Replacement Nylon Drive Sprocket

CDobyns

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:38 pm
As I get older, I begin to both appreciate and regret the childhood experience of growing up with my dad and my almost continuous exposure to his "engineering" way of thinking. Now here many years ago, when something "breaks", I just can't resist the temptation to take it apart and see if I can make the repair myself.

The repair project for this weekend will require a special replacement part. Our home office shredder suffered a small failure, where one of the nylon drive sprocket has become "stripped" and will no longer transfer torque to the other drive sprockets and ultimately to the shredder assembly.

I've got the dimensions of the sprocket, but I concede that I'm totally lost in terms of where to start looking for a replacement. Is there a www.sprocketsareus.com website? Well, any suggestions on where to look would be helpful. The only unwelcome suggestions are the ones that the "non-engineers" are usually quick to offer, like ". . . oh, just throw it away and buy a new one". Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:24 am
Before internet days, I would have searched out The Boston Gear Catalog. You might even have some luck with W.W. Grainger. Both probably have an online presense. Don't even think of having such a thing fabricated by a machine shop. The cost would be worth several shredders.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:01 am
Look at the make of your shredder and find the company homepage, as they may have spare parts listed somewhere.
Other than that, just google the model name and ident, add the word sprocket and see what comes up.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:14 am
So.... I googled "NYLON SPROCKET" and found several companies.
0 Replies

CDobyns

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
Good information. I'll test some of these suggestions a little later today. Upon greater thought (and given my engineering upbringing, but lack of engineering education), I think I'm actually looking for a nylon, hard plastic or even steel (or other metal) drive gear, not a sprocket. A sprocket is a wheel with teeth that is used (typically) to mesh with a chain or chain drive.

Well, now I know what to call what I'm looking for, now I just need to find it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
I doubt the manufacturer will sell the parts, though. Much easier to sell a new shredder.
0 Replies