Senators and Congressmen - Retirement Packages

husker

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:37 pm
Did you hear on the news this AM that the Senate voted themselves another pay raise? I believe I heard that their salaries are now $155,000+/year. I just got an interesting e-mail from a good friend. Read on………

This must be a campaign issue in 2004. Keep it going. SOCIAL SECURITY: This is worth the read. It's short and to the point.)

Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years. Our Senators and Congressmen do not pay into Social Security. Many years ago they voted in their own benefit plan. In more recent years, no congressperson has felt the need to change it.

For all practical purposes their plan works like this: When they retire, they continue to draw the same pay until they die, except it may increase from time to time for cost of living adjustments. For example, former Senator Byrd and Congressman White and their wives may expect to draw $7,800,000 (that's Seven Million, Eight Hundred Thousand), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the last years of their lives. This is calculated on an average life span for each.

Their cost for this excellent plan is $00.00. This little perk they voted for themselves is free to them. You and I pick up the tab for this plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the General Fund--our tax dollars at work! From our own Social Security Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into --every payday until we retire (which amount is matched by our employer) --we can expect to get an average $1,000 per month after retirement.

Or, in other words, we would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly benefits for 68 years and one month to equal Senator Bill Bradley's benefits! Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made. And that change would be to jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security plan with the rest of us and then watch how fast they would fix it.

If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of awareness will be planted and maybe good changes will evolve.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,543 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:56 pm
This "Note" has been circulated around the Internet for several years now and it's well documented on Snopes. There is very little in this passage that is truthful.

Congressional Retirement is NOT "free" to Congressional reps - they DO pay into the program - and they also pay Social Security and have since 1984.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/pensions.htm

That's not to say that they don't have a decent retirement plan but it isn't quite the plum it's made out to be.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:02 pm
thanks fishn' - I just sent that to the sender that sent it to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 02:33 pm
One thing consistent about our congress. They do take care of themselves very well. As the representatives of the people, their salaries and benefits outstrip 95 percent of American's salaries and benefits. Should we call this "conflict of interest?" It probably won't do any good. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 03:06 pm
Could we try, anyway?
0 Replies

utep 84

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:10 am
Congressmen are civil SERVANTS. Therefore, they are in service occupations and should be paid a NOMINAL wage with NOMINAL BENEFITS. If they are truly interested in service to their county and to their constituents, then a salary such as a person in the military receives should be sufficient. Of course, if they are around for a while then their grade could be likened to that of military rank. This would certainly add money to the national coffers and true national servants should be willing to do so in the name of reducing the debt. Oh, well, I can dream, can't I?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 12:27 pm
I think they should serve for 1 cent a year. If they cant make it on their graft (political contributions) than they shouldent be serving. No sarcasm intended. It will not make any difference in the honesty of government but will help the conservatives reduce the cost of government. Sarcasm intended.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 01:56 pm
I'm sure most of you have heard the term "conflict of interest." Unfortunately, congress determines their own pay and benefits, and they forget about the taxpayers once in office. They take graft and contributions to get reelected, and "we" continue to vote them back in.

It's not their fault; it's our's.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 03:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Its name recognizetion. The citizens dont bother to find out how their representatives vote against them. They vote for a name. Government seems to be a family business.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 04:22 pm
@RABEL222,
Don't you think our congressmen are sufficiently elite, already? It would take someone with huge resources to live for two or six years without income. They would also have to be among the idle rich to leave a profession or business for that length of time. Sure this is what you want?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 04:40 pm
@RABEL222,
It certainly is; look at Jeb Bush. He doesn't have a prayer, but his family is "rich" enough to throw his hat in the ring.

We poor folks enjoy watching these rich folks throw their money away on elections. I wonder how much Romney spent of his own money?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:10 pm
@roger,
Look at CI's post. The majority of politicians are millionares are their families are and can buy them the chance to run. So yes, I am sure thats what I want.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:21 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm sure they're not all millionaires, but elections are expensive no matter at what level of government. Besides that, they have to be nuts to want to be a politician when their approval rating is below 20%.

Power corrupts because they handle so much money when they run for office and after they're elected. They spend billions like most of us spend nickles and dimes.
0 Replies