Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 04:49 pm
Were on vacation at our camp in MAine. We have an RV so its more like an apartment than camping. weve brought lots of lamb. Were having some friends over on Sunday and I want to do some racks with a mustardy rosemary crust covering. Any special tips on doing these? Is a grilll too aggressive a cooking method?
Id like the crust crispy but not toobrown and the meat pink. ANy tips would be welcome.
Our vegetable list is kind of meager we have some that we toted up north . The markets around here dont get much other than root crops, so the corn and tomatoes are shipped in and are awful
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,979 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 05:09 pm
Rack of lamb is fine on the grill if you cut them into individual chops and just cook them briefly on each side to sear. My preference is to cook the racks whole in a hot oven. Mix some chopped fresh rosemary and dijon mustard togther, and if possible, crust them with chopped roasted hazelnuts or pecans. Either way, roast at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes. 15 should give you a nice pink, but it depends on the size of the racks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 05:28 pm
We have a mustard mill here in Eastport and they make a bevy of really fine ones. Were partial to a ginger mustard. It isnt ground as finely as a dijon and the processing is different. I think youve convinced me to do them in the oven as its more predictable an outcome. Pecans sounds great as a crust.
Weve got full racks from 3 lambs we also brought butterflied legs , saddle cuts and some cubed meat for stews and curries.
My wife cannot eat lamb until about July mostly because she delivers all the lambs that have birth problems and thats about 50 a year. Lambing season is about March for us, so wedo without for about half a year.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 05:29 pm
The butterflied legs are terrific on the grill, but I am sure you knew that already Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:04 am
SHHIIIT-I cant come up with any pecans or nuts with high oil They have peanuts, but somehow my minds tastebuds dont approve. must it be an oily nut. They do have almonds in bags at the market.
Never really did a butterfly leg on the grille, we always had a "family recipe" with lots of junk in a pan.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:36 am
Hazelnuts would work, and almonds wouldn't be too bad. For the butterflied leg, just put on a marinade or rub, and pop it on the 'cue. Nice...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 12:37 pm
cav-The lamb with the almond crusty mix was out standing.I said I got the instructions froma CAnadian chef (these friends were New Brunswickers)

Thanks for the guidance. If you ever need some advice as to how to crack rocks or dig somethin up , jes ax me . word up.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 12:47 pm
Thanks farmerman, especially in light of my ruining your breakfast with my man-eating flies post Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 02:28 pm
yeh.... screw worms, ......... I gotta go blow lunch ....scuse me
0 Replies