Heavy Cream?

Montana

Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:06 pm
I have recipes that call for heavy cream or half n half, but we don't have that in our grocery stores in my area. None that I know of anyway.

What we do have is coffee cream, cereal cream and whipping cream and I was wondering if any of these would qualify as being heavy cream?

Right now I'm wanting to make ice cream, but there are tons of recipes I never make because of the heavy cream issue. I bought some whipping cream to try, but I really don't want to waste all those ingredients if it doesn't turn out ok.

What do you think guys? Can you help me out? :-D
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,917 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:23 pm
Geez, talk about euphemisms...

well, whipping cream is heavy cream.

I've no idea what the nature of the other products are.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:34 pm
I thought so. Good, I can make my ice cream this weekend :-D

Thanks Osso :-D

Ummmmm..... Sorry for my ignorance, but what does this mean "Geez, talk about euphemisms..."?

I even looked it up and I still don't get it. Sometimes you guys are too smart for me, but don't stop because you teach me stuff and I like that sorta thing ;-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:01 pm
Euphemisms are words in place of. So, a euphemism for '****' is 'shucks'.

What coffee cream is, I've no idea.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:17 pm
Thanks for the lesson ;-)

I think coffee cream is a heavy cream, but it's not as heavy as whipping cream.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:25 pm
Words in place of something ugly, which makes it sound better. What we used to call garbage men are now called Sanitation Engineers. Okay, just kidding, but it's not a bad example.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 06:50 am
A euphemism says something in the most attractive and refined way possible. A dysphemism is the opposite.

Some people "pass away".

Some people "kick the bucket".

I've never been sure where "pushing up the daisies" belongs.
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 06:53 am
Isn't heavy cream a stimulus to coronary artery disease?

Cool Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:58 am
Roger & Noddy, Thank you both for the continued lesson Laughing

Miller, I'm sure you're right, which is why I don't indulge often in the heavy cream area.
I actually eat pretty healthy most of the time, but once in a while I need to be bad.
I made a batch of yogurt last night and this is usually what I indulge in for my treats. Throw some fresh fruit in there and I'm a happy camper.

When it gets hot in the summer, I occationally crave I'ce cream. Bought a new ice cream machine last week, but I bought it mainly to make frozen yogurt, sherbet and frozen healthy drinks, which the machine does all.

It's a Cuisinart and I'm sure you know that means something good is going to come out of there ;-)

Anyway, I have to make one batch of real fat filled ice cream to break in my sweet new machine, then I'll be back to my low fat, healthy diet :-D
0 Replies

panzade

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:20 am
What is heavy cream? If you have to make it, how, or where can you buy it?

Heavy cream, which is also called heavy whipping cream in many parts of the country, has a fat content of between 36% and 40%. Light cream has between 18% and 30% butterfat (but generally averages 20%), and light whipping cream has between 30% and 36% fat. If you find a carton in the store labeled whipping cream, it is bound to be light whipping cream. Many, many supermarkets carry heavy cream, but perhaps you should ask the manager at yours if it is available. We doubt that substituting light whipping cream for heavy cream will seriously compromise whatever you're cooking, if you must make the substitution.

http://www.ochef.com/287.htm
0 Replies

panzade

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:24 am
We have a new ice cream maker...does yours have a cylinder that freezes in the freezer?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:29 am
Btw: organic whipping cream should be "heavy cream" as well since it has at least 32% fat ... (mostly, however, a lot more: up to 40% according to recent test results here).
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
panzade wrote:
What is heavy cream? If you have to make it, how, or where can you buy it?

Heavy cream, which is also called heavy whipping cream in many parts of the country, has a fat content of between 36% and 40%. Light cream has between 18% and 30% butterfat (but generally averages 20%), and light whipping cream has between 30% and 36% fat. If you find a carton in the store labeled whipping cream, it is bound to be light whipping cream. Many, many supermarkets carry heavy cream, but perhaps you should ask the manager at yours if it is available. We doubt that substituting light whipping cream for heavy cream will seriously compromise whatever you're cooking, if you must make the substitution.

http://www.ochef.com/287.htm

Thanks Panzade. That helps a lot :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:19 pm
panzade wrote:
We have a new ice cream maker...does yours have a cylinder that freezes in the freezer?

Yeah, it's a cuisinart and I bet it's gonna bring me good stuff :-D

Glad I read everything because you can't put that stuff in the dishwasher, so don't put in in the dishwasher, Panzade ;-)

Happy creaming :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:28 pm
Just checked the whipping cream container and it's 35%, so I figure that'll make a decent batch.
After that, I'm sticking with the frozen yogurt.

Got a yogurt machine too. Just got done not long ago and am waiting for it to cool down before I refrigerate.

Gonna be great at this time of year with all the fresh fruit and berries :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Btw: organic whipping cream should be "heavy cream" as well since it has at least 32% fat ... (mostly, however, a lot more: up to 40% according to recent test results here).

I've never seen organic whipping cream. Walter, but the grocery stores here are starting to catch up with the times and I'm seeing a ton more organic products this year :-D
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:18 pm
Cereal cream = half n half , 10%

"Coffee cream" also called "Table cream" = more fat than half n half, 18%

I used to live near a Parmalat plant Smile

Coffee cream does rock in coffee as a treat...mm.
0 Replies

Montana

Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:25 pm
Thanks MP :-D

I got a bit confused about some stuff when I moved from the US to here after spending most of my life there and cream is up there with the metric system Shocked

The milk in a bag had me laughing for a bit and I still laugh when I watch the weather forcast, when they're talking about a storm rolling in, they say "there's a disterbance moving in". Laughing
0 Replies

Sanjeev Agrwal

Wed 5 Aug, 2015 03:51 am
I think coffee cream is a heavy cream, but it's not as heavy as whipping cream.

0 Replies