Why does Obama support nuclear energy?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:49 am
mysteryman wrote:

I spent 2 years living and working within 100 feet of a nuclear power plant and except for a radiation dosimeter we all had to wear,we didnt undergo any other special testing and we werent required to submit blood and urine samples for testing.

That was very thoughtful of your employer.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I spent 2 years living and working within 100 feet of a nuclear power plant and except for a radiation dosimeter we all had to wear,we didnt undergo any other special testing and we werent required to submit blood and urine samples for testing.

That was very thoughtful of your employer.

MY employer ws the US Navy.
I spent 2 years as the corpsman aboard the USS Hammerhead (SSN-663).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:52 am
I didn't ask for employer - but thanks for answering.
0 Replies

massmutual

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:19 am
mysteryman wrote:
Miller wrote:
When I was a Staff Scientist at the Argonne National Labs in Illinois, we were requried to routinely submit samples of blood and urine for analysis because of the numerous cases of adult onset leukemia on the premises.

Fer cryin' out loud myateryman, the gal "miller" aka thousands of other names is insane, read the posts before yours. Read this page while yo'are at it too
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about100391-0-asc-0.html
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:05 am
mysteryman wrote:

And while at sea, you received less radiation than if you had been at home! My dosimeter rarely read above 10 mrem/qtr and I was a nuc. (SSBN 625)
0 Replies

massmutual

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
engineer wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

And while at sea, you received less radiation than if you had been at home! My dosimeter rarely read above 10 mrem/qtr and I was a nuc. (SSBN 625)

That's fer sure specially if the home has a radon basement, much safer at sea
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:15 am
engineer wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I know that.
I was the corpsman on the Hammerhead for 2 years,so I had to familiarize myself with the dosimeter.

I was not trying to insinuate that I received more radiation at sea,only that we were a lot closer to the nuke plant.
I was trying, poorly I guess, to say that a modern nuke plant is so well shielded that getting leukemia from the plant was so unlikely as to be almost impossible.

When did you serve on the HC, and which crew were you?
I never served on a "boomer" and those 2 years on the Hammerhead were the only time I served on the boats at all.
I did however,earn my dolphins, and that I am very proud of.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:05 pm
Miller wrote:
When I was a Staff Scientist at the Argonne National Labs in Illinois, we were requried to routinely submit samples of blood and urine for analysis because of the numerous cases of adult onset leukemia on the premises.

Can you quantify "numerous"? Perhaps you can give me the citation for the article in which you staff scientists published your findings. I'll try to take a look at it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
mysteryman wrote:

I never served on a "boomer" and those 2 years on the Hammerhead were the only time I served on the boats at all.

I was on the HC (gold) from '87 to '89 working out of Holy Loch and then took her through decom. Seems like yesterday.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:00 pm
engineer wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I was on the HC (gold) from '87 to '89 working out of Holy Loch and then took her through decom. Seems like yesterday.

We were part of subron 6 out of Norfolk.
The LY Spear was our tender.

I was in Holy Loch in 1989 for a couple of weeks with the Hammerhead.
I enjoyed it there.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 02:44 pm
Thomas wrote:
Miller wrote:

Can you quantify "numerous"? Perhaps you can give me the citation for the article in which you staff scientists published your findings. I'll try to take a look at it.

Thomas and USN here - I tried to follow up on this query, but so far with little success:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Pls see if you can press for an answer as I'll be away from public postings until this weekend. Thanks, all, and to USN thank you for your service!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:03 pm
Thomas - will be gone from online postings for a while as I have to really go flat out at work - and can't locate Walter's home address; had promised him a book and just found out that my new secretary still had it, never once having thought to tell me she hadn't mailed it. Pls be kind enough as can't send IMs yet to IM it to me here if you do have it. Thank you Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 02:30 pm
Sorry, but I don't have Walter's home address. Is your e-mail account still current? The Yahoo one with the French words in it? Do you want me to PM it to Walter so he can send you his address?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 02:51 pm
Although my address is quite easily to be found, I can PM or email it to (nearly) anyone who wants to know it :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:02 pm
Popular Mechanics had a nice article on the newer (generation 3 and generation 4) nuclear plant designs. (1 1/2 years ago?)

Chernobyl was 1st generation.
3-Mile Island is 2nd generation.

Newer designs couldn't melt down if you tried to make 'em.
0 Replies

easyasabc

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:51 am
I don't believe it.
That's the first I've heard about that.

If Obama does in fact support the building of a few hundred more nuclear power plants, I'd actually vote for him. If the U.S. would go nuclear it would no longer need imported oil. It produces enough of its own oil at this time to power all its wheeled vehicle needs. Nukes would provide energy for everything else.

And now that the Russians have commandeered the entire arctic circle and its infinite amount of oil reserves, nuclear power will become more important than ever before.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:04 am
Re: I don't believe it.
easyasabc wrote:
That's the first I've heard about that.

If Obama does in fact support the building of a few hundred more nuclear power plants, I'd actually vote for him. If the U.S. would go nuclear it would no longer need imported oil. It produces enough of its own oil at this time to power all its wheeled vehicle needs. Nukes would provide energy for everything else.

And now that the Russians have commandeered the entire arctic circle and its infinite amount of oil reserves, nuclear power will become more important than ever before.

I really enjoyed reading your profile easy, I found it very informative.
0 Replies