an ideal sat morning brunch

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 08:08 pm
a box of Wheat Thins (Original) crackers, some Camembert cheese along with some Asiago Pressato and a wedge of Jarlsberg from Norway. a packet of Danish ham as well as some Parma ham. A tin of smoked oysters and two fresh picked from the garden sliced tomatoes. A pot of Assam Superb tea.

On sunday i would have two fluffy buttermilk biscuits smothered with pork sausage/cream gravy, two shirred eggs and one plump pork chop with two fresh picked from the garden tomatoes. A french press made pot of Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,492 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 11:52 pm
A spread of a variety of smoked fish--whitefish, sturgeon, salmon. Cream cheese (not the whipped kind), cream cheese with chives, pot cheese. Thinly sliced onions. Fresh thinly sliced tomatoes. Fresh from the oven bagels, bialies, and pumpernickel. Perked coffee, cinnamon babka or Danish.

Never had a porkchop for breakfast, Dys. It's something to consider.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 12:23 am
Cheesecake, lots of cheesecake!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:12 am
RP makes a great Sunday brunch, I'll see if I can persuade him to post.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 04:20 am
The only Sunday Brunch I've ever had was at House of Blues Gospel Brunch and it consists of a huge spread, but I usually have:

a bit of diced/fried seasoned potatoes
grits with salt & butter
few slices of bacon
peeled shrimp w/ sauce
2 buttermilk biscuits (sometimes w/ sausage gravy)
orange cranberry juice (my own mix)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:03 am
A good aged Asiago (not that Wisconsin ****) is my favorite cheese. However all my brekfasts atr the ame lately, rolled oats covered in boilig wter, then spooned with cinnamon and vanilla dots , artificial sweetener and skim milki.

When youre fixing an ailing heart brekfast is the first thing to go.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 05:23 am
farmerman wrote:
When youre fixing an ailing heart brekfast is the first thing to go.

I've had this complaint from my dad
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:04 am
Re: an ideal sat morning brunch
dyslexia wrote:
a box of Wheat Thins (Original) crackers, some Camembert cheese along with some Asiago Pressato and a wedge of Jarlsberg from Norway.

You're a cheese eater? You of all people? Shame on you!

My favorite Saturday morning treat is a bowl of Munich Weißwürste. (The literal translation is white sausages; I don't think there's an official translation.) Consistent with Bavarian tradition, I eat them with sweet mustard and a pretzel. I usually have Cappucino with that, even though I'm blaspheming against tradition by doing so. I hope Calamity Jane will never read this post and find out. Bavarian tradition commands that you have Bavarian wheat beer with your Weißwurst. The two do taste good together, but they make me too sleepy in the morning. Hence the capuccino.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:16 am
My ideal brunch would be a cold fruit plate, an omelette with every imaginable good vegetable and lots of cheese in it.... a mountain of seasoned fried potatoes smothered in onions and enough salt to stop even Dick Cheney's heart and a cold bottle of Washington State Reisling.

and coffee first. with chocolate shavings in it.

then monkey sex and a nap.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:17 am
Those Bavarians are funny, but since they are (nearly) Italians .... who cares?

(Weisswurst: the sausages aren't not allowed to hear the church bells' noon chime by some law, if I remember correctly. But they do taste good ... with sweet mustard.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:24 am
Montana wrote:
Cheesecake, lots of cheesecake!

Thanks for pointing that out...I just love cheese cake.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:28 am
One well down steak, big dish of fresh Fench(!) fries, side order of cole slaw, giant dish of potato salad, 2 fresh whole wheat bagels,
2 bottles Canadian Gold Molson ( ice cold ).

Then...blue berry pie with scoop of butter pecan ice cream...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:30 am
Roberta wrote:
A spread of a variety of smoked fish--whitefish, sturgeon, salmon. Cream cheese (not the whipped kind), cream cheese with chives, pot cheese. Thinly sliced onions. Fresh thinly sliced tomatoes. Fresh from the oven bagels, bialies, and pumpernickel. Perked coffee, cinnamon babka or Danish.

Picturing the table with everything on it. Left something out. Herring in cream sauce. Actually this was a late Saturday night feast that would be carried over to Sunday brunch. The bagels might have to be toasted for the brunch.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:42 am
I'd also like a small dish of chopped chicken liver plus some Ritz crackers. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:29 am
There is something to be said for being young, rising just before noon and eating cold pizza.

I was young in the pre-microwave days.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:37 am
Noddy24 wrote:
There is something to be said for being young, rising just before noon and eating cold pizza.

I was young in the pre-microwave days.

Left over cold Cheese and onion pizza with "hair of the dog" has saved my life more than once. I'm sure of that.

But not for many years now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 08:47 am
Since such is so far impossible to find in this enchanted land, I'd prefer lox from the pacific northwest and cream cheese (not low-fat) on a good (real old time) toasted water bagel, with or without some thin sliced small sweet red onion (there's a variety new to me in New Mexico) and a few capers; all that with a good fresh pot of coffee, and a side table with the Sunday New York Times and the Los Angeles Times.

For here in New Mexico, I'm going to have to learn to make biscuits and gravy like they do at Calico Cafe... sort of a pillow of deliciousness.
nuthin' else, just the biscuits and gravy and plenty of coffee.

I suppose I should try oatmeal again. I've previously found it, even the good steel cut oats kind, too slimey to tolerate. I do like some obscure brands of roasted wheat cereal, with a little milk and a dollop of good jam..

or grits with cheese, butter, a squidge of chili flakes. But that's getting back into fat city..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:25 am
As far as a big spread, I can envision: good champagne in an ice bucket...
a selection of primo fresh fruit, selection of good breads to toast, with various spreads for the bread; enough bacon (there is never enough bacon, ever, in life), eggs to order, roasted potatoes w/roasted veggies, fresh squeezed orange juice; good coffee.

on smoked fish, I love 'em, but prefer them with a smokey scotch and good crackers later in the day.

Forget all that, pass the bagels......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:49 am
Look familiar?

~~~

Smoked fish--whitefish, sturgeon, winnipeg golden eye.

The pickled herring they had at Cav's seudat havra'a.

Mendel's fresh cream cheese from Kensington Market, Western brand cream cheese with chives.

Sliced onions and tomatoes.

Fresh bagels, and onion bialys.

A scant handful of good shoestring potatoes.

Fresh black pepper and https://store.edible-britishcolumbia.com/catalog/images/MC%20-%20SaltKalamata.jpg for the potatoes and tomatoes.

Hot tea.

Fresh apple turnovers with real whipped cream in a bowl on the side.

Peaches.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 09:52 am
If it's a very cold winter Sunday, I want a bowl of venison ragout with dumplings on that table as well.
0 Replies