Free health care is expensive

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Miller wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
HokieBird wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Interesting that we have so few replies.

Telling, isn't it?

Telling about what?

Miller has posted, I don't know, about a hundred different threads with the same topic over the last week. It's boring to respond to all of them.

Cycloptichorn

Why? Shocked

Because they are asinine. Look, you are against a universal health care system. We get it. You don't need to make any other new topics to drive this point home. You could have put each and every one of those posts in a single thread, instead of cluttering up the place.

Cycloptichorn

Funny, I've thought the same thing of bumblebeeboogie and her endless anti-bush rants, but I didn't feel it is my place to stifle her free speech. You, being a liberal and all, feel it appropriate to want stifle free speech.

How predictable.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 07:34 pm
Now, who said anything about stifling?

Quote:

Because they are asinine. Look, you are against a universal health care system. We get it. You don't need to make any other new topics to drive this point home. You could have put each and every one of those posts in a single thread, instead of cluttering up the place.

I'm not sure which part you think construes an attempt to censor someone's post; and as a contributor to the sacrosanct 'Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread,' I'm sure you understand that requests to respect the board conventions - such as not creating 25 threads to talk about the same thing - are perfectly valid.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:17 pm
old europe wrote:
HokieBird wrote:
Sure. Just look at Germany and France (I assume you know their armies would have trouble fighting off a group of angry girl scouts). Double-digit unemployment, high taxes, low growth. *Free* health care, though.

But, after you've cut the entire war and all of the military, where do you make cuts after that?

Let me venture a guess: you know zilch about the German health care system. Right?

From what I read here, it's a virtual Utopia. I may move there.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:23 pm
I'll pass, thank you. Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:32 pm
HokieBird wrote:

I mean, most complain here because it used to be much better people think´.

However, although it is quite good to know that you read about it, we certainly can give some help to understand what you've read.

First: it's not virtual but real.

Second: it is neither utopia nor dystopia but fact 24/24, 7/7.

Any more questions?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
Miller wrote:

An equitable decision.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 01:20 pm
HokieBird wrote:

Yes. It's a virtual Utopia. I don't recommend moving to Germany, though. It really is a communist country. And no doubt it will be overrun by radical Muslims and collapse within the next 10 years.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 01:20 pm
Miller wrote:

You're welcome.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
old europe wrote:
HokieBird wrote:

Yes. It's a virtual Utopia. I don't recommend moving to Germany, though. It really is a communist country. And no doubt it will be overrun by radical Muslims and collapse within the next 10 years.

That should suit Germans just fine, then, since most believe "Evil Americans, Poor Mullahs"anyway.

Well, in all honesty, it was America and not Iran that bombed the living **** out of Germany during that last round of European unpleasantness. That, plus the embarrassment of having to surrender and such is bound to make them just a tad squirrely.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 05:10 pm
HokieBird wrote:
That should suit Germans just fine, then, since most believe "Evil Americans, Poor Mullahs"anyway.

That's an interesting way to interpret the results of that poll. Well, alright.
Generally, I would say, it is mostly due to the Iraq quagmire. Maybe it's
not even just a German phenomenon:

http://pewglobal.org/reports/images/252-1.gif

Ah. America's global image has slipped? Again? Now, who would have thought...
But isn't it surprising that these results are not really that different from what many Americans think about, you know, things like "threats to world peace" and stuff....?

http://pewglobal.org/reports/images/252-4.gif

Bloody anti-American Americans. Really.

HokieBird wrote:
Well, in all honesty, it was America and not Iran that bombed the living **** out of Germany during that last round of European unpleasantness. That, plus the embarrassment of having to surrender and such is bound to make them just a tad squirrely.

Yes. Well, mostly America, Britain and the Soviet Union.

Given that fact, I would say that relations between America and Germany are amazingly normal. Good, even. Well, maybe not as good as, say, British-American relations. ("America has no truer friend than Great Britain," as President Bush put it. There you go.)

But talking about irrational hate: there's little doubt that, not too long ago, many Americans would probably have declared more disdain for France than for Turkmenistan (you know, the totalitarian regime that, back then, renamed the months after its leader and mandated that every clock face had to show the face of Turkmenbashi...)
People even went as far as to purchase $1,000 bottles of French wine to pour down the gutter, just to make a statement! ("We want to show France that the United States people do not need permission from them to protect ourselves from the threats of nuclear weapons," the Young Americans for Freedom said...)
Oh yes, and you guys renamed French fries and French toast... now that was patriotic! (Except that French fries actually come from Belgium.)(And maybe it should be noted that not renaming "French kissing" sent a somewhat mixed message...)

But hey! You did all of this to your First Ally? The country that helped you gain independence! From Britain! The country that gave you the Statue of Liberty, for heaven's sake!

And why that sudden disdain? Because the French thought that going to war with Iraq just might be a bad idea? Wow. Yes, they must hate America.

(So, I've heard that French fries are called "French fries" again...?)
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 07:43 pm
old europe wrote:
Yes, they must hate America.

Actually, the French seem to dislike themselves more than anything.

French outpace Americans in French-bashing: poll

PARIS (Reuters) - The French dislike themselves even more than the Americans dislike them, according to an opinion poll published on Friday.

The survey of six nations, carried out for the International Herald Tribune daily and France 24 TV station, said 44 percent of French people thought badly of themselves against 38 percent of U.S. respondents who had a negative view of the French.

Only 14 percent of Germans, 25 percent of Italians, 29 percent of Spaniards and 33 percent of Britons had a negative view of the French, according to the Harris/Novatris poll, which questioned more than 1,000 people in each country.

Looked at from another perspective, the Germans have the highest regard for their neighbors, with 73 percent saying they had a positive view of the French.

By contrast, some 63 percent of Italians had a positive view of the French, 54 percent of Spaniards, 51 percent of French, 41 percent of Britons and just 35 percent of Americans.

Relations between France and the United States plunged following Paris's fierce opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

Thursday's poll said 74 percent of Americans said whoever wins the second round of France's presidential election on May 6 should try to improve relations with the United States.

Some 41 percent of French agreed, but 20 percent believed Paris should be even more distant with Washington.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2007 11:30 pm
Hmm, all convincing arguments why our health system is so expensive compared to yours.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:24 am
old europe wrote:
HokieBird wrote:

Do Muslims like dumplings? Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:28 am
Quote:
"America has no truer friend than Great Britain," ...

Very true and for that reason among so many others, most Americans think of Canada as a 2nd home. I know I do.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:37 am
Miller wrote:

Very true and for that reason among so many others, most Americans think of Canada as a 2nd home. I know I do.

Ah oui, les refugées Americaines en Le Canada.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:44 am
J'aime Montréal. Laughing
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:17 am
free healthcare is expensive, good health is priceless Smile

dont put money before people, if this POS government can fork out 100's of billions for war, we damn sure better be able to spend more on healthcare.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:19 am
oe said...

Quote:
But hey! You did all of this to your First Ally? The country that helped you gain independence! From Britain! The country that gave you the Statue of Liberty, for heaven's sake!

But oddly,they were not the first country to recognize the US as an independent country and establish full diplomatic relations.

That honor falls to Morocco.
http://www.moroccanamericanpolicy.com/subject_area.php?sub_id=10
0 Replies