I'm going to Disney World

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:49 pm
And I'll be needing a stiff drink when I get back.

The kids are 5 and 7 and we've decided they are at the right ages and that we should take advantage of our trip to Florida to visit Granddad to go to Disney World. So we're leaving here at 7:30 tomorrow morning and heading for the Magic Kingdom. I fully expect to be overwhelmed by expensive souvenirs, long lines, and $40 hot dogs. Wish me luck.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,015 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:49 pm
My condolences.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:07 pm
Egads!
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:25 pm
Been there, done that.
Just remember: what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Very Happy

Have a great time!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:26 pm
And, it's probably too late to make reservations at any decent restaurants in lalaland.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:27 pm
By the way - nice color coordination, HappyCat!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:24 pm
Oh, it can't be too bad, unless you're like me and get the teacup ride song stuck in your head for months.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 04:03 am
DIZZ KNEE LAND wrote:
I just ran away from home
Now I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I just crashed my car again
I just robbed a grocery store
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land
I just flipped off President George

I just tossed a fifth of gin (cue shot glass)
I just got cuffed again
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, yeah
Shot my gun into the night
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, oh
I just saw a good man die
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, come on

I'm going to Dizz Knee Land (Hey... What?)

Kicked my *** out of school
Rolled me out into the streets
Hitched a ride on a monkey's back
Headed west into the black

I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, yeah, yeah
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, oooh
I'm going to Dizz Knee Land, yeah, yeah, yeah
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
martybarker wrote:
Oh, it can't be too bad, unless you're like me and get the teacup ride song stuck in your head for months.

Or this one...

It's a small world, after all.
It's a small, small world

All together now!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:29 am
Have a nice time, FreeDuck. I will miss you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:32 am
I've never been. Sozlet's never been. Sozlet wants to go. I've been unilaterally opposed but boomer's and DrewDad's accounts of taking their kids there has shifted my position a little. Interested in hearing your take when you get back...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:33 am
I love Disneyland!

We were there last year and things (food, souviners) were not nearly as expensive as I imagined they would be. I haven't been to Disneyworld in ages and ages but I'll bet it isn't as pricey as you think -- except for admission which is outrageous!

Make sure you get one of those speed passes (or whatever they call them) so you can get "appointments" for the popular rides. That will keep you from waiting in line all day.

Have fun!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 08:34 am
Make sure that you wear very comfortable shoes. There is a LOT if walking at Magic Kingdom. I am wondering. One of the things that you see at Disney are kids who are too old normally for strollers being wheeled around in those things. (Ditto people normally too young for wheelchairs). Do you think that the five year old can walk around all day, without starting to whine? If not, you can rent a stroller.

Maybe one day you can stash the kids with grandpa, and take yourself to Epcot. Now THAT'S a place I can go to again and again. And whenever you go to Disney, don't forget the camera. The place is a photo lover's heaven!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
Well, it was hot as blazes ( to be expected ) but like boomer said, the trinkets were not as expensive as I'd imagined. We stopped at Publix on the way and picked up sandwiches and chicken strips and brought it in for our lunch. That turned out to be lucky because people were freaking out everywhere when the restaurants didn't open on time. We gave the kids each $20 for souvenirs and told them that was it. That worked out well because then they didn't ask us for everything they laid eyes on.

We managed to avoid standing in long lines -- mostly just out of stubbornness but also by taking advantage of the fast pass system, which is essentially an appointment system. The Haunted Mansion was closed and that was a major bummer as I remember that ride fondly from childhood. We went to the most popular rides right when we got there (9:30) so the lines were still short. We got through it, the kids were very good and had a great time. If I were planning a trip I think I would do it during the fall, but this was more of a while-we're-here thing. And considering the bad timing I think it went very well. But I did still need that stiff drink when we got back.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:39 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Make sure that you wear very comfortable shoes. There is a LOT if walking at Magic Kingdom. I am wondering. One of the things that you see at Disney are kids who are too old normally for strollers being wheeled around in those things. (Ditto people normally too young for wheelchairs). Do you think that the five year old can walk around all day, without starting to whine? If not, you can rent a stroller.

Maybe one day you can stash the kids with grandpa, and take yourself to Epcot. Now THAT'S a place I can go to again and again. And whenever you go to Disney, don't forget the camera. The place is a photo lover's heaven!

I missed this. Yes, the 5 year old walked the whole time with the exception of one or two shoulder rides on dad. I am so glad we didn't take them when they were any younger as I can't imagine the added stress of having to push a stroller around and find stroller parking and diaper bags and changing and nap time and all of that. There were quite a few people with much smaller children and I was very glad that I was not them. The only thing I worried about was the kids getting separated from us. I did once give a man a good push when he crossed in between me and my daughter and then stood there, keeping me from reaching her (I was blocked on the other two sides). But mostly they were extremely good about staying with us and watching to make sure they didn't get separated from us.

I think if we ever go back we will make plans to go to Epcot and Universal, which I've been to as a young adult and enjoyed. That was a good suggestion.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:25 am
Epcot is my absolutely favorite and would probably go there every weekend if I didn't have my wits about me.
0 Replies