"I'm Spending My Childrens' Inheritance!"

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:50 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I have a will and Mame is in it. Look for thirty thousand dollars to be coming your way sometime in the next seventy years, young lady.

Sure, you're just saying that cuz I haven't filled mine out yet,.. uh huh.. I can see through you like a window...
0 Replies

Jen from Silver River

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:37 am
Spending your inheritance
I am keen to talk to people who are annoyed they think their parents are spending their in heritance. I'm developing a television documentary about it and researching the area at the moment. Anyone willing to chat?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 07:43 am
Re: "I'm Spending My Childrens' Inheritance!"
Phoenix32890 wrote:

What are your thoughts? Is it a parent's obligation to provide an inheritance for his heirs? Does the financial situation of the children make any difference?[/color][/b]

Inheritance, NO! Education, YES!

Don't leave an inheritance, just make sure they're well educated and know how to take care of themselves.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 05:16 am
Gee, you sound really caring....................., even for a spammer! Evil or Very Mad
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:05 am
@Phoenix32890,
It looks like the hamsters have deep sixed the spammer. For those who did not see the post, my reply would seem confusing, and I can't delete it.
0 Replies

shindig

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 12:42 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I would follow the lead of Chuck Feeney. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OMcjxe8slYI

If my kids were young and I died now, I'd not give it all to them when they turn 18, probably split it up into 3 intervals over a few decades.

I inherited some money when I was young and dumb. I did some good stuff with it but overall it just delayed having to "earn a buck", and having not had to support myself on my own prior to the money I didn't value it the same as I would have 5 years later. After having to work for someone else and find out what being an adult is all about. I was a landlord at 18, still have one of them.

But actually having to work for something put me into a much better path to a much better life I wouldn't have pursued otherwise.
0 Replies

Annette1113

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:52 am
@Phoenix32890,
If you have made the money to retirement....and your children are adults and doing fine...then go for it. Working since I was 13 years old and finally at 63 getting to retire in a couple of years,,,,you betcha that I have done for my children and now it is our turn. We built it from the ground up not our kids or anyone else! So I have thought about that bumper sticker on the back of my new motorhome and yep....I built it, I made it, and I am spending it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:22 am
@Phoenix32890,

Quote:
If you start out with nothing at age 25, and put in 20 bucks a week in an interest bearing account that compounded the interest at 5%, when you retired at 65, you would have $132,636.32, less taxes.

Boy, have times changed. I just happened on this old post of mine, and realized that things are so different now.

In light of the changed circumstances, what are the younger members of this forum doing to ensure a comfortable retirement?
0 Replies