunno...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:02 pm
http://www.adaptiveaccess.com/home_changes.php

This has some good ideas. Virtually every health club has a walk-in shower (s). Perhaps you could ask them for their advice. Cool
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:23 pm
How about a jacuzzi on the back patio? One with steps.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:26 pm
A large number a statistics show that elderly people take their falls during or after bathing due to wet slippery floors. After such falls they never fully recover. An alternative would be to put one of the handicapped bars to hold on to as you take that one fateful step when one foot is raised high over the bathtub wall and the other it balancing you on wet porcelain.

Broken hips, broken ribs, medical bills, heartache.

The bathroom is a very dangerous place for the aging or otherwise and alot of time nobody knows they are hurt because they are in their for privacy with the door locked.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:32 pm
Phoenix--

A Walk In Tub would be more convenient, more glamorous. When Mr. Noddy has to get gussied up for a social occasion or a doctor's appointment, Mr. Noddy can manage the bathtub. Every time he brags that getting in and getting out really wasn't a problem.

In between State Occasions he sponges himself off--unless I complain very firmly about body odor.

Roger--

We have grab bars in the tub. The last time I broke my leg, the Visiting Nurse insisted on grab bars. I've been fussing for another bar--one that would be easy to grab when standing in the tub/shower, but as yet...

Calamity Jane--

I like the looks of those. If we were made of money and possessing infinite floor space....

Caribou--

Your Walk In Tub is much more attractive than Shown On TV.

DrewDad--

The deck is one of those little promised projects that has been pending for the last twenty years.

Thanks all. I'm stockpiling web sites for my Lord & Master's inspection.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:35 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
They have smaller ones that also function as a shower.

http://www.premier-bathrooms.com/easybathe_bathtub.php

My mother is going to be replacing her shower in the near future and I was looking into some of those walk in baths, but this thing is awesome.

Thanks Jane :-D
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:39 pm
Bathroom work can be real expensive.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:39 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Phoenix--

A Walk In Tub would be more convenient, more glamorous. When Mr. Noddy has to get gussied up for a social occasion or a doctor's appointment, Mr. Noddy can manage the bathtub. Every time he brags that getting in and getting out really wasn't a problem.

In between State Occasions he sponges himself off--unless I complain very firmly about body odor.

OK, now I'm thinking a hose and a brush with very stiff bristles....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:44 pm
I seem to remember that it was california code to have grab bars at an angle - perhaps just preferred - but now in cheap developer land, I have miserable f'n plasticware shower-tubs, one with no grab bar, and the other with a tiny part-of-the-tub-structure horizontal bar. Pfffftt.

Noddy, there are a lot of nifty gizmos out there. A tall vertical bar sounds like it could be a good idea.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 01:52 pm
Miller wrote:
Bathroom work can be real expensive.

We like expensive stuff.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 02:17 pm
Miller--

Showers are O-U-T. The present shower set-up is a much fussed for compromise.

Amigo--

You and the Visiting Nurse and anyone else who reads about the Perils of Aging.

Montana--

You could probably take some measurements and add a separate Walk In Tub room for us.
0 Replies