No Windows Disk, No Printer Connection?

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:52 am
Roger, I'm up all night every night. I sleep during the day. Kinda like a vampire, but without the blood.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:19 am
Hi Monger, I have a feeling that I downloaded wrong. The file that was created by the download is lj177. Nothing after the number. When I double-clicked on it to open it, I got what looked like documents. One of the things inside the folder said hpfmplus.inf. That's the only suffix I could find.

I entered the info you gave me ljnumberen.exe. Nothing happened.

I have Windows 98. Is there more info about my version of Windows that I can find somewhere?

BTW, I wasn't sure what you meant by run. I clicked on start and run and tried entering c:lj177en.exe. Computer said it couldn't find it. I'm not sure what you mean by double-click it to run it. When I double-clicked on the folder, it opened. It didn't run.

I'm sorry to be so much trouble. And I'm grateful for your help.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:38 am
No Windows Disk
Monger knows lots more than I do, but I wonder if C:\ rather than CNeutral would work? The computer hasn't the brains to know that you may mean backslash but type a vertical bar???

Hey, we've got as problem here! a2k thinks I mean an emoticon, but what I mean is, specifically, C:vertical bar. Am I making myself clear - to Roberta, if not to the computer?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:05 am
Don't worry about it Roberta. Wink I'm happy to help you with this till you get it going.

Ok, I looked up lj177en.exe on HP's site and that's the driver for Windows 2000, so I assume that's the version of Windows you're working with. I downloaded it myself so I could see what's going on, so here be the inside scoop..

First off, here's a link to download it again: hp LaserJet 4M plus pcl 5e driver for Windows 2000
  • When you run/open/double-click lj177en, it opens a window that says "To unzip all files in lj177en.exe to the specified folder press the Unzip button."
  • From there, just press Unzip without changing anything. That will create a folder at "C:\lj177".
  • The folder it creates includes, among other files, "hp4mplus.inf". That is the file the add printer wizard needs to find.
  • Click Start->Settings->Printers.
  • Double-click "Add Printer".
  • Go through the add printer wizard that opens up, until you get to the screen where it asks you where it should look for the driver.
  • Make sure "specify a location" is selected.
  • Wherever it asks you what folder to look in for the printer driver, point it to: C:\lj177
  • Windows is supposed to take care of it from there.
Since I don't have a printer on my home machine I can't actually run through the procedure, so if any problems come up try to explain it with as much detail as possible & with any error messages copied verbatim, but probably that'll take care of it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
Monger, I picked up the wrong driver. I've got windows 98. I'll go back and get the right thing and try again.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:18 am
Oh sorry, I just reread your post & somehow I didn't notice the first time that you're using Windows 98.

That means the file you were trying to use (lj177en.exe) is not the one you need.

Windows 98 uses lj133en.exe

I'll try that one out & let you know how it goes.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:20 am
Ah, we cross posted.

At any rate, it creates a folder called C:\lj133\disk1 where you'll see a file called setup.exe (or just "setup", the one with the picture of the computer). Double-click that file & it should do the trick without running the add new printer wizard.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:27 am
I went back to the HP site and redownloaded. Apparently the driver for Windows 98 and 2000 is the same.

When you run/open/double-click lj177en, it opens a window that says "To unzip all files in lj177en.exe to the specified folder press the Unzip button."

The I clicked on start and run. I entered lj177en, c:lj177en, c:lj177en.exe. I kept getting a message telling me that the file cannot be found.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:28 am
Also, this is popping up in a little window. I don't see how I can double click on this.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:40 am
Roberta, the driver is not the same for Win98 & Win2000!

Download the HP LaserJet AutoCAD 13/14 HP-GL/2 Driver for Windows 98 here.

I wrote:
Ah, we cross posted.

At any rate, it creates a folder called C:\lj133\disk1 where you'll see a file called setup.exe (or just "setup", the one with the picture of the computer). Double-click that file & it should do the trick without running the add new printer wizard.

Do not use Start->Run.
Run the setup.exe file by openning the C:\lj133\disk1 folder in My Computer.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:48 am
My printer is an HP LaserJet4mplus. I checked this several times. The driver is jl177???
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:55 am
No, it isn't. "lj177en.exe" is the LaserJet 4M Plus driver download for Windows 2000.

My last post included a link to the 4M Plus driver for Windows 98 (lj133en.exe).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:21 am
Monger, I did everything you told me. Redownloaded the right files, double clicked on the setup thing. Stuff started happening. Things were opening. I was happy. UNTIL the installation got to something and said it couldn't find the AutoCad path and that I should enter the executable path and/or the configuration path.

So near and yet so far.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 11:33 am
Hi Monger, I don't know what time it is where you are, but where I am it's almost 1:30 p.m. I haven't been to sleep yet, and I'm about to fall off my chair.

You have been more patient that I have a right to expect. I'm eternally in your debt. But I have to go to sleep. I'll look for your response when I wake up.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:26 pm
Does NYC really have the world's best hot dogs? (not sure where I heard this.) Heheh..All I ask is that if by some bizarre chance I ever make it out there youse can pick me up a massive all-beef frank, with everything. Very Happy OK I'm kidding about that, but hey I miss good hot dogs like crazy here! Smile

OK, sorry this is turning into such an ordeal. Hmm...AutoCad is something you probably don't have, but it seems that for your printer HP is only listing a Windows 98 driver made with AutoCad support (this isn't the case with the drivers they list for Windows 2000 and XP). Aarrgh!!

Well, we'll have to scratch HP's support site and try something else.

Unfortunately, I only have a Win2000 machine to work with, so the steps might me a bit different for you, but it should be pretty close. These steps are similar to what you already tried in the past before starting this thread, but hopefully this'll add a bit of a twist to it.
  • Click Start->Settings->Printers.
  • Click Add Printer. This starts the Add Printer Wizard.
  • When it asks if you have a local or network printer, select "local." Make sure "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer" is turned off.
  • When it asks you which port to use, select "LPT1". (If the printer is not connected to the parallel port on your PC, LPT1 will not work for you, though must most likely you are using the parallel port.)
  • On the next screen it asks you to select the printer's manufacturer & model number. On the left side scroll down & select "HP", then on the right side scroll way down & select "HP LaserJet 4M Plus".
With Windows2000, this copies the printer driver from Windows's System32 folder, and does not require a Windows installation CD. If with Windows98 it asks you for a Windows CD at some point, this method will not work for you. In that case you'll either have to call up HP tech support or get your hands on a Windows 98 setup CD, unless someone else manages to track down a non-AutoCAD Win98 driver on the Internet somewhere.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:32 am
Hi Monger, If you're ever in NYC, I would most assuredly treat you to a Nathan's hot dog; they are the best. I was thinking of something a bit higher scale. I was gonna offer to treat you to a dinner someplace nice. But if it's a hot dog you want, it's a hot dog you'll get. BTW, Nathan's is no slouch in the French fries department either. Uh oh. My mouth is beginning to water.

I tried everything you suggested. No dice. I will contact HP support and see what they can do for me. If I were to hunt around for a Windows 98 non auto cad setup disk, where might I begin? E-bay, as Jespah suggested?

Thanks for everything--your help, your patience, your good humor. I appreciate it all.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 05:30 am
Since your printer doesn't have any problems, all you'd need from HP is the correct device driver along with basic instructions on installing it.

Although a Win98 setup disk would be helpful in case Windows ever crashes in the future, I wouldn't recommend buying a copy just to get a free driver off it. Try explaining your situation to any friends with a copy and see if they'll lend it to ya.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:11 am
Monger, I'll see what I can get from HP. Also, am I reading what you said correctly? I need either the device and instructions from HP or the Windows disk? Not both. Right?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 07:18 am
Yup.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 09:19 am
Congratulate me. I've gone from total ignorance to total confusion in a very short time. I'm so proud of myself.

I just heard from the guy who gave me the computer. He said I should be able to dowload an autocad from google?! He also said that he has the Windows disk and that he could reinstall the whole thing. I asked him why I can't just use the setup disk to install the printer.

I'm waiting for his response.

Monger, I honestly think that the time you've put in on this is worth more than a hot dog.

R
0 Replies