ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:16 am
Mame wrote:
I don't drink milk anyway, so there's no point ...

If you use milk in tea/coffee, and you're a camper/cottager - it's easy to pack in.

Also, if you're one of the keen sorts who makes their own pancake/waffle mix to take camping, you can mix the powdered milk into your mix, and really only have to add oil/water at the campsite.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:08 am
Would never have occurred to me to buy powdered milk ever again except for this thread. Got some yesterday, mixed it up (yes, it really does mix better than it used to) and put it in fridge in a glass container. Tried it just now and -- it's good! I figure it saves @ $1 over a 4 litre bag of fresh milk. It's not a fortune but it will add up.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:39 am
Tai Chi wrote:
I figure it saves @ $1 over a 4 litre bag of fresh milk.

Really? What do you pay for liter? (Normal full/reduced here about 70 UScent/liter, organic $1 - no idea about milkpowder, you don't get it here besides as "coffee whiter" or "baby food" in supermarkets and regular shops.)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:50 am
Now you've got me second guessing my math Very Happy . If I buy a 4 litre bag of fresh milk it costs @ $4 Canadian, so @ $1/litre. The bag of powdered milk I bought promises to make 25 litres of milk and cost me just under $20. I was doing "quick and dirty" math in the store -- figuring powdered was the equivalent of 6+ 4L bags of milk which would have cost me @ $24. (Buying fresh milk 4L at a time is the most cost-effective way to go. The smaller the container, the more expensive proportionately.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 02:48 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Would never have occurred to me to buy powdered milk ever again except for this thread. Got some yesterday, mixed it up (yes, it really does mix better than it used to) and put it in fridge in a glass container. Tried it just now and -- it's good! I figure it saves @ $1 over a 4 litre bag of fresh milk. It's not a fortune but it will add up.

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it. I know the $ saved is not a lot, but you're right, it does add up. Cut a little here, a little there and before you know it you're saving $20 a month.
I drink a fair amount of milk so it helps out :-D

Where I am I pay over $6 for a 4 litre bag and that's too rich for my blood.

Happy savings :-D
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
you buy milk in abag? Thats disgusting.. I suppose that its some polystyrene container thats just as TCDD laden as any waxed cardboard milk container.

Whatever happened to bottles? was I away when they did away with bottles?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:33 pm
farmerman wrote:
you buy milk in abag? Thats disgusting.. I suppose that its some polystyrene container thats just as TCDD laden as any waxed cardboard milk container.

I guess it depends on how long you've been away, farmerman Smile

For convenience sake we buy 4L of milk at a time -- in bags or a large jug -- either way it's packed in plastic. I guess the other bonus with powdered milk is that while it's purchased in a large plastic bag when I mix it with water I can store it in the fridge in a glass container. Milk always tastes better from glass.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:36 pm
farmerman wrote:

Most areas of Canada went to bagged milk close to 40 years ago.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:39 pm
When I was living in the US, I laughed about the Canadians with their milk in a bag, but now I'm not laughing. It's such a waste and I like to do what I can to cut back on using that stuff.
I still use plastic containers, but I'm going to stop that as well.

Heads off to ebay to check out glass bottles that are just the right size and have a tight cover.

I want the glass bottles back!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:40 pm
ehBeth wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Most areas of Canada went to bagged milk close to 40 years ago.

Yeah, as far back as I can remember, they had the bags. Was laughing for 40 years Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:44 pm
Well, we do try to buy the 4L jugs at Mac's -- you pay a deposit and get it back when you return the jug (and they're recycled to make drainage hose or something). There's so little fat in skim milk that the bags are easily rinsed out and they're really sturdy. They're the perfect size for sandwiches if you pack a lunch. (Montana's now wondering why I haven't been posting on the money saving tips thread... Smile )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:44 pm
Howcomes nobody sends me the memos?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:46 pm
Anyone remember when the milk bags first came out - and people tried to figure out what to put them into to serve the milk? There were some funky ugly pottery containers out there.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:49 pm
Yeah, I was little, but I remember that Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:51 pm
I was 3 years old when we moved back to Canada for a few years and that's around the time the bag thing started. I'm just in awe that it's still sold this way Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:52 pm
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/images/milkoop.jpg

At least the new ones have lids so the bag doesn't fall out if you tip it too far.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:56 pm
I love that busted ceramic tile mosaic look. That is so cool. I dont predict that US will embrace bags O milk. Were not that bright down here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:27 pm
ARA used those stupid bags in college dorms. They'd put them in and forget to cut the nipples off. Since there were never any knives, I'd stick a fork through 'em, which created a wonderful sprinkler effect. Anybody with an IQ over 110 quickly realized to simply push your glass up to collect the spray. It usually took the lunchroom janitor and several victims enough time to figure out what was going on to get a few laughs out of dorm-dinner.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:09 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/images/milkoop.jpg

At least the new ones have lids so the bag doesn't fall out if you tip it too far.

Hey, that's my milk container! Shocked

What are you doing with my milk container? Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:13 pm
farmerman wrote:
I love that busted ceramic tile mosaic look. That is so cool. I dont predict that US will embrace bags O milk. Were not that bright down here.

I like the tile too :-D

Ahhhhh tiles, another future planned project. Hope I live long enough to do all this stuff.

Yeah, I got spunk and I'll get it all done :-)

So, do you think the bagged milk is a good thing?
0 Replies