No Windows Disk, No Printer Connection?

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 12:29 am
Someone recently gave me a computer with Windows 98 and a bunch of other stuff already installed. Believe me, it's a major upgrade from what I had before.

When I tried to link the printer to the computer, I got a screen message that said that I need the Windows disk. The person who gave me the computer said I can somehow install the printer with the printer disk. The printer was also given to me, and I don't have a disk for that either. In fact, I don't have a disk for anything.

I'm desperate to get the printer up and running. I need to print stuff. Is there any way I can do this without the Windows disk or any other disk?

If I have to buy a Windows disk, about how much will it set me back?

I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,543 • Replies: 48
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
I'd try eBay if I were you, for not only the Windows disc but also the printer disc.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:26 am
So, Jes, you're telling me that I have to have both??
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:31 am
You may not need to buy anything. Go to the printer manufacturer's WWW site and download the drivers for your printer there. Most of them have a stand alone app that you download and run and it will install them.

If you need help there list you printer make/model and I'll see what I can find.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:35 am
Fishin', I think this is what the person who gave me the computer told me to do. Only I didn't understand what he said. I understand what you said--I think. I'll give it a try. If I have a problem (and I'm betting I will), I'll be back.

Thanks mucho.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:39 am
What fishin' said, and hopefully it'll all work. But in any event, you should have a Windows disc even if it turns out you don't need it for the printer.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:41 am
No Windowsdisk
If you have "a bunch of other stuff installed" you may need disks and/or drivers. I have some older disks; depending on what software you have on the computer they might be useful - Norton Firewall 2002 and Norton SystemWorks 2002 are among them. Let me know if you would like either of them. Also let me know what other disks you might need - maybe I have something.

I know that it's quicker to download a driver than to wait for a CD to come in the mail, but I always like to have the CD on hand, in case of problems.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:42 am
No Windows disk
P.S. I also have the printed manuals to go with the Nortons and perhaps some others. Let me know if I can help.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:51 am
Tom, Thanks so much. I'm supposed to talk soon with the guy who gave me the computer. If he has no disks or manuals to give me, I'll let you know.

This is the third computer in a row I've been given and the second in a row to arrive with no disks or printed support. In some ways it's amazing that I have managed to do anything. Maybe ignorance really is bliss.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 11:28 pm
Tomkitten wrote:
I know that it's quicker to download a driver than to wait for a CD to come in the mail, but I always like to have the CD on hand, in case of problems.
Solution to both problems: Download the driver, then copy it to a floppy or CD.

Roberta, try giving what Fishin' said a shot. Just post the model number of the printer here (eg: "HP DeskJet 5550") & someone can track down the driver for you.

For anyone who needs to locate device drivers in the future, here're the 4 quickest ways:
  1. Just go the manufacturer's website & look for the "support & downloads" page or something similar, then run a search for your device's model number.
  2. Microsoft loads Windows setup CDs with a swath of drivers for all kinds of devices. If you can get your hands on one, telling the hardware installation wizard to search on that CD will frequently do the trick.
  3. If it's hard to track down a driver on the maker's site, there are a number of websites that stockpile as many drivers as they can get their hands on. The best one is www.driverguide.com Log into that site with the user name "drivers" and password "all", then you can run a search for your device & often they'll have it.
  4. Try a search on Google for: download {manufacturer name & model #}
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:04 am
Monger, My printer is a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4 M plus.

Do I know what a driver is? Not entirely. Sorry to be so ignorant.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 06:26 am
Download HP LaserJet 4M Plus drivers for Mac & every version of Windows here.

Roberta, a driver is just a program that links the operating system to a particular device. When a new hardware device such as a printer is added to the computer, its driver must be installed in order to use it. The operating system calls the driver, and the driver "drives" the device.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 09:46 am
Hi Monger, Thanks for the link. I downloaded the driver into a folder in my C drive because the disk drive isn't operational at the moment. Then I tried to reinstall the printer. I got the same message that I need the Windows disk. When there was a place on the screen for a location, I deleted something with Win and typed in the name of the folder. Still got the same message.

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing, but whatever it is, it's wrong.

(I'm trying not to get upset.)
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 11:46 am
No Windows disk
Monger - Would a driver really fit on a floppy? I have some old unused floppies, would they really be big enough for that. I also have an external hard drive for things I want to keep private. I downloaded Quicken to it, and although a little slow in opening, it works like a charm. My computer has a CD drive, of course, but not a burner.

It's really fascinating the various ways to handle problems, and the various work-arounds that people post here! Exclamation
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2003 11:30 pm
TOmkitten wrote:
Monger - Would a driver really fit on a floppy?

Usually, yes. Though often drivers get bundled with other (usually unnecessary) software you can use to fiddle with your device, so sometimes that'll make it too big for a floppy.

Roberta wrote:
I got the same message that I need the Windows disk. When there was a place on the screen for a location, I deleted something with Win and typed in the name of the folder. Still got the same message.

What you're doing is the right way to go for many devices. However, HP (and a good number of others) like to give you programs that install drivers for you, rather than the individual driver files themselves (the Windows hardware installation wizard is only looking for files that end with ".inf").

Run the setup program you downloaded from HP & that should take care of it.

Let me know if you have any trouble with that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:06 am
You're a champ, monger.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:35 am
Thanks roger. Smile I enjoy this kinda stuff.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:35 am
I agree, Roger. Monger is a champ. Now all he has to do is tell me what setup program. I downloaded something. Was it a setup program? Another excrutiatingly basic question--how do I "run" the program?

This is going from upsetting Sad to embarrassing. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 01:13 am
Yeah it's the one you downloaded. Should be called "lj{some number}en.exe". Double-click it to run it (heehee Wink).

If it doesn't work for you I'll need to know what version of Windows you're using to help any further. Oh and make sure all the cables are in properly before you start.

Good luck!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 01:14 am
Not to worry, Roberta. I've had many experiences of downloading great stuff - and nothing happened. I think this one is going to get solved.

Monger is in Japan. What's your excuse for being up this late?
0 Replies