farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:08 pm
I used to use it as a tomato fertilizer since it had approximately the same P-K-N of commercial fertilizers (when mixed at about a cup/gallon of water. It was actually cheaper than 5-10-5

Mix it with malt powder and dump it liberally on vanilla ice cream.

mix with dry dog food at about 3T per cup water

I hear you can make a drink from it but I dont know about that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:09 pm
mmm well yes

it's good if you're cooking for someone who wouldn't otherwise be getting in enough calcium - people who won't drink milk

it really helps with adding a rich texture/flavour to some baked goods/soups/puddings etc without adding to the fat content in the way some other ingredients might

there's a ham and cheddar crockpot soup I've been making for about 30 years that's just kinda skinny tasting without the powdered milk

I'm not going to willingly/knowingly drink milk made from powdered milk - but as an ingredient it can be quite effective.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
sprinkle liberally on salmon along with garlic and paprika. It makes a great crust when fired up.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
wow, seems to be a great cooking ingredient.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:44 pm
I think it is, CJ, plus it's CHEAP, easily stored, and lasts forever.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:41 pm
Mame wrote:
I can't drink the stuff. I just want to gag at the smell. My parents used to make it and there'd be yellow lumps floating on the top and my throat would close up and I couldn't drink it at all. I was told to hold my nose and drink it but no way.

Since I did the dishes, my sisters would pay me to dump their milk down the drain. I made a lot of money.

My parents drank regular milk, which we all thought highly unfair.

Uh, yeah. It's much more soluable than the early attempts. Doesn't smell so hot when you first mix it, but refrigerate it of a few hours, and I can't tell it from skim milk.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:16 pm
material girl wrote:
Have you tried rice milk Montana?
Also other substitute milks with no dairy in them.
Admittedly the dont all mix with coffe but are perfect for cereals and shakes.

No, never tried it. Does it come in powdered form and how's the price?

I'm willing to try anything that's at least healthy and will save me a few bucks Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:20 pm
roger wrote:
Embarrassed I pay a bit more and get it in premeasured bags.

Shocked Oh Roger, that's just wrong Laughing

I premeasure mine into mason jars and have them stacked all nice and neat on my special milk shelf Laughing

I know, I'm crazy Shocked Sometimes I feel like Martha Sterawrt Shocked Laughing Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:21 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I snort the stuff.

I figured as much.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I know slappy likes to roll in it, then dip himself in chocolate, and run around as crazy, naked, malted milk chocolate covered hot dog guy.

Yup, sounds right Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:23 pm
hamburger wrote:
mrs h uses powered milk when she prepares a large batch of aspargus soup for the cold canadian winter !
the p.m. gives the soup more body and great flavour .
hbg

It truly is great for cooking :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:33 pm
Mame wrote:
I can't drink the stuff. I just want to gag at the smell. My parents used to make it and there'd be yellow lumps floating on the top and my throat would close up and I couldn't drink it at all. I was told to hold my nose and drink it but no way.

Since I did the dishes, my sisters would pay me to dump their milk down the drain. I made a lot of money.

I remember the stuff all too well, which is why I stayed very clear from it all these years, but then I somehow ran across something on the internet where someone was talking about how much powdered milk has changed (for the better, much better) over the years. They process it much different now than they did back then and I promise no clumps of any sort.
I had already started drinking skim milk after the acid reflux thing because the whole milk is too heavy and the skim milk in the carton was ok after I got use to it, but after I read about the powdered milk of today, I decided to try it and to my surprise, I like it much better than the other skim milk in the carton.
I find it thicker than the skim in the carton and I was pleasantly amazed.

I dare ya to try it, just for the hell of it ;-) Just get the smallest package you can find and if you don't like it, pour it in a bath for some super soft skin :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I use powdered milk much like mrs. h - when making cream soups

(finally - something I taught her :wink: )

- powdered milk was a staple for cooking from the Diet for a Small Planet Books back in the day.

Back in the day of clump milk Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I never tried powdered milk.
Any advantages other than not getting spoiled?

Yes, less calories and cheaper.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:40 pm
farmerman wrote:
I used to use it as a tomato fertilizer since it had approximately the same P-K-N of commercial fertilizers (when mixed at about a cup/gallon of water. It was actually cheaper than 5-10-5

Mix it with malt powder and dump it liberally on vanilla ice cream.

mix with dry dog food at about 3T per cup water

I hear you can make a drink from it but I dont know about that.

Fertilizer, eh? Cool.

I make myself a shake every single day. Fresh fruit, powdered milk (prepared) and Splenda.

Yummy :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:42 pm
roger wrote:
Mame wrote:

Uh, yeah. It's much more soluable than the early attempts. Doesn't smell so hot when you first mix it, but refrigerate it of a few hours, and I can't tell it from skim milk.

Yeah, you have to refrigerate it for a few hours for it to be really good. I never drink it right after I made it. If possible, I like to refrigerate it over night.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
wow, seems to be a great cooking ingredient.

It truly does wonders in cooking. You can even put some in your bath and it makes your skin extra soft. Read that on some beauty sites when I was looking for moisturizer info.

I love the stuff and it's only 90 calories a cup (60 calories less than whole milk) :-D
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:10 am
Montana wrote:

I dare ya to try it, just for the hell of it ;-) Just get the smallest package you can find and if you don't like it, pour it in a bath for some super soft skin :-D

No way! Too many bad memories for a retrial. I don't drink milk anyway, so there's no point ... I'll just take everyone's word for it that it's better and clump-free... happy drinking, guys. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:13 am
You can also dip your headlights in it and then post pictures on A2K.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:13 am
hamburger wrote:
mrs h uses powered milk.

Does it give strenght too? Shocked
0 Replies