Which country is causes more pollution...

Marwan

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
I was wondering which country causes more pollution? Mexico, USA, or Canada?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,590 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:08 pm
there is little doubt that USA produces more pollution than the other 2 countries, ... but ... try to compare apples with apples....high-development countries with other high-development countries.

This question of environmental economics is pretty complex. It seems pretty naive to compare these nations as the population of USA is now over 300 million and is also one of the top leading economic powers in the world. You cannot really accurately compare nations in different economic echelons without taking into considerations the size and scale of their respective economies.

USA is the SECOND highest leading economic power with 300 million people and has a GDP of $12.2 -$13.1 trillion USD (2006)

Mexico is third-world power with a population of just over 103 million, and is pretty highly polluted for its size. GDP is US $1.09 - 1.15 trillion (2006)

Canada is almost 33 million people. GDP is $1.08 -1.18 trillion USD.

For sake of comparison ..other countries:

European Union is the greatest leading economic power. The EU has a combined population of 494 million with a combined GDP of $61.0 - $65.95 trillion USD.

China has a population of 1.34 billion (2007 estimated) and a GDP of
$8.8 - $10.2 trillion USD .

China is one of the biggest contributing polluters of all these countries.

"With regard to carbon emissions, China was exempted from the Kyoto Protocol. Since the treaty was signed, China has become one of the world's top emitters of carbon gases and possibly a major contributor to global warming.

Part of the price China is paying for increased prosperity is damage to the environment. Leading Chinese environmental campaigner Ma Jun has warned that water pollution is one of the most serious threats facing China. According to Ma the drinking water of 300 million peasants is unsafe and water quality in one fifth of the cities is not up to standard. This makes the crisis of water shortages more pressing, with 400 out of 600 cities short of water."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:53 pm
Ragman wrote:
European Union is the greatest leading economic power. The EU has a combined population of 494 million with a combined GDP of $61.0 - $65.95 trillion USD.
E.U is between 13 and 14 trillion. Your figure could only be the purchasing power parity estimate of total world GDP. At the actual exchange rates, however, the entire world is at about 40 Trillion. The U.S. controls about a third of that... or a 5th of the PPP estimate.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 07:32 pm
Youre' right, Bill. Not sure what possessed my typing hand, but my figures for EU were way off. Must have been tired or something.

As of 2006, Gross World Product (International Monetary Fund estimates = $44 - $48 trillion

EU = $14.5 trillion
USA = $13.2 trillion
China = $2.6 trillion
Canada = $1.26 trillion
Mexico = $840 billion
gerd

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:50 am
I think the question was very clear, amongst Mexico, Canada and United States, of course United States it is the the more polluter country, but also is the world's biggest polluter, the ozone layer, th weather and earth do not know about economy, about Mexico it is in 3rd world as you said or Canada population and econony can not be compare with US.

The USA is the world's biggest polluter
The worlds largest polluter, America has recently not backed pollution treaties to reduce car emissions or petrol consumption. The US alone accounted for 36.1% of worldwide greenhouse emissions in 1990 [BBC].

"The US contains 4% of the world's population but produces about 25% of all carbon dioxide emissions. By comparison, Britain emits 3% - about the same as India which has 15 times as many people"
BBC: The US and climate change

Many environmentalists understand that developing countries do not have the technology or means to use the most modern or environmentally friendly industrial equipment. But when such a rich country as the USA fails to take responsibility for its own pollution it really annoys a lot of people worldwide. I have created this essay just to concentrate on the USA and President Bush's effect on the Kyoto Protocol because I receive so many emails from people expressing a hatred of the USA because of these issues.

Carbon Dioxide Emissions of the three biggest polluters: (BBC Display of this information)
The USA EU China Total
Population of world: 4.6% 6.3% 21% 31.9%
World economy: 30% 23% 3.2% 56.2%
CO2 Emissions: 24% 14% 13% 51%

China and the EU, both lesser polluters than the US, have one thing in common: They are both committed to further reducing their rate of emissions. Despite economic growth China has cut emissions by 17% since the mid 1990s. The odd one out is the USA. Immensely richer than China, but with less population than Europe, it emits more harmful chemicals than both of them. In addition, it has so far stubbornly refused to endorse international protocols designed to reduce such emissions. The world looks on flabbergasted as the world's greatest polluter cares not to take care or responsibility in the face of international pressure.

Source: http://www.vexen.co.uk/USA/pollution.html#Pollution
0 Replies

maliyana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:56 am
Ragman wrote:

USA is the SECOND highest leading economic power with 300 million people and has a GDP of $12.2 -$13.1 trillion USD (2006)

Mexico is third-world power with a population of just over 103 million, and is pretty highly polluted for its size. GDP is US $1.09 - 1.15 trillion (2006)

Canada is almost 33 million people. GDP is $1.08 -1.18 trillion USD.

For sake of comparison ..other countries:

$8.8 - $10.2 trillion USD .

are you sure your data is true ??
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The EU has a combined population of 494 million with a combined GDP of $61.0 - $65.95 trillion USD.
$8.8 - $10.2 trillion USD
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
but I think they are not .please check them
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 10:02 am
Why do you think these numbers are wrong?

Because your government tell you so?

Ragman's figures are correct:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gismonda/gdpchine.jpg

And here you can see how much a Chinese or an European earn per year:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gismonda/gdppercap.jpg
0 Replies

maliyana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 07:18 pm
Francis wrote:
Why do you think these numbers are wrong?

Because your government tell you so?

Ragman's figures are correct:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gismonda/gdpchine.jpg

And here you can see how much a Chinese or an European earn per year:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gismonda/gdppercap.jpg

obviously, your nunber is right .I think you had not understood me .
0 Replies

notreliable

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 04:14 pm
@Ragman,
The EU is not an individual nation like the USA and China it is a union of nations and economies there is no EU head of state unlike in US China Mexico and Canada

Just bear this in mind, really you should be looking at the economies, population and contribution to world pollution of nations within the EU such as Germany France and the UK.
0 Replies