No Windows Disk, No Printer Connection?

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:53 am
(This is like a mystery you happen across while flipping channels and simply must see how it turns out. I hope you get this all figured out soon, Roberta.)

Btw you can't download anything from Google, you can just use Google to find things you can download. So I suspect your friend is referring to what Monger already found for you.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:42 am
Soz, He said I could download autocad, which isn't what Monger had me download. I downloaded the driver. But I can't install it without autocad. Just think, two days ago I had no idea what these things meant. I still don't know for sure, but I'm using them in sentences.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:43 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 10:33 pm
Roberta wrote:
I just heard from the guy who gave me the computer. He said I should be able to dowload an autocad from google?! He also said that he has the Windows disk and that he could reinstall the whole thing. I asked him why I can't just use the setup disk to install the printer.

I'm waiting for his response.

Good. Get that CD from him or ask him to install the driver for you off of it.

I've never worked with AutoCAD or any CAD program. It's design software.

I don't know why HP lists that stupid AutoCAD driver as the only LaserJet 4m plus download available for Win98!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 05:05 am
Monger, First things first. GET YOUR HEAD OUTTA THE ELEPHANT'S MOUTH!!!

I'm waiting to hear from the guy with the disk. I'll keep you posted.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:36 am
OK Roberta, first of all this is the weirdest driver situation I've ever seen.

For some bizarre reason HP does not offer 4M Plus drivers for Windows 9x (I've verified this with an HP tech), even though they have links to download that printer's driver for Windows NT/2000/XP and even DOS and Windows 3.x!! Evil bastards, they be. I've also searched other driver sites & it is simply not available. I even found a number of people posting questions on other forums with this same problem.

Yet it's on every Windows setup CD!

At any rate, I did complicate this by linking to the LaserJet 4M Plus AutoCAD download for Win98. I only realized after trying to install it myself that it actually isn't a driver at all (so it wouldn't work even if you installed AutoCAD), it was simply listed as the only HP 4M plus software download for Win98 alongside all the the proper drivers for other versions of Windows.

SO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET AHOLD OF THAT WINDOWS CD! Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 10:13 am
Monger, Glad to see you got your head out of the elephant.

I'll contact my friend and tell him what you told me. There's a very good chance that he'll understand what you said a bit better than I did.

Mooches grassy ass.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
Final Chapter--The guy who gave me the computer gave me another printer. He downloaded what he needed from the Internet. I'm no longer printerless, but I'm not happy. My printer (sitting idle) is old but very good--fast and quiet. The new one is slow and makes noises like it has consumption or some other disease.

However, I'm happy to be printing. And I'll eventually get another printer.

Monger, thanks for all your help and advice. As for the hotdogs, forget Nathan's. We'll go to the Papaya King on 86th and Third. It's practically a landmark--and it has the best hotdogs in town.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:05 am
My lucky day! Very Happy Sounds good...
0 Replies