The Rothko Seagram Murals, Simon Schama's Power of Art

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:15 pm
Haven't been able to find good repro's of the Rothko Chapel black paintings but they fall into the category from Rothko's statement "he wanted to paint infinity." Here's a link:

http://www.menil.org/rothko2.html
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:16 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
but our generation is so dull. i don't like us.
Not the people I hang out with. To hell with the rest.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:17 pm
I guess he was alive when the Chapel was built. From the chapel's website:

The Rothko Chapel was the last and one of the most important endeavors that Dominique and John de Menil worked on together. This modern work of religious art commissioned for Houston is comparable in importance to the Chapel of the Rosary in Vence by Henri Matisse or the Chapel in Ronchamp by Le Corbusier in France.
Mark Rothko, one of the most influential American artists of the mid-century was commissioned by the de Menils and given the opportunity to shape and control a total environment to encompass a group of fourteen paintings he especially created for this meditative space. He worked closely with the original architect Philip Johnson on the plans, then with Howard Barnstone and Eugene Aubry who completed the building.

The Rothko Chapel and Barnett Newman's sculpture: "The Broken Obelisk" facing the Chapel and dedicated to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., have achieved world recognition as examples of the greatest artistic achievements of the second half of the twentieth century.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:17 pm
Aha, not very large but here's a virtual tour of the interior of the Rothko chapel:

http://rothkochapel.org/virtual-interior.htm

The lighting is terrible and washes out the subtlety of the black paintings.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:24 pm
I see something in those works. But I also think I see him struggling with a kind of boundry of paint and canvas.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 01:33 pm
I would imagine that if you were standing in the center of the chapel surrounded by these paintings it would feel something like floating in infinite space. You think Kubrick might have based his monolith in "2001" on these paintings? Of course, Rothko's closest artist friend Ad Reinhardt did his own black paintings:

http://siteimages.guggenheim.org/gpc_work_large_108.jpg

Ad Reinhardt, Abstract Painting, 1960- 1966. Oil on canvas, 60 x 60 inches. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, By exchange, 1993. 93.4239. © 2005 Estate of Ad Reinhardt/Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:51 pm
How the hell did we get to the point where we are contemplating a black screen at different sides of the country. Laughing

It's a friggin black screen!!!!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
It's not! there's a cross inside!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 02:56 pm
I SEE IT! and the middle square is the darkest ,right.

GENIUS!!!

I change my mind I like it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:11 pm
I saw that Reinhardt painting at the Ahmanson Building in the L A County Museum complex in the late Sixties or Early Seventies. It kind of too my breath away -- the cross seemed to pulsate out of the surface of the canvas and then fade back to beneath the surface. His white paintings are nearly as good.

If Rothko had lived, he was definitely headed towards his own minimalism with the Seagrams Murals and then the Rothco Chapel paintings.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:11 pm
Ad Reinhartd there was a guy I didnt get at all. One of my old teahers was an artist named Bill Baziotes, a minor colorist. Baz was always critiquing what had just passed as art, yet his work was also not high in draftsmanship.

PS Lwiz, Ive consigned my "Radiant Baby' painting along with a work by Susan Mcdowell Eakins. We are away more than not and dont want any paintings stolen, so selling em makes more sense.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:35 pm
I don't know that Sothebys or Christies isn't better than consignment, but if you've had good experience with the dealer, go for it. There's also RoGallery in Long Island, Robert Rogel. www.rogallery.com

Where your friend doesn't get it is that work like Reinhardt and Rothko can only be done in the time and place of art history when the genre prevailed. If you tried to paint in that technique and style, you'd just be a copyist. They are artists who don't understand that if they attempted any of this imagery, they would probably fail miserably.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:50 pm
Shock of the new
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:11 pm
It's the shock of the price! This Rothko sold recently for over $ 11M. Rothko gave up $ 2.5 M (today's value, it was actually $ 135,000.00 before he donated them to the Tate) denying Seagram the murals for The Four Seasons:

http://www.thecityreview.com/f99scont3.gif

Painters like Rothko are now the classic beginnings of abstract art. Whether or not anyone can surpass him is doubtful.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:04 am
now i don't feel so bad for spending $15 on a poster.
0 Replies