age of consent

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 03:56 pm
agrote wrote:
fishin wrote:
You are presuming and awful lot here...

Don't underestimate puberty. Pre-pubescents might experiment with masturbation and be sexual to somne extent, and obviously they have genetalia. But they're not properly equipped for sex are they. Prepubescent boys don't get erections too often. And also, for biological reasons, I don't think children of those ages tend to get too horny either. Puberty brings sexual maturity.

Indeed. Puberty does bring sexual maturity. Now go back and look at your posts in this thread. You've ceased making laogical arguments and started jumping from one thing to the next to cling to in hopes of some sort of approval/acceptance.

Quote:
Quote:
The mental health journals are packed full of this stuff..

Could you show me please? I can't just take your word for it. What evidence/argument is there that, say, early teens are unable to consent to sex.

I'll have to see what I can find available on-line.

Quote:
Quote:
What are you basing your claims on?

It depends which claims you're referring to. If you tell me which claims you want me to back up, I can try my best. I've tried to back myself up with argument so far... if you want some concrete evidence for something then tell me what you want the evidence for and I'll see what I can find. I'm in the process of learning here, so apologies if I make unsubstantiated claims.

I'm questioning all of your claims (or presumptions if you prefer).

Quote:
Quote:
The only distinction you have between your pre and post-pubescents here is whether or not they've gone through puberty.

See above. Puberty is pretty significant!!

Yes, I agree that it is. So... just for grins and gilggles if you don't mind. When you meet a 13 year old girl how do you know if she has started puberty? How do you know if the process has coimpleted yet? Puberty isn't something that happens over-night...

Quote:
Quote:
So, by this theory, it would be OK to rape someone as long as they enjoyed it?

If they didn't suffer, then yes. Think about it... the reason rape is bad is that it causes intense suffering! If there were no suffering, then what would be bad about it? If a man raped a woman, and the woman both enjoyed it and experienced no physical or emotional pain at all as a result of it (not even in years to come), then no harm would be done. Anyway, I don't think that would ever happen, so I don't think that rape is ever OK in practice.

Interesting reaponse. So the other person's right to control their own body is forfitted because you feel like it? Would you accept this same standard if it was applied to you? let's say that you were going to meet a few friends for dinner and a movie and 3 guys grab you off the street and annally rape you. When they decide they've had enough of you do you just dust yourself off and go back to what you were doing? No harm, no foul right?

Quote:
Quote:
How do you propose to know if they will enjoy it beforehand? What happens if you force yourself upon someone and they don't enjoy it? It'd be a little late to try and back up and pretend it didn't happen wouldn't it?

Good points. Maybe I should stop talking about enjoyment and focus on lack of harm. If you have sex with someone and they don't enjoy it, that doesn't necessarily mean it is abuse. There has to be actual harm (physical or psychological) for it to be abusive. So what I need to know is whether sex with minors causes harm. If you forced yourself on somebody and they really and truly didn't mind at all (and I mean really and truly), and were not harmed at all by it, then I don't think there would be any wrongdoing. Enjoyment isn't necessary; absence of harm is necessary.

You seem to be missing the point. The point is that YOU have no way to determining whether or not there will be either enjoyment or harm for the other person. THEY are the only one that can make that determination. You get to decide what harms you, they get to decide what harms them.

And in the case of teens who don't have access to all of the available knowledge, the proper people to ask and teh impulse control to think out the concequences of their actions before acting, we have professional who research these things and provide us with information to make laws to ensure that things don't happen to people who can't make the decisions for themselves.

Quote:
Quote:
A film doesn't have the ability to harm me physically in any way, shape or form. Sex, on the other hand, can result in pregnancy or the transmission of STDs.

Well the whole point is that I'm assuming lack of harm. The argument is that consent is not necessary as long as there is no harm done. I'm not conding forced impregnation of minors, or the passing on of STDs to minors. Why can't contraception and medical precautions be used, as with adult sex? I am conding harmless sex, simple as that. If you think that sex with minors is harmful for reasons other than pregnancy or STDs, then I'd love to hear it.

That is only physical harm though. It doesn't account for the mental/emotional harm.

And as I listed above. Teens tend to act on impulse without thinking through the effects of their actions. You presume here agin that teens would stop and think to use protection - or that they even have access to protection.

Quote:
Quote:
Secondly, I, as an adult, am aware of what a film is and what the possible ramifications of watching it (or not) are (the possible mental/emotional "harm"). If I stayed there of my own free will long enough to watch the film then I have given my consent. But in that I presume that I am, capable of walking out at any time of my choosing an dthat there is no other "incentive" keeping me there. Even if there is some other incentive I, as an adult, am capable of weighing the pros/cons of watching the movie or losing the incentive. I am also aware that the decision is mine alone to make.

I think that teenagers are capable of that level of reasoning. And I think (though you might disagree, and I'm willing to hear why) that the burden of proof is on you for saying that they are not. I mean, didn't you make informed decisions as a teenager?

The proof is readily available to support my contention that they are not. There are reams of medical journals on how the mind develops and I don't think you'll find a single one that doesn't mention the issues related to the increase in hormone levels in teens or that the brain doens't complete development until humans reach their early 20s. You might believe the burden is on me but you are teh one attemnpting to change the status quo. That puts the burden on you.

btw, if you want to use my personal decisions as a teen as your yardstick then you are totally lost. I doubt many people would consider stealing cars, trowing bricks off of bridges at apssing cars and dropping acid to be "sound" decisions. Wink

Quote:
And of course they should be free to withdraw from a sexual encounter at any time... if they were not allowed to do so, then it would be rape. I do not condone rape.

And yet you''ve been arguing that consent isn't required. Lack of consent = rape.

Quote:
Quote:
And our best mental health professionals tell us that it is [harmful]...

Which ones? I've honestly never heard a mental health professional say that about pubescent/post-pubescent minors. Help me out here.

I'll see what I can find on-line...

Quote:
Quote:
The teen is almost always in an inferior position for decision making here. As minors their rights are limited. They don't know about or have access to remedies tthat an adult would be expected to know of. They are much less likely to have money or a car to escape the situation if they felt the need to, for example. They are also much less likely to be aware of their legal rights. There aren't many adults that would be all to concerned with their parents finding out that they've had sex. An average 14 year old is signifcantly more susceptile to coercion/blackmail than an average adult would be and leaving them open to predation is exactly what the current laws seek to prevent.

Some good points there. I guess what I have in mind is trustworthy adults having sexual relationships with minors. Maybe I'm being too idealistic. But I personally wouldn't coerse or blackmail anybody, of any age, into sex. ANd if I were to have a relationship with someone young, I'd be particularly careful not to push them into anything they might regret. And I really mean that. But of course, not everyone would be the same. Maybe I'm just fishing for acceptance rather than an actual change in the law... I dunno.

IMO, you are giving "adults" in general more credit than they deserve. Millions of children are sexually abused as it is. Do you think legalizing it would actually reduce those numbers? If adults could be trusted to only have legitimately consensual sexual relations with minors then there wouldn't be any laws regarding age of consent. These laws didn't just pop out of nowhere.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:11 pm
*waves to Soz*
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:13 pm
agrote wrote:
sozobe wrote:
What we're trying to get across to you is that 12 and 13 year olds are children. They are not merely smaller than adults or less experienced. Their brains are different.

There's no definite cut-off point between childhood and adulthood. 12 and 13 year olds are only children because we have decided to call them children. And of course their brains are different, but the brains of 40 year olds are different from the brains of 50 year olds, and I doubt you'd complain about sex between people of those ages.

What's important is in what way their brains are actually different. When you emphasise that the brains of minors are different, what differences do you have in mind? If they are different in a way that means that sex with people of that age would cause harm, then I agree with you that sex with them would be inappropriate. But I'm not convinced that their brains are different in that sort of way.

You are seriously wrong.

"The latest brain research has found strong evidence that when it comes to maturity, organization and control, key parts of the brain related to emotions, judgment and "thinking ahead" are the last to arrive.

"It seems that regulation of impulse control is the last on board and often the first to leave in the brain as we age," said Dr. Ruben Gur, a professor of psychology and director of the Brain Behavior Laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania who has been researching brain development in young adults.

Until recently, most brain experts thought the human command center stopped growing at around 18 months, and that neurons were pretty much set for life by age 3.

In fact, the brain's gray matter has a final growth spurt around the ages of 11 to 13 in the frontal lobes of the brain, the regions that guide human intellect and planning.

But it seems to take most of the teen years for youngsters to link these new cells to the rest of their brains and solidify the millions of connections that allow them to think and behave like adults.

At the same time, the release of a cascade of adolescent hormones during and after puberty causes other areas of the brain, particularly the amygdala, which governs basic emotional response, to fire up or expand.

The result is that teens look at things differently than adults. This has tremendous implications for education, mental health, drug abuse and moral and legal responsibility of adolescents."

http://www.ftnys.org/Newresearchshowsstark.htm

"This late phase of myelin formation, which occurs at the end of the teenage years, provides a neural basis for concluding that teens are on average less responsible for criminal acts than adults are. According to neuropsychologist Ruben Gur of the University of Pennsylvania, there is no way to determine whether, for example, a seventeen-year-old possesses a fully mature brain. "But the biological age of maturity generally falls around age twenty-one or twenty-two," in Gur's view.60

Because their frontal lobes function poorly, adolescents tend to use a part of the brain called the amygdala during decision-making.61 The amygdala is responsible for impulsive and aggressive behavior, and its dominance makes adolescents "more prone to react with gut instincts."62 In adult brains, the frontal lobes offer a check on the emotions and impulses originating from the amygdale. But this check does not work to the same extent in children's brains."

http://hrw.org/reports/2005/us0205/6.htm

Quote:
Quote:
This whole thing is of concern, but I find the following downright chilling:

agrote wrote:
I read in a book about sexual ethics that consent is perhaps not necessary if the behaviour does not actually cause harm...

I can see why you'd find that disturbing. But give it a moment's thought. Suppose a stranger came up and suddenly gave you thousands of pounds in cash and said you could keep it. You didn't consent to that in advance, but that doesn't make it abusive. To take the most extreme example... rape is a terrible thing. Why? Because it causes a great deal of harm. Rape is defined as forced sex, but it isn't the fact that it is forced that makes it such a terrible thing. What makes rape terrible is the fact that the act of forcing sex upon somebody causes them a great deal of harm. It's the harm that makes rape bad, not the lack of consent

If rape were as enjoyable and harmless as recieving thousands of pounds, then there would be nothing wrong with it. But that's a HUGE 'if'. The fact is, rape is harmful, and therefore we can't allow it. And if we cannot allow sex with minors, it should be for the reason that it is harmful (I don't think that it is harmful, of course), and not for the reason that there is no consent. Lack of consent may very well be a source of harm, but it's the resulting harm that is important, not the lack of consent itself. This really isn't a very chilling thing to say if you think about it carefully..

Give your own scenario here a moments thought. If you walk up to me and give me a bag of cash do I have to accept it? Do I not have the right to refuse to accept it?

You've jumped from the concept of "enjoy" and focused on "harm" all the while you neglect "choice to participate". Rape isn't illegal because it causes harm. It is illegal because it is in infringement on the right of the person being raped to decide for themselves what they wish to do with their own body. That, in itself is a "harm".
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:23 pm
Before I respond to everybody, let me just emphasise that I really honestly didn't choose to be the way I am. It might be pathological... I don't believe that it is, but I could well be wrong. But I am genuinely attracted to girls of that age, and I can't help it (as far as I'm aware). I'm sure you all realise that, but I just thought I'd be clear because some people might think that my desires are somehow immoral. Acting on my desires is arguably immoral, but my desires themselves are accidental and so I am not doing anything 'wrong' merely holding those desires and not acting on them.

Also, a lot of people are telling me to see a professional. A professional what? Bear in mind I'm quite strapped for cash at the moment.

I'll respond one at a time I think...

doowop wrote:
a) Physical. Just try doing some research (ask your GP) as to what long term physical harm can come from a female having full internal sex at such an age. You know jack shiite as to whether I'm qualified to advise you on this matter, so it would be of little use if I went into detail. Find out for yourself, as I'm sure it'll be an eye opener for you.

I'm not going to talk to my GP about this - that would be quite embarassing. Different girls develop at different rates, but I was under the impression that the average 13/14 year old was physically ready for sex (I'm only attracted to a small number of 12 year olds; as I say, different people develop at different rates). If there's something you know that I don't, I'd appreciate it if you told me. I've heard plenty of arguments for the psychological immaturity of girls that age, but not the physical immaturity... I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at. Lots of girls that age become pregnant don't they? I'm sure you'll tell me I'm being naive, and that's fine, I'm willing to learn what you can teach me.

Quote:
b) Mental maturity. Do you really need me to try to argue the toss with you about whether a twelve or thirteen year old has the mental maturity of an adult? Are you that daft?

I know that a 12 or 13 year old does not have the mental maturity of an adult. But I suspect that many of them, if not most of them, have sufficient maturity to engage in sex. Just because I disagree with you, that does not make me daft. I'm afraid you will have to argue your point if you want me to consider it.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:28 pm
sozobe wrote:
You are proposing that you are able to make the determination ahead of time.
Quote:

What determination?

Quote:
...the boggling jumps in logic and the self-delusion I see already leave me little hope that I could accomplish anything.

What boggling jumps in logic have I made? As far as I am aware, my logic is sound, and it's my premises that are questionable. I think that if you agreed with my premises (e.g. that sex with minors is not harmful), you might agree with my conclusion that sex with minors should be accepted. I don't expect you to agree with them, of course, I'm just making the point that I think I'm being entirely logical with the beliefs that I hold.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:31 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your pathetic attempt to rationalize a desire to consummate sexual fantasies which have absolutely no regard for the mental health and well-being of the child in question provides all the evidence needed that you are seeing thirteen year old girls as sexual objects, and not as people. All that this has to do with is your selfish, sexual gratification.

That's quite a prejudicial assumption you're making. Why do you assume that, just because I am sexually attracted to 13 year old girls, I see them as objects rather than people? I'm sure that you are sexually attracted to adults, but I wouldn't accuse you of seeing them as sexual objects rather than people.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:32 pm
agrote wrote:
Quote:
If you haven't sought help yet, please do.

If you can convince me that I have a problem, I'll seek help.

Do a search on the word "Hebephilia". It is exactly your condition.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:34 pm
The "professional what" is a professional pyschiatric or psychological counselor. As for the cash issue, such services can be arranged through mental health counseling services in the United States; if, as i suspect, you are in the United Kingdom, i suspect that this would be available through the national health scheme.

You continue to either miss altogether, or want to avoid the issue that this is entirely about your personal sexual gratification, and that for the attainment of that gratification, you are willing to rationalize adolescent girls as sexual objects to provide you gratification. That is certainly well within the range of pathological attitudes. There are only two circumstances in which consensual sex takes place. The first is that two people who are legally, psychologically and emotionally adults consent to have sexual relations with one another in recognition of mutual desire whether it is motivated by mere lust or by a strong attachment based on affection. The other is prostitution.

But you are proposing to merely make an adolescent girl a sexual object into which you will deposit your semen in response to your sexual fantasies. That is not a healthy way to see other people.

You need professional help, and you need it now.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:41 pm
cyphercat wrote:
You keep talking about post-pubescence, but you also say 12-13 is the age you are interested in. How can you try to claim that this age range is generally post-pubescent??

Sorry, I wasn't being very precise with my terminology. The age range I'm most interested in is probably more like 12-16ish, so to be precise I'd say I'm attracted to both pubescent and post-pubescent girls (not pre-pubescent girls).

Quote:
Puberty is a rather long process, for one thing; for another, how on earth do you think you can judge if some girl you're interested in is really post-pubescent? Do you have some way of knowing whether the hormones being produced are at normal adult levels? Or are you thinking you'll just see if she has breasts yet? 'Cause having breasts does not post-pubescent make, my dear.

Yeah, it could be tricky. I haven't fully thought that out... I don't want to go into graphic detail, but I would have thought I could rely on feedback from her. I'm not sure.

Quote:
And what about the psychological side of puberty? It isn't up to you to decide that only the physiological side of puberty counts, you know. Bottom line, you are not fit to determine whether a 12 or 13 year old is done with puberty.

I haven't said that the psychological side doesn't count. My argument is that the psychological maturity of minors is underestimated; so I think that the psychological side counts, and that people of that age can be psychologically ready for sex.

But I probably do need to learn more about puberty.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
During my tenure as a child protection worker I heard similar statements fairly often, the speaker usually was wearing handcuffs.

Yes, sex with minors is illegal. I'm aware of this.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:46 pm
fishin wrote:

I'm aware of that term, and I've read that it is not classed as pathological.

"Ephebophilia or Hebephilia has been defined as sexual attraction to adolescents... Ephebophilia is not listed as a paraphilia in the DSM-IV."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

I don't think the psychiatrists are on your side here.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 04:57 pm
agrote wrote:
fishin wrote:

I'm aware of that term, and I've read that it is not classed as pathological.

"Ephebophilia or Hebephilia has been defined as sexual attraction to adolescents... Ephebophilia is not listed as a paraphilia in the DSM-IV."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

I don't think the psychiatrists are on your side here.

You'd be wrong again.

The DSM-IV lists the 8 most prevelant paraphillas. That doesn't mean that there aren't others. (Necrophilia and Zoophilia aren't listed in the DSM-IV either!)

http://www.depression-guide.com/paraphilias.htm
http://www.depression-guide.com/ephebophilia.htm
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
As for the cash issue, such services can be arranged through mental health counseling services in the United States; if, as i suspect, you are in the United Kingdom, i suspect that this would be available through the national health scheme.

I might investigate that, but as far as I know Hebephilia/Ephebophilia is not seen as a mental illness; only Paedophilia is (see above post). I don't think there's anything pathologically wrong with me.

Quote:
But you are proposing to merely make an adolescent girl a sexual object into which you will deposit your semen in response to your sexual fantasies. That is not a healthy way to see other people.

I don't know where the hell you're getting this from. I do not see young girls merely as sexual objects; I see them as human beings, and I respect them like nay other human being. I just happen to fancy a lot of them, that's all. You fancy people too. It's normal to lust after females, and it does not entail misogyny or lack of respect for women. It may not be normal to lust after young girls, but why should it entail misogyny? WHat's the logic here?

Presumably you are attracted to adult women (I'm guessing you're male and heterosexual? sorry if I'm wrong). Would it be fair for me to assume that you see adult women as sexual objects into which you will deposit your semen in response to your sexual fantasies? No, it would not. Please don't assume the same thing about me.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:05 pm
Agrote, regarding the physical risks, I may be talking out of my arse here but I believe that the risk of a woman developing cervical cancer later on in life, may be significantly increased if they started having intercourse at an early age.
I don't know where I picked this up, (probably from something on TV), but I've just googled various key words and have found this. It states that one risk factor is "having sexual intercourse before the age of 18".
From memory, I'm sure that the article/programme stated that the younger the girl, the higher the risk. There were other factors such as the cervix not having formed fully, etc. But I'm not medically trained, so could be a bit off course. Maybe someone here knows more, or can find a good link?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:09 pm
agrote wrote:
Quote:

I don't know where the hell you're getting this from. I do not see young girls merely as sexual objects; I see them as human beings, and I respect them like nay other human being. I just happen to fancy a lot of them, that's all. You fancy people too. It's normal to lust after females, and it does not entail misogyny or lack of respect for women. It may not be normal to lust after young girls, but why should it entail misogyny? WHat's the logic here?

Presumably you are attracted to adult women (I'm guessing you're male and heterosexual? sorry if I'm wrong). Would it be fair for me to assume that you see adult women as sexual objects into which you will deposit your semen in response to your sexual fantasies? No, it would not. Please don't assume the same thing about me.

The logic is that you have not stated or implied that you have an affectionate relationship with a 13 year old girl which your fantasies lead to you wish to consummate sexually. You are simply attempting to argue that you should be allowed to screw a 13 year old, because it turns you on. You aren't talking about an emotional relationship, or mutual physical attraction between two consenting adults (13 year old girls are not adults). You are talking only about gratifying your lust.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:10 pm
From an online article:

Few studies have looked at the importance of emotional or conduct disorders, but it seems that sexually active teenagers are more likely to be emotionally disturbed. In one study sexually active teenagers aged under 16 were found to be at increased risk of depression and suicide.12 Other psychological factors such as levels of self esteem are also thought to play an important part in health related aspects of teenage behaviour.13
There are important psychological and emotional dimensions to the issue of under age sex, but awareness of these is not reflected in guidelines currently available to doctors. Is it enough simply to consider whether a girl is "competent and sensible"?14 Without some sort of assessment of psychological maturity, many health interventions will miss their mark. There is a pressing need for work on the psychology of adolescence to be incorporated into the wider body of literature on teenage sex. More than one study has found that a substantial proportion of women who lost their virginity under the age of 16 consider in retrospect that this was too young.4 15 Little is known about the effect of early sexual intercourse on subsequent psychosexual functioning. The issue of whether a young person is ready to embark on a sexual relationship remains a complex one. The scale of morbidity currently associated with under age sex is sobering and suggests that, for many teenagers, sexual activity is far from appropriate.
Registrar in child and adolescent psychiatry Child Mental Health, High Wycombe, Bucks HP13 6PQ
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:10 pm
fishin wrote:
The DSM-IV lists the 8 most prevelant paraphillas. That doesn't mean that there aren't others.

Nor does it mean that ephebophilia is one of the others.

That website just describes what ephebophilia is. Where does it say that I have some kind of mental problem?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:12 pm
Doowop wrote:
Agrote, regarding the physical risks, I may be talking out of my arse here but I believe that the risk of a woman developing cervical cancer later on in life, may be significantly increased if they started having intercourse at an early age.

You might be right... let me know if you find a reference for that.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
The logic is that you have not stated or implied that you have an affectionate relationship with a 13 year old girl which your fantasies lead to you wish to consummate sexually. You are simply attempting to argue that you should be allowed to screw a 13 year old, because it turns you on. You aren't talking about an emotional relationship, or mutual physical attraction between two consenting adults (13 year old girls are not adults). You are talking only about gratifying your lust.

Okay, I haven't made myself clear.

I am talking about mutual physical attraction between two consenting people. I would not sleep with someone if there was no mutual attraction or no consent. I did argue that consent is not the important issue when determining whether sex with minors should be acceptable (harm is the issue), but still I personally would want consent. I would be very interested in an affectionate and emotional relationship with a young girl. But I would also be interested in casual sex.

Are you against casual sex? Does a desire for casual sex necessarily imply hatred of women? I don't think so. Should you be allowed to screw a (consenting) adult because it turns you on? I think you should. What exactly is wrong with gratifying your lust with somebody who wants to gratify their lust with you?
0 Replies

rhachis

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:21 pm
Sex with minors
Having sex with female children does increase their risk of cervical cancer.
Children of age 10-18, do not have full executive functioning of their brains. They are functioning in a similar state as a person who has had a frontal lobe brain injury. The reason the law states that they cannot give consent is because their brains are not "grown up" yet.
0 Replies