Some good news from Iraq (seriously)

Zippo

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:51 am
Quote:
From The Times
July 23, 2007

Al-Qaeda faces rebellion from the ranks

Sickened by the group's barbarity, Iraqi insurgents are giving information to coalition forces

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00190/TTH233101CM185_190556a.jpg

Fed up with being part of a group that cuts off a person's face with piano wire to teach others a lesson, dozens of low-level members of al-Qaeda in Iraq are daring to become informants for the US military in a hostile Baghdad neighbourhood.

The ground-breaking move in Doura is part of a wider trend that has started in other al-Qaeda hotspots across the country and in which Sunni insurgent groups and tribal sheikhs have stood together with the coalition against the extremist movement...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE

Never thought i'd say this, but maybe we should hang in there for at least one more year, things could change.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 326 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 11:44 pm
More news

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/57592/
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:13 am
Zippo,
I am glad you posted that. I would buy you a beer with your money also Very Happy

Eric, St. Louis post, is exactly how I feel. I just hope people would open their eyes and see what a threat these terrorists are.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:51 am
The true motive for the war/occupation is the same as it was at it's onset and will be perpetuated only for those purposes.

A void created by the absents of Al-Qaeda will be filled again and again Only the names will change intill there is a change in policy.

If the intentions for the war were peace and democracy for Iraq there would be no war.

If the U.S. never attacked Iraq how big would Al-Qaeda be? What fuels Al Qaeda?

And what and who will fuel the next Al-Qaeda?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:41 am
War games show no bloodbath or al Qaeda takeover after US pullout from Iraq RAW STORY
Published: Monday July 23, 2007

CNN spoke on Monday with Marine Colonel (ret.) Gary Anderson about possible scenarios the US military has been war gaming for conditions in Iraq following a US pullout.

"You would definitely see an attempt by Shia elements ... to ethnically cleanse ... the central area," Anderson said. "I don't think it's going to be necessarily the bloodbath that conventional wisdom predicts, because the Sunnis really can't generate enough mass to make it a Bosnia type fight. ... Once they're out there [in Anbar Province], I think the Shia will forget about them." He also downplayed any threat from al Qaeda, saying, "I think the other Sunni states in the region would step in to try to help the tribal sheikhs out there fight the al Qaeda."

Anderson sees the greatest potential for violence as between pro- and anti-Iranian Shias, which "could be a very bloody, very troublesome thing." He expects the Iranians would definitely get more involved in Iraq but said that "the danger would be ... from their standpoint, for them to get in there and for them to get bogged down in a quagmire.

The following video is from CNN's American Morning broadcast on July 23.

link
0 Replies