Terrorism Wanna bet?

frolic

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
After a few days offline i had expected, with my comeback to my favorite forum, a huge discussion on the online trading scheme the Pentagon intended to launch the next days.

Here is the BBC report on it.

Quote:
Pressure mounts over terror bets
Democrats in the United States are demanding details of any Pentagon project related to the online trading scheme that aimed to predict terrorist attacks.
They are also calling for those responsible for the trading market, which was abandoned just one day after its details were revealed, to be sacked.

Republicans have joined the Democrats in criticising the online market, saying the Pentagon never made it clear that the US Congress would be funding the project.

The trading market would have worked by taking bets on future terrorist attacks, conflicts, and assassination attempts.

From the trading patterns, the Pentagon hoped to gain clues about possible terrorist attacks that might not be picked up by government agencies.

But the scheme was quickly withdrawn and widely condemned, with Democrats in the US Senate describing the plan as grotesque and ridiculous.

I think those who thought it up ought not only close down the programme, they ought not be on the public payroll any longer
North Dakota Democrat Byron Dorgan
Senator Byron Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat, said: "I think those who thought it up ought not only close down the programme, they ought not be on the public payroll any longer."
Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Ted Stevens, of Alaska, said: "It's totally unauthorised as far as we're concerned. No funds should have been used for it at all."

Another Republican Senator, John Warner, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said funding information about the online trading scheme was vague.

The Pentagon had requested $3m for FutureMAP, or Futures Markets Applied to Predictions, next year and $5 million for 2005.

Senator Warner said: "You could not tell from this document requesting $3m what this programme was about."

The trading market would have worked by getting traders to deposit money in an account and using that to buy and sell contracts.

They would have made their money if a particular event actually happened

"Research indicates that markets are extremely efficient, effective and timely aggregators of dispersed and even hidden information," said US Defence Department, defending the idea in a statement on Monday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/3110095.stm

When we heard the news my entire family bursted into laughter. We thought it was a joke. But this joke has already costed $3m. I still dont get it! Who invented this? Who came up with such an insane plan? That name should be made public.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:09 pm
There are already three other threads on this subject. Is that a big enough reaction and discussion for ya? Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:09 pm
Poindexter
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:13 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
There are already three other threads on this subject. Is that a big enough reaction and discussion for ya? Wink

Butrflynet is right. Here's an especially juicy one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9980&highlight=
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:15 pm
Convicted Iran-Contra criminal Admiral Poindexter, of course! Seems rather appropriate to have a convicted criminal running a betting parlor, doesn't it?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:19 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

Butrflynet is right. Here's an especially juicy one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9980&highlight=

Some people :wink: brought to my attention there are already some threads on this topic.

So you can proceed the discussion HERE
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:20 pm
I was thinking about Admiral Poindexter today. Doesn't that sound like the name of a villain in "Rocky and Bullwinkle"? I think he was in cahoots with Boris Badinov and Natasha Fatale...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:23 pm
I wonder if his body guards are named Luigi and Guido? Considering the Yale Skull and Bones society origins of most of this crap, I suppose Poindexter's body guards are probably named Biff and Chip.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 04:31 pm
Somehow Luigi and Guido sound a little more intimidating, but I never guessed we'd elect a preppy cheerleader President, either...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 07:15 pm
Gawd! Someone's been reading Asprin's Mything Series.
0 Replies