New Home, please take a look!

neo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:09 pm
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=482c3bf3-6d88-6da1-3aa3-4b0050146b78&size=
i am building the exact same house. The only difference is: (top middle window will be a larger triple arch and a cosmetic porch over front door).
i am worried that shutters would be too busy and it makes the house look a lot smaller. Another set back is the decision to add dormers. Should i and if so where? on house roof or Garage? thank you very much for your participation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,658 • Replies: 59
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:22 pm
Hey, if you can't make up your mind, save some money.
0 Replies

neo

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 11:35 pm
i wasn't really looking for that kind of response. just wanted to prove a point to the wife Laughing . i am open to your opinion, but thanks anyway.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:13 am
I'm up in the air about the dormers, but I do like the shutters. I think the house would look very plain without the shutters.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:42 am
If it helps your decision about the shudders, here's a quickly mocked up photo without the shudders.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/butrflynet/images/house.jpg

Personally, the house looks extremely plain without them. It needs the contrast. An alternative might be to paint the window frames a contrasting color instead. But I think I prefer the look of the shudders. If you live in an area with severe storms, you'll be glad to have them. Just be sure they are properly sized and mounted. Incorrectly sized shudders just look comical at best.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:06 am
Wow! How did you do that? That is exactly how I pictured the house without the shutters and it does look much too plain in my opinion. The shutters make the house richer looking.
0 Replies

neo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 06:52 am
wow!!!!! thats fantastic!! i really appreciate this, you're right, it looks a bit plain. Is it possible for you to add dormers too Very Happy ? BTW, i do not intention to leave it like this. I was thinking of having the frames (borders)a bit wider. (Not the actual window) what do you think?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:23 am
I'd agree that going with shutters the house looks a bit umm.. "plain". Dormers are nice but more so from the inside than out. If they are just there for appearances sake then skip them. A roof without them is generally stronger and easier to maintain.

One thing I would do though. The main house has a hip roof but that detail isn't carried over to the garage (the garage end-wall where the doors would be is peaked instead). It's something to consider...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
I vote yes for shutters and yes for dormers, too. Same reason - the roof looks somewhat plain as is. Just one opinion, of course...

Let us know what you decide!
0 Replies

neo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 08:15 am
OK what you guys think? This is what i had in mind. It has the porch and top window we are looking at getting.
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=1916232c-3896-638f-34ab-5d3a13015d55&size=
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
Neo
Neo, I find serious architectural design flaws in the house in the photo.

First I would reconsider using an arched window on the second floor. It would be inconsistent with the Federal style and the other window details on the house. They appear to have classic Federal style caps over the windows on the first floor, but the second floor windows are plain and do not have the same caps. I think a center window matching the others would be a better choice. If you really need a larger window for interior needs, the width could be increased.

In addition, the first floor windows appear to have 6 divided lights (window grids) in the upper half of the double-hung windows with clear glass below. The second floor windows appear to have 12 divided lights (window grids) covering the entire window. Good architecture would provide consistency of the window details.

The window materials appears to be white vinyl.

The shutters on all windows would be consistent with the Federal style.

You mentioned an additional front entrance roof cover not seen in the photo. You may want to consider using a flat roof design or one matching the flat peaked design of the house's roof for this small roof, which should extend at least 18 inches on both sides of the front door and side-windows width.

You didn't mention what color the roof will be. If, for example, the roof was a medium or dark gray color, you would want to select a color scheme taking the roof color into consideration.

You also didn't mention whether the front door will be a natural wood color or will be painted.

The wrought iron stair railings to the front door should be black or painted to match the front door color, if it is painted.

The first thing to do is to note the colors of the houses to the left and to the right of your house, and the house across the street. You don't want to repeat colors too similar to those houses.

The Federal style color schemes usually consisted of strongly contrasting colors. For example: dark gray roof, creamy white siding, dark green-black trim and shutters and window caps. The front door would be in a contrasting strong accent color such as burgundy.

Browsing through my Sherwin Williams paint color fan, I considered the following color scheme assuming a dark gray roof:

FOR A MONOCHROMATIC COLOR SCHEME:

Siding: Sagey 6175 (pale gray-green)

Window and door frame trim: Clary Sage 6178 (medium gray green)

Gutters and downspouts (match the house color to which they are attached): Gutters: Clary Sage 6178; downspouts: Sagey 6175.

Window caps and shutters: Secret Garden 6181 (dark green-gray)

Front door (if painted): Jasper 6216 (very dark green-black)

Garage door: Sagey 6175 or Clary Sage 6178 (one color or two color combination depending on the garage door's design)

FOR A CONTRASTING COLOR SCHEME:

Siding: Perfect Greige 6073 (medium warm taupe)

Window and door frame trim: Heron Plume 6070

Gutters: Heron Plume 6070; and downspouts: Perfect Greige 6073

Window caps and shutters: Retreat 6207 (medium-dark green-gray)

Front door (if painted): Turkish Coffee 6076 or Jasper 6216

Garage Door: Perfect Greige 6073 or Heron Plum 6070

These color schemes, based on a gray roof color, are offered as an example of how to approach choosing attractive colors consistent with the design of your house. I hope these suggestions give you some ideas. Good luck with your new house project.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:35 pm
That house is nice too Neo, but I think it would look better with shutters as well.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:49 pm
Much much much better without the shutters.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 12:50 pm
And agree with BBB -- chuck that arch.
0 Replies

neo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:51 pm
BBB, that is a great post. very nice, thanks for taking the time to do that. Although it makes my job a bit harder. Smile thanks alot it's very helpful. neo
0 Replies

neo

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:52 pm
please, take the time out and cast your vote!!!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:58 pm
Neo if you can post a photo of the dormers/style you have in mind, I can see what I can do about using my photo editor to make a greater mockery of that house for you. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 04:01 pm
By the way, your poll is giving you some very faulty results. The poll mechanism only allows us to vote once. Your poll contains two separate questions, so if we vote on the shutters and then on the dormers, the shutter answer is removed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 04:52 pm
I like your idea for a front door overhang and am a sucker for arched windows. I looked around a little (see below) and if you are going for a Federal style, then you just about have to have the shutters. The flat front dormer on the photo below looks pretty nice to me.

BTW - Remember to "wet the bush" when the highest roof beam is set. This is an old carpenter tradition. You nail a branch to the top of the beam and wet it with alcohol, sort of like christening a ship. OK, You don't believe me, do you? Here's a quote from cadsmith.com:
Quote:
14. My Builder Says We'll Be "Wetting the Bush" Next Week. What Does This Mean?
This is a great first celebration for your new home.
There is an Old English (and New England) tradition called "wetting the bush" which happens when the roof is framed. An evergreen (an ancient symbol of life) is nailed up to the roof frame and libations (usually alcoholic) are imbibed with toasts to the future health and happiness in the new home, etc. The Owner is expected to bring the beverage (of high quality) to share with the building crew.

And here's some info on Federal Style houses...

Quote:
Federal: ca. 1780-1830
Federal houses are elaborately decorated dwellings with pilasters at the side of paneled doors, two or three stories, frequently with dormers. They were often made of brick though frame houses were typically painted a colonial red with black shutters and white trim. A Federal home is distinguished by a rectangular shaped building, low pitched roof and overall symmetrical design.

-Federal homes are often surrounded by ornate wrought iron fencing.
-Tall, narrow windows with 6-over-6 sash symmetrically arranged around a central doorway. Windows are straight-topped with thin muntins.
-Semi-elliptical fan-shaped window, transom, or entablature over the doorway framed by sidelights. Six-paneled front doors were often decorated with columns or pilasters and centrally located in five bays.
-Restrained decorations - keystone lintels above windows, quoining at the corners in brick or stone houses.
-Front eave balustraded (wood or wrought iron) and quarter-round or semicircular windows or shutters in the gabled end.
-Chimneys near the end walls of federal style, centrally located in the colonial

http://www.masterpieces.com/images/arch/federal.jpg
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 05:18 pm
I like the idea of the shutters although not on the arched window and I think dormer on the roof of the garage would be nice, especially if when looking at the garage from the side there were small paned windows there as well.
Agree with the consitancy of the panes, 6 or 9, I prefer 9 for the style of that house, and I would also consider federal blue and grays for colors...that yellow does nothing for me. OH..I see a great deal of color information for you above...very very nice choices.
Also, I like a larger front step area with a flat topped porch, without the rails in the one you picture and with heavier columns than that.
This is however only my opinion and Im not voting cuz its not broken up enough for me to vote correctly .... both shutters and dormer Smile
Good Luck whatever you do!
0 Replies