Best place to live?

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:45 am
I was wondering if anyone could help me out finding a place to move to.

Im looking for a place that has low occurences of natural disasters, not close to nuclear test sites etc, has a clean environment, and has nice people.

I was thinking canada or australia, i dont have any prejudices and im open minded so it can be anywhere.(but i dont know alot about those places) inside the us. england, anything as long as it isnt in a warzone or on a fault line or in the lineup for the next hurricane if you know what i mean.

Im open to any and all suggestions on best place to live, any help is appreciated Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,250 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:57 am
Your list may be cut down according to what nationality you are, what qualifications, savings and criminal record you have.

Many countries now are very picky about who they let in. However, if you're a budding terrorist who knows his way round the benefit system, I'm sure you could get a British passport easily enough.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:46 am
Re: Best place to live?
OGIONIK wrote:
Im looking for a place that has low occurences of natural disasters, not close to nuclear test sites etc, has a clean environment, and has nice people.

I was thinking canada or australia...

Your question is pretty vague. You are aware that there are areas of both Canada and Australia that aren't quite so "clean" right? They also both suffer natural disasters.

The question itself is better limited to something along the lines of a city level search than an entire country.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 09:13 am
Delaware.

Most exciting place on earth.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:16 am
alone
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
Are you looking to move somewhere on a visa, or are you going to apply for citizenship where you decide to move?

If you're thinking about moving to Canada, I can tell you that it would be very difficult to get citizenship.
I know people who were born here, went to the US when they were younger, gave up their Canadian citizenship to become US citizens and now that they're retired and want to come back, they are denied.

I also know someone who's been here 3 years, been trying to get his citizenship for all this time, spent thousands so far trying to get it, but hasn't had much luck so far.

Also, if you have a criminal record, I'd forget Canada. My ex couldn't even come to Canada to see our son because he had a criminal record. He was taken inside at the Canadian border and told he couldn't enter the country because of his criminal record and he would be arrested on the spot, should he try to cross again.
They're very strict on that, especially if the record has violent crimes.

There are natural disasters that happen everywhere I think, but my area doesn't have much threats where that is concerned.

Best of luck to ya :-D
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:12 pm
Montana wrote:

Also, if you have a criminal record, I'd forget Canada. My ex couldn't even come to Canada to see our son because he had a criminal record. He was taken inside at the Canadian border and told he couldn't enter the country because of his criminal record and he would be arrested on the spot, should he try to cross again.
They're very strict on that, especially if the record has violent crimes.

Best of luck to ya :-D

Hi Montana! Very Happy

Ya know ....Canada sounds like a good place to live, actually!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:15 pm
Hey there Brooke :-D

You're right, it's not bad at all ;-)

Well, other than my nosy neighbours/others, which I learned that you can't avoid when you live in a small town, but I think that applies everywhere.

I'm cozy enough and my sunflower fence is growing nicely :-D

Always great to see you Brooke :-D
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:36 am
IM GOING MORE FOR AN ALL AROUND BEST PLACE TO LIVE, ACCORDING TO THE UN NORWAY IS TOP, THEN ICELAND THEN AUSTRALIA

I LIKE AUSTRALIA I THINK ILL GO THERE.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:49 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Delaware.

Most exciting place on earth.

No way!

The most exciting place on earth is
French Lick, Indiana.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 04:53 am
I've heard that East St. Louis, Illinois can be exciting.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 09:15 am
If you go to Iceland, you have to change your name to an Icelandic one. No lie. They're way more strict than Canada about who they let in, too. And you have to be able to drink their horrible liquour and eat buried shark (or whatever it is). shudder.

P.S. If you're a gun-toter, please stay out of my country.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
They let everyone in FrenchLick, Indiana. They need the money. Cool
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:51 am
after living in eastern ontario for 50 years , we now think that it suits us just fine .
warm in the summer , but not excessively hot .
cold in the winter , but bearable .
many small cities with good medical facilities .
close enough to larger centers , such as toronto , ottawa - that can be reached on a daytrip , NY city only a day-drive away , myrtle beach can be reached in two days .
good long distance transportation - if you don't want to drive - by rail (VIA rail) and bus service , from our place even air-service to toronto .
good educational facilties such as universities and colleges .
the only major disaster in 50 years was the big ice-storm in the 90's when power was gone for several days - apparently an updated hydro grid should prevent a re-occurence .
most of the cities have good entertainment facilities - we are off to the 1000 island playhouse later to see "stones in his pockets" and have dinner in a restaurant overlooking the st. lawrence - not too shabby !
of course , it always helps if you have a little spare cash .
housing still relatively inexpensive - a $250,000 house would cost you at least $500,000 on toronto - and there are still plenty of houses for less than $200,000 if one lives 30-40 minutes outside a city .
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 03:50 am
The best part of the USA for a young family to live is the MidWest.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
Mame wrote:
If you go to Iceland, you have to change your name to an Icelandic one. No lie. They're way more strict than Canada about who they let in, too. And you have to be able to drink their horrible liquour and eat buried shark (or whatever it is). shudder.

DOES THAT MEAN POLICE AND MILITARY GUN TOTERS AS WELL?
just asking.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
Miller wrote:
Rolling Eyes

I grew up in a neighboring town. Very scary place!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:02 am
OGIONIK wrote:
Mame wrote:

DOES THAT MEAN POLICE AND MILITARY GUN TOTERS AS WELL?
just asking.

Obviously not!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 04:05 pm
martybarker wrote:
Miller wrote:
Rolling Eyes

I grew up in a neighboring town. Very scary place!

I heard that too.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 05:16 pm
That's why I moved to the beautiful NW
0 Replies